John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, that was main part of your comment:

"You amp's compensation is way to complex to be analyzed by simple inspection. I've counted up to three feedback loops and four poles, then stopped. It appears to be some sort of output inclusive TPC, tamed at HF (where the output stage phase shift starts to be critical for stability) by a lead-lag pole-zero pair.

This would require capturing in a simulator and start analyzing each loop for stability and other properties. I'm afraid I don't have the time to go through this exercise."

Of course, you are correct, but I really tried to make my own corporation, business partnership, VP of another corporation, and a consultant at large. It is tough to get a business type to work with you, who will NOT take the majority share. It is more than just business, it is also how much you want to charge the public for your efforts. I never asked for enough, when I was in charge.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
While I have worked with and known some 'salesman' types who have made serious money in audio, I have never met a real audio design engineer who did more than moderately. It is NOT a profession to make money in.

It seems the ones that make money from audio are the ones that make designers work for them. Mark Levinson comes to mind.

Jan

Your Research

Richard,

This might be a pretty important research you are about to embark upon and I hope you document the hell outta it. complete with methodology, process,
plenty of pics and data that both support and can be explained or not and
those that don't support and can be explained or not.

Heck, this should be an AES research presentation of it's own.
The good thing Hopefully it will be finite., That is and answer of yes
we can find it and identify or not identify vice we can't find why it sounds
different.

In fact it might be more important that we realiaze at this time.
So extra notes in the logs please. And, as is your typical process
always validating and cross checking with your other instruments.

Good Luck Richard, this post will self destruct in 5 seconds

Do you also have info on the FM 223? It's touted as 'the world's best phono preamp'. Has switchable eq curves. I wonder what the price is?

Jan

Just was it is on the homepage

FM 223 - FM ACOUSTICS LTD.

Price as far as i know is apx. 45'000 Swiss Franks plus Cables ( 2k), and you wait at least 6 Months after full payment in advance.

Difference to my 222 is de-click circuit, 100/120 Hz Notchfilter and improved modules, having better noise figures and maybe better soundquality.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
What was that Audio General 511?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/268708-agi-511-preamplifier.html#post4202906

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/268708-agi-511-preamplifier-2.html#post4253786

2. Take the LP.... we just have covered pages on it... but only maybe .01% of what there is to know about it has been brought up......the many cal/adjustments cart tips and all...... did every one of the changes and developments go thru abx or dblt? No. What then?

Most have been covered multiple of times.
Regarding cal/adjustment, it is THE most important step but I hope you are able to differentiate btn the rational and the illusionary.
Take the paper you have linked to for example :)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/146693-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii-6490.html#post4292523

George

In any event the white noise test is fascinating---although somewhat difficult to understand how that many preamps were so severely limited in slew rate and/or overload margin at high frequencies. It does lead me to want to stick with a design in which both SR and OL margin are ludicrously excessive by traditional measures.

Note the OL margins in my published designs. Tubes can have their advantages...:D

Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• AGI 511.JPG
    AGI 511.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 246
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am reading the AG511 schematic.
Aren’t there any problems when directly grounding pins 1 and 13 of uA749?
(output is taken from pins 2 and 12)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/268708-agi-511-preamplifier.html#post4202906

http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/cross/data_sheets/UA749.pdf

George

Yes, Jan is correct. I see someone can get IC's to work. :D I see it passed the noise test with bare undegenerated LTP's at the input, the power of feedback. :) Did Alvin mention TIM, I know PIM was not around yet?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I met the elder Saul Marantz at the CES many years ago and it reminds me that he was concerned about the large number of different EQ characteristics used by record companies. To solve the problem Saul designed a preamp that incorporated many EQ curves. From that, his friends convinced him to go into production. It was called the Audio Consolette. Saul wasnt trained in electrical engineering and so Sidney Smith visited him and later the Audio Consolette was modified to reduce noise and the Model One was born. The Model One added RIAA EQ for the first time. Sidney stayed on to become chief engineer.

Might be interesting to measure one of those units to document the EQ curves.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.