John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Frank likes CD's for the most part. I don't like them, personally.
Because I have heard how good they can sound - to me 95% of what pretentious audio systems produce is pretty rubbishy - roughly equivalent to a standard sedan bought by a kid who adds ultra wide tyres, a wide open exhaust, and revs the guts out of it as he trundles up and down the street, thinking he's impressing everyone ... sorry, kid ... :D .

What's wrong with Coldplay? I'm not following current pop at all, but a quick listen on YouTube shows something like a modern version of Little River Band - no prob's here, :) ...

By coincidence today I got an email from an old buddy who had his account here disabled. We share a taste for some "different" music like Einstürzende Neubauten, Laibach, Pere Ubu, etc.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
We share a taste for some "different" music like Einstürzende Neubauten, Laibach, Pere Ubu, etc.

That's quite a range of 'different'. I have had a brief youtube check and will dig more. I am also intrigued by the lastest BIS release. Notes from the owner of the label below

I suppose that one of the tasks I have here is to be honest and tell about the background to our recordings. This SACD was initiated by Noriko Ogawa, one of BIS's preferred artists, who has a significant international career and has made over 30 BIS albums.

She really wanted to record piano music by Yoshihiro Kanno, and who are we to deny such an Artist such a request? Having said that, I personally have difficulties in relating to the music, however well performed, and however imaginative it may be (incl. the usage of a toy piano). So, if you usually agree with me, I think you had better have a good listen before buying. In any case, Noriko certainly does the music pride. 24/96 as always, and to the price of an mp3 during the introductory week.

Doesn't that just make you want to listen to it?

Well Frank, what CD playback do you recommend?
John, the difficulty would be establishing a setup where the CD sound wasn't being degraded by factors that the users didn't understand and weren't controlling well enough. That said, this unit, which I heard myself at an audio show, CH Precision, is most likely going to nail it in an unknown setting, probably will be least compromised by its surroundings - it resolved the ambience of a test CD I had brought along, spot on.

Others have echoed my findings, it could be worthwhile having a listen ...

Status
Not open for further replies.