John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure you have, most Metal Halide (HID) lamps are up in that range. I prefer a sodium lamp (HPS) over a MH lamp even if the HPS is basically mono chromatic.

It is new to you and the rest of the general public, but not new to lighting.
ah, ok..thanks. I was thinking about LED's.

Might actually be better as a worklight for my clockwork bench, I tend to need lots of light there. (the eyes are getting very old).

jn

Might actually be better as a worklight for my clockwork bench, I tend to need lots of light there. (the eyes are getting very old).
Lighting was my most recent career :) Try a CMH lamp [35(39),50,70]or a Biax(GE),dulux(Sylvania) (long twin tube) I have boxes of ballasts. I pretty much converted over to T5 lamps for linear fluorescent, they have many options. Most fluorescent ballasts, carry a 5 year warranty. I have converted old T8/T12 fixtures to T5HO, you need some new step-down lamp sockets and a new ballast too.

Last edited:
Philips has a LED lamp that is basically RGB, you control the colour temp which is a great idea. Check out Lamps | Philips

and
Philips MASTER LEDlamps - for general and accent lighting

Like you are going find this selection at Home Depot :)
Some of these specialty lamps, you have to buy in case quantities = enough to last a life time.

In a waiting room somewhere, I was reading a magazine about lighting and audio for professionals. One manufacturer makes led lighting that has seven different led colors in it. It appears to be better for color rendition than a simple RBG light as it fills in the spectra holes.

jn

One manufacturer makes led lighting that has seven different led colors in it. It appears to be better for color rendition than a simple RBG light as it fills in the spectra holes.
Sure, that makes sense, the goal is to have the same CRI as the sun = 10. If you look at a typ white LED spectrum, it is obvious where those holes are (blue/green spectrum) I think mixing white light led's with some discrete mono chromatic leds, would balance out the spectrum. You can buy LED modules now, they are standardized = www.zhagastandard.org/
http://www.lighting.philips.com.sg/...pages/fortimo/philips-fortimo-led-systems.wpd

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
interference around 30kHz

Years ago and in the evening before a new powered speaker had to ship to a trade show, a Harman employee came to me with a problem. It was an unusual event---not that problems were rare, but that he should actually come to me for advice (I was resented widely by then as a consultant who had just too much fun).

It seemed that, despite operating well enough in prior tests, the touch-sensitive controls became inoperable when tested on a fancy bench in the lab. I suggested that the radiation from the fluorescent lamp electronic ballast was the culprit, desensitizing the circuit. The latter was cobbled from an Ideas for Design and modified slightly by the employee, and it became one of his first "notable" achievements.

I had suggested as well some months before that there might be noise problems, and devised an alternative which used synchronous detection for very high noise immunity. This clashed with the employee's plans for ego gratification and world domination and was rejected.

But now things were at a crucial juncture. Too late for anything as radical as my poor man's lock-in amplifier. But I said How about putting about 10k here and here....

It fixed the problem, the unit shipped and worked for the show, and the product became one of the most popular and well-reviewed three-piece powered loudspeaker systems for Harman Multimedia (that latter company dismantled by the incoming CEO upon Sidney's retirement, the only part of Consumer that was actually making money). It's in its third incarnation now, still with the touch-sensitive controls for up/down level and mute. ~$220 at Amazon.

After I left Harman in 2004, a few years later I got one of those congratulatory letters from the company that sells plaques commemorating your invention. The employee and his attorney had added my name to his patent! For two resistors. Since then I tell people that I hold 4.1 patents, the four sole inventor ones and this 0.1 one.

Brad

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The first 6500 degree lights I installed where to replace the Florescent lamps built-in everywhere in the house as indirect lighting. I did buy them at Home Depot. several years ago. The LED bulbs are still expensive but will be white light where ever I need them as price drops.

THx-RNMarsh

After I left Harman in 2004, a few years later I got one of those congratulatory letters from the company that sells plaques commemorating your invention. The employee and his attorney had added my name to his patent! For two resistors. Since then I tell people that I hold 4.1 patents, the four sole inventor ones and this 0.1 one.

Brad

That's funny! When I left Interlink, they patented at least three or four things that I had invented and left me off all the applications.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Many support calls, "why does my radio not work anymore with your new electronic ballast"!
Answer, "oh well, a trade off, so that the world saves on tons of coal usage and use an outdoor/remote antenna with shielded coax or move the radio far away from the lamps/noise source."
Of course AM radio is not exactly in its ascendancy at this time. But lighting an electronics workbench is a pain with CFLs.

Although I can use halogen lamps at least, there is another ubiquitous noise source on the power line, not quite synchronized to the 60Hz, that gets into everything. I don't know what it is but it is clearly bearing information. It makes it nearly impossible to work on low-level circuitry---sometimes I resort to battery-powered preamps to get out of the grunge.

The US DOE has a clause in the latest ballast/lighting CFR, that allows magnetic ballasts/fixtures to still be used/manufactured, for lab/sensitive area usage. Stock up, as all the mfg's have discontinued them. I know Home Depot still sells them for replacement purposes, but once the supply is used up = no more mag ballasts.
LED tech will generally not help, as the culprit is the SMPS, unless one uses a different PS tech = DIY LED ballast. :)

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
LED tech will generally not help, as the culprit is the SMPS, unless one uses a different PS tech = DIY LED ballast. :)
Yes, precisely. I gather there's some movement toward d.c. distribution for LED lighting, which is eminently sensible. And the series string can have individual electronic bypassing for defective LEDs---although with typical LED lightbulb replacements, it's usually some electrolytic that goes before the LEDs.

Switchmode doesn't have to be noisy, but it adds parts and thus cost to render it quiet. Bruce Hofer told me that he was resistant to SMPS in recent models of Audio Precision instruments, but by working hard to locate a good supplier, adding a very good common-mode choke, and lots of shielding, they actually did get acceptable performance---in fact he said that even the former flagship System Two with its toroidal mains transformer and linear regulators, always had detectable line frequency harmonics in the FFT output. These are not visible with instruments using the switchers.

Having had someone in another forum declare that SMPS outputs had output noise in the few microvolt region, which I noisily disputed, I asked BH about how his did. His answer, as I expected, was a few millivolts. He told me this after he recovered color in his face when I said I'd told the microvolt guy that a few microvolts was bullsh*t. I almost felt like apologizing and explaining that I had lived in California my entire life.

Brad

Agree, the long life of LED tech is defeated, if the PS is the weakest link, unless the two are independently replaceable, which as we all know, adds costs and goes against the norm of throw it away. The only answer, is legislation, to keep electronics out of land fill.
My old Amber 3501A test set, use a SMPS, it runs up above the measurement freq >100KHz, but is followed by linear reg's and many RF coils.
Dead LED bypass devices are available too, but once again, add significant costs and goes against the throw it away norm.
FCC vs SMPS, we all know how much a joke this is.
SMPS emissions. With LED you stand a chance, with a CC source. With fluorescent, not a chance, as the 1/2 bridge driver/oscillator spray tons of RFI noise.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The Benchmark power amp uses smps and Bascom King measured it. He shows it to be the lowest noise PA and lowest distortion he ever measured. Everything Audio Network: EAN Spec-Check!Benchmark AHB2Amplifier Benchtest:

So those PS dont have to be noisy.

THx-RNMarsh
The Benchmark review by Galo explains that they had determined that power amplifier gains are, by and large, unnecessarily high, and set about making something with lower gain. If done right this can help a lot.

Before the startup company lost the entire technical staff after realizing that the founder was, errr, playing games, I inherited a small-board (~5" x 4") 2 x 100W switchmode amp design based on an IR reference design. By changing the gain structure and prefacing with a reasonably-quiet line amp input section based on a discrete JFET follower with load compensation and some then-National new bipolar op amps, I got the output noise, measured through the Ap and the passive filter accessory, down to about 30uV rms unweighted in the 22Hz-22kHz band. It could have been pushed down further if the video amp that was at the heart of the switcher were changed to something still lower noise, but as it was the best source components that we could find at the time produced far more noise at the amplifier output and thus the loudspeakers. Distortion was also exemplary, despite this being a relatively simple class-D self-oscillating topology. A good deal of credit should be given to the outstanding board layout guy, Scott Rider. Oh, it even sounded good :)

One item in the Bascom King account, a note from the editor: the noise improved by 3dB when the input was terminated with 60 ohms instead of 300. This is a trifle worrisome, implying very high parallel noise. Considering the obvious care with which Benchmark has engineered the product, one hopes that the reported drive impedance effect is an artifact of the test setup or a peculiarity of the particular sample.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Agree, the long life of LED tech is defeated, if the PS is the weakest link, unless the two are independently replaceable, which as we all know, adds costs and goes against the norm of throw it away. The only answer, is legislation, to keep electronics out of land fill.
My old Amber 3501A test set, use a SMPS, it runs up above the measurement freq >100KHz, but is followed by linear reg's and many RF coils.
Dead LED bypass devices are available too, but once again, add significant costs and goes against the throw it away norm.
FCC vs SMPS, we all know how much a joke this is.
SMPS emissions. With LED you stand a chance, with a CC source. With fluorescent, not a chance, as the 1/2 bridge driver/oscillator spray tons of RFI noise.
The disgraceful behavior of manufacturers here: one might suppose that buying an incandescent replacement, whether CFL or LED based, with a warranty, would indicate that there's a reasonable expectation that the product will last as long as the warranty. But I'm given to understand that a more cynical attitude is prevalent: if the product fails they will replace it. And most people will just curse and toss the thing (rarely disposing of it properly of course). Manufacturers count on this and may well know that actual reliability is poor.

When the cost and inconvenience of replacement by the customer is considered, things are not such a great deal, especially in commercial and industrial settings.

The Benchmark power amp uses smps and Bascom King measured it. He shows it to be the lowest noise PA and lowest distortion he ever measured. Everything Audio Network: EAN Spec-Check!Benchmark AHB2Amplifier Benchtest:

So those PS dont have to be noisy.

THx-RNMarsh

Funny we have two camps here, Pono - measurements don't matter, Benchmark - if it measures better it has to sound better. Those guys really threw in the kitchen sink, SMPS, class H, "current dumping", I have to behave now they cited me on the class H patent. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.