John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why the hell are you arguing to upsample again after downsampling? Upsampling after you've downsampled to 16/44.1/48 isn't going to make it any more CORRECT or INCORRECT. But you essentially argued that upsampling would make it MORE CORRECT when you made your 20kHz sine wave "argument."

Are you not even keeping track of what you have been saying?

se
Upsampling after downsampling was only to present consistent versions of a track to Richard, no other reason than that.

Upsampling an original low res version of a track was simply to present the music data to the DAC in the form which it would process most "correctly" - a poor analogy is selecting the "right" gear for driving a car up a hill, the wrong gear will still allow the car to get up the slope, but it won't do it in the most effective way - that's all that's happening.

Upsampling after downsampling was only to present consistent versions of a track to Richard, no other reason than that.

They would be consistent if the 16/44.1/48 track remained at 16/44.1/48 and just let the DAC do whatever it wants to do with it.

Upsampling an original low res version of a track was simply to present the music data to the DAC in the form which it would process most "correctly" - a poor analogy is selecting the "right" gear for driving a car up a hill, the wrong gear will still allow the car to get up the slope, but it won't do it in the most effective way - that's all that's happening.

Look, it's really simple. Just keep the 16/44.1/48 track as original. Establish an actual audible difference between that and a 24/96 of the same thing.

THEN we can move on to theories about the DAC receiving what it would process "most correctly."

Hell, Richard doesn't even need to go THAT far. Let him show that he can reliably hear a difference between a 256kbps MP3 and 24/96. THEN we can move on to 16/44.1/48.

But he'll never do even that so this is all just a waste of time.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
JC and I just talked briefly today about SE's shabby behaviour but the good news is that we thought to try a differential comparator (subtraction) between a pure analog sine wave(s) and its digital R/P in parallel path. Look to see what differences there are at various levels. Could even compare different types of converter architecture etc. But then there ought not be any differences by some accounts.

Who is up for that?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
People in this thread who are much more knowledgeable than I have put a mountain of "real effort into it." Yet you remain stubbornly, WILFULLY ignorant on even some of the most basic concepts. You are a huge waste of time and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the word "professional."

se

Wow! That is what you came up with? One more chance... now try harder... really try hard this time. Doesnt sound like your best effort. Maybe try baiting me. But dont hurt yourself. I'd miss you.

:drink:

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
JC and I just talked briefly today about SE's shabby behaviour but the good news is that we thought to try a differential comparator (subtraction) between a pure analog sine wave(s) and its digital R/P in parallel path. Look to see what differences there are at various levels. Could even compare different types of converter architecture etc. But then there ought not be any differences by some accounts.

Who is up for that?

THx-RNMarsh

Who is up for that?

Who is up for demonstrating they can reliably hear the difference between a 256kbps MP3 and 24/96?

se

It's a shame that Mooly's test was compromised by the low resolution download that some muppets passed off as genuine. If people could have passed it reliably then they might be taken more seriously on this issue. I can usually tell a 320kbs MP3 file from the WAV i converted it from but i have to admit it takes decent material to do so. 24/96 is much harder and to be honest, in a proper double blind test i would probably fail. That is my honest take on this based on listening to the dozen or so real high resolution files i have.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The Beatles USB drive contains the remasters as both MP3 and 24 bit/44Khz.
Listened to through the same DAC and class A discrete Fet electronics and electrostatics I can tell on most tracks, but not all which format is which. The source quality maybe the limiting factor at times so it may not be the playback resolution which is the issue on the less obvious selections.
Yes I know which source I'm using - so not as rigorous as a double blind, but on an informal basis I'm OK with that. It's audio, not an erection medication field trial.....

Last edited:
Yes I know which source I'm using - so not as rigorous as a double blind, but on an informal basis I'm OK with that. It's audio, not an erection medication field trial.....

It's all well and good to go with what sounds best to you whatever the reasons may be. But when you make objective claims as to actual audibility, then the onus is on the person making those claims to substantiate them with something more than empty hand-waving.

Otherwise, refrain from making such claims in the first place.

It's pretty simple. But apparently not simple enough for some.

se

I don't have to substantiate anything, I'm stating what my observations have been under the circumstances I described. Simple ought to be right up your alley, did some-one rearrange your meds while you were on-line?

I'd check your medicine cabinet first.

I wasn't referring to you specifically. I was referring to the collective "you" that includes anyone making objective claims.

se

And what's the hot 20kHz sine wave track to listen to? Bach? Led Zeppelin? Miles Davis? C'mon, who does it best? Which label? Which recording? Which master?

se
Status Quo is pretty good for checking out your high treble resolution: the drummer uses the cymbals a great deal throughout many of the tracks, and lesser systems make a complete mess of this aspect, there is just a white noise tish going on in the background - the system is struggling to get the guitars right, and has nothing left in the tank to deal with the drum sounds, ;).

As the highest level of playback, the drummer here sits in his space completely whole, and every subtle shimmer from the cymbals comes through, with beautiful clarity - a fine mist of sound spills throughout the listening space ...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I don't have to substantiate anything, I'm stating what my observations have been under the circumstances I described. Simple ought to be right up your alley, did some-one rearrange your meds while you were on-line?

Neither do I. And, attempting to bully or threaten or name calling or anything along those lines will get you no where. try your act out on your kids or wife/girl friend but it doesnt impress or me at all.... and certainly doesnt make me want to participate with you. So, I wont.

THx-RNMarsh

Status Quo is pretty good for checking out your high treble resolution: the drummer uses the cymbals a great deal throughout many of the tracks, and lesser systems make a complete mess of this aspect, there is just a white noise tish going on in the background - the system is struggling to get the guitars right, and has nothing left in the tank to deal with the drum sounds, ;).

As the highest level of playback, the drummer here sits in his space completely whole, and every subtle shimmer from the cymbals comes through, with beautiful clarity - a fine mist of sound spills throughout the listening space ...

You mean none of these artists have produced a straight 20kHz track?

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Who is up for demonstrating they can reliably hear the difference between a 256kbps MP3 and 24/96?

se

You try it. Not my game. mine is to explore the imperfections and see what it will take to make it more realistic. Why dont you try my idea?

Most people here have read that I dont actually care half the time if I can hear it this way or that way or at all..... I enjoy circuitry, topologies, tests & measurements, music listening etc. Like John, I believe in what I have learned to hear. There are a lot of things that are very very hard to hear any differences. I could give examples. And, there are times like what I described which is not hard to hear the change (for the better IMO). Sorry, but I wont be intimidated into not saying what ever i feel like here..

Now, I'm only wondering if I should use ADC/DAC from high end company or more modest ones like E-Mu or Behringer?

Remember, we arent doing anything so important as finding a cure for cancer.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.