John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong but popularity of recent vinyl upsurge may be because of internet, cool factor, owning music in physical form, in vougue etc. I doubt if most of vinyl purchase is for high fidelity. Doesn't HiFi vinyl playback require considerable choice of quality equipments ? I guess percentage of people opting that medium for SQ/High fidelity would be less comparatively.
Here is something interesting.

Sy-Didden, you missed The point. Again digital is The better source, vinyl fits the system better. So SY your presning may actually sound better when played through a system The number of domloads just show how close the computer giants are to have reached monopoly. Like all we can eat is farmed salmon and tasteless chicken.

And Jan that ritual part may actually be the one that saves our hobby, in actual numbers vinyl sales are low, but if the ones bying do if for the quality were on the right track

Last edited:
Last edited:
Personally I find the ritual part of value. I listen to music a lot, but if I really want to wind down and immerse myself I put on an LP. The ritual is very calming and soothing and somehow the music gets closer to me when I devote myself to actually playing a record.

Jan
Opposite for me...digital is totally ergonomically better, and the reproduction done right is light years ahead.
I put on a CD knowing that I can hear the whole recording without having to get up half way through and flip the record/clean the record/clean the stylus/cue the arm...what a PITA.
Vinyl is so last century. :headbash:

Dan.

It could also be the more simple. "It sounds better." All other notions seems like politicians explaining things they don't like.

I wish someone would break out the folks buying Abbey Road and DSOTM for $30-40 to play on their $99 USB turntable from the rest of the numbers. The displays turn up at Target, Best Buy, etc., all the time.

I'm more interested in the alternative artists embracing LP's but in 300-1000 quantities with lots of extras like hand painted jackets and fun inserts.

John were these your GD tapes - http://www.importantrecords.com/imprec/imprec399

I'm not a GD fan but I would consider trying this 100 performances of Dark Star rolled into 3 LP's. These guys are local and have an amazing catalog
of vinyl (not to everyone's taste of course).

Last edited:
What about CD compression? What is the purpose? It seems that CD dynamic range is not the same as on recording medium(master).
LP noise level on my analogue player is so low that could be ignored.I remember a review where my turntable was compared to master tape. Conclusion was that LP replay was almost identical to tape. My old commercial records sound extremely well. I do not like 180gr reissues since they are mostly dig. remastered and tailored with little pot. collet knobs.

IIRC the doomed DBX for LP offered a rather large compression/decompression. Are you sure you guys are talking about the same thing? I have some Joe Meek produced 45's that sit at 0 VU +-1dB.
Dead Kennedys generally and REM What's The Frequency Kenneth....masterful mastering from the point of view of VU meter constantly pinned at 0 VU....big sense of power and breathing space/dynamics.
Played at max level these tracks separate men systems from boy systems.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.