John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ì was asking if you have series coupling test results...do you ?.

Dan.
I don't have the resources, neither mental nor hardware, to measure these ultra low distortion.

I have tried these for driving 8ohms speakers and for driving 32ohms and 300ohms headphones.

The headphones seemed to me to be completely unaffected by the added electrolytics in the signal path.

I am not so sure about the effect with the 8ohms speaker.

I used series/parallel quad:
one pair of polar -ve to -ve in series,
one pair of polar +ve to +ve in series,
then parallel these two series strings.
The effective capacitance of the quad is roughly the average of a single capacitor.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I thought distortion in electrolytics rises very quickly and in proportion to the AC voltage across the cap. So, the trick is to really oversize the device so the -3dB is at least an order of magnitude below the fo of interest. So if its 20 Hz, size the cap for a -3 dB of 2Hz or lower. Of course, if you want to use low values of cap, then bipolar or film is the way to go without having to worry about any distortion.

Let me make it clar here, this is just my understanding - Richard is the expert on these matters and my point of reference on the subject :)

I thought distortion in electrolytics rises very quickly and in proportion to the AC voltage across the cap. So, the trick is to really oversize the device so the -3dB is at least an order of magnitude below the fo of interest. .............
I have read similar in many sites.
My experience tends to confirm that this really is the case.

The science behind the over-sizing seems to also fit with listening experience.

Aim for <2Hz and the 20Hz to 20kHz audio band gets through.

dvv,
I think that two 6 1/2" drivers can do a very nice job if done correctly. I have some drivers I have designed that easily get down to 35hz and get up to 2.5Khz with a nice flat FR and very benign impedance curve, so I know it can be done. It is a shame that Harmon bought all these other companies such as Audax, they made some very nice devices. I've used many European made speakers and I did like some of the Audax tweeters. I've ised the Audax TWO25AO soft dome tweeters and though they were really inexpensive they measure extremely well and sound better than many more expensive soft dome tweeters. I guess those are no longer available if Harmon killed all of that off?

So do I - now. Until then, I had zero experience with twin drivers, not counting my AR94s, which also use two 8" drivers, however in a 2.5 way setup. They have he same general diameter, but the lower one is obviously different from the top one by having an easily seen much larger dust cap. The bottom one is cut off at around 150 Hz, leaving it all to the top one. And it wroks well indeed, but that's different. In the JBL Ti600, both drivers are "on line" from top to bottom.

I admit I was a bit sceptical intially, but hearing is believing, and it does work nicely, not boomy, rather pretty clear, relatively neutral and well controlled. Not too mcuh low end extension, but I'd gues around 50 Hz or so. In return, clean and clear. All in all, I think it was a very good buy, and my wife certainly likes them.

Actually, even I (since I don't do speakers, did it once and that was enough) know that a smallish driver can be made to have good low end extension, but usually at the cost of efficiency. These JBLs still manage a nominal 91 dB/1W/1m, which is quite reasonable. With heir H/K 680 integrated amp (nominally 85/130W into 8/4 Ohms) some 110+ dB SPL is quite possible, perhaps 1-2 dB above that before clipping. Quite enough for a smallish room and home listening.

Kindhorman, yes, unfortunately Harman Interntional put the lock on Son Audax in 2006. That's a bummer for me too, as replacement drivers are no longer available except with freak blind luck.

In my experience, it's the tweeters which tend to go first, so I have a stock of 3 spare ones, brand new meaning never used. Which is good, because one of the ones in the speakers seems to have given up the ghost, I have yet to investigate.

Crime of the century if you ask me, Son Audax was, along with Britain's Celestion, one of the two oldest loudspeaker driver manufacturers in Europe. I read that somewhere. I suppose economic reasons are omnipotent, but we are losing too many once very good companies. We lost Infinity, since what is now sold under that trade mark doesn't even resemble what they once were. Now it's a boom 'n fizz commodity based on percieved value, damn big cabinets with damn big bass drivers, looks like a good deal, but sounds like a bummer.

I thought distortion in electrolytics rises very quickly and in proportion to the AC voltage across the cap. So, the trick is to really oversize the device so the -3dB is at least an order of magnitude below the fo of interest. So if its 20 Hz, size the cap for a -3 dB of 2Hz or lower. Of course, if you want to use low values of cap, then bipolar or film is the way to go without having to worry about any distortion.

Let me make it clar here, this is just my understanding - Richard is the expert on these matters and my point of reference on the subject :)

Andrew, as I understood Bob's comment, the way to go is to use two bipolar types back to back, probably with a bypass film cap. That's supposed to reduce distorion, and specifically, Nichicon NP caps were mentioned.

As for oversizing, I agree completely. NEVER be stingy on caps.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Pono measurements available online now Pono PonoPlayer portable music player Measurements | Stereophile.com Not the most linear of devices, but of course open loop outputs sound so much better. For us objectivists there are better devices out there. Compare the -90dB plot with 16bit data against the xonar STX sound card. I note he doesn't even show that with 24 bit data. I wonder if it was equally bad?

Pono measurements available online now Pono PonoPlayer portable music player Measurements | Stereophile.com Not the most linear of devices, but of course open loop outputs sound so much better. For us objectivists there are better devices out there. Compare the -90dB plot with 16bit data against the xonar STX sound card. I note he doesn't even show that with 24 bit data. I wonder if it was equally bad?

:eek: 7ths and 11ths, I thought open loop circuits only had 2nds and 3rds.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
How I wish I had the memory to pull references and names "out of the bag" when I need it !

There are a few "capacitor comparisons" that are scientifically based and have been published over the years/decades.

All can be relied on to tell the "truth", but one MUST read what the testing did and what was being tested.

Virtually all the "filter tests" apply to filtering duties.
If you require a low distortion filter then a "filter test" report is the place to find the info.
Compare the reports from a few authors. If they agree and many will, then you can be assured they are right.

But, there is another duty where we use capacitors - signal coupling - the duty here is very different from a "filter".
A "filter test" report does not directly apply to a coupling duty.
One must be careful to extract the relevant information, if signal coupling is being examined.

Why is Signal coupling different from filtering?

Because the filter duty is looking at signals that are both above and below the "filter frequency" of the test.
Whereas for a signal coupling duty the signal is many octaves away from the turn over frequency, maybe even many decades away from the "filter frequency"

Take a filter of 10nF feeding a 10k for a "filter frequency" of ~1519Hz. Test the distortion at 1kHz or 1k65Hz or 2kHz or anywhere else close to the "filter frequency".
Now change the 10k to 1M to move the filter frequency down to ~15Hz.
Test for distortion in the range 1kHz to 2kHz. Is any distortion detectable?

Now apply the same analysis of "test reports" where electrolytics are used in filter/coupling duties.
eg, 1mF into 10k cf. 1uF into 10k The 1uF in various guises of P, NP, back to back and inverse parallel will have small amounts of distortion around the "filter frequency". And yes they will be different. Change to the 1mF and again look at distortion at those same frequencies for the various NP, P, B2B, ||, does the report mention any distortion? Did they try to measure the distortion in the pass band that is 2 or more decades above the new "filter frequency"?

Do they "test" 1uF NP and 220uF+220uF P+P in back to back format, in the Audio Passband?

Hi Andrew,

See Figure 13.3 in my book.

Cheers,
Bob

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, the trace is totally flat with the input grounded.

That most probably means that your 'regular' measurements ar not affected.

Thee's a ton of junk floating around that you can pick up with a probe as antenna; you'll never get that down to zero.
In a circuit the impedances are generally too low to pick it up.

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.