John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I drink alcohol I get different reactions, with bubbles I get light footed and happy, with drinks I get forward an talkative with beer I get bloated and lazy. What is going on, the alcohol is the same so my reactions should be the same. At least in all measurable terms.

Audio is trying to fool our hearing to believe that we're somewhere else listening to some great music from a great performer, when that illusion can be kept alive for lengths of time the system works.
This has nothing to do with how it measures, we don't listen in signals we listen in transients and what happens over time, not how well a given product can replicate a sine or two sines. The world is much more complex than that to be simplified in such a groase manner

Bingo....perhaps I should have edited down your quote in my first post....''certainly when I was playing with audibility of polarity, I could generate test signals that would give me significant results ears-only, but I could never consistently do that with music ''.

I did however say this ''With pop music don't expect all mics/sources to be same polarity, and don't expect all tracks on an album to be same polarity.
Often the top 40 release single will be inverted wrt the rest of the album, probably likely due to mastering in a different facility ''.

I don't listen to pop music, and polarity is not meaningful in that context- between multiple mikes and DI, there isn't a single "polarity."

OK, your polarity results are unsurprising; the sort of speaker you describe tends to have a very non-symmetrical response. I used very low distortion speakers when I fooled around with polarity.

...we don't listen in signals we listen in transients and what happens over time, not how well a given product can replicate a sine or two sines. The world is much more complex than that to be simplified in such a groase manner

In the context of boxes of gain, it really is quite simple. Voltage vs time, a one dimensional signal. Easy to compare input to output. Mikes, recordings, speakers, rooms, that's where the complexity (and interest) is.

The simple fact SY is that the very mention of John is like waving a red blanket in front of a charging bull, and for proof, I offer the last 50 pages of this thread. Anyone and everyone can see for themselves. Just mentioning John causes a slew of your messages, and since I refuse to do your homework for you, I suggest you ask a qualified psychologist to deny or confirm these easily seen facts.
The last 50 pages ?....try going all the way back to the start of diyAudio forum, evidence is provided ad nauseam.
Out in the real world it's called bullying, invariably accompanied by sycophant behaviour traits.
Breadth and depth of knowledge is not automatically intelligence.

Dan.

Yet all changes when you change a cable or place the "box of gain" on a different stand. Or you double the psu capacitance, yet the sine is the same, distortion remains the same. Just that the music is performed different, with different tempo and emotions. All is not measurable or we don't know how to measure it, or we don't know how to measure music performance. That is much much more subtle than something having great spechs.

I don't listen to pop music, and polarity is not meaningful in that context- between multiple mikes and DI, there isn't a single "polarity."
Drum mics, guitar mics and vocal mics have definite polarity, DI sources have choice.
OK, your polarity results are unsurprising; the sort of speaker you describe tends to have a very response.
BS. Such speakers are fine, it's the sound source/recording that is non-symmetrical.
I used very low distortion speakers when I fooled around with polarity.
Low distortion serves to make speech polarity more apparent.

Dan.

OK, have it your way. Your circuits make hifi systems sound nothing like live music. It's a curious claim, but if that's what you want, more power to you.
For me the difference is the hifi system should reproduce the source with gain and the source material should fool the ear/brain into some thing like live music . IMHO that may be what JC views as his goal and not fashion SY. Feel free to correct me on my view I know some one will.

Yet all changes when you change a cable or place the "box of gain" on a different stand.

My goodness, I'm not sure I've ever designed and built a box of gain that was so microphonic or unstable that either of those things would make a difference to the sound. Perhaps in the "high end" world there actually are designs that poor, like that amp we were talking about a day or two ago with gross frequency response errors, poor distortion, and bad reliability for $10,000. Or those beautiful and stunningly expensive French amps with chrome chassis, gross slew distortion, sickly frequency response, and catching fire from time to time?

For me the difference is the hifi system should reproduce the source with gain and the source material should fool the ear/brain into some thing like live music . IMHO that may be what JC views as his goal and not fashion SY. Feel free to correct me on my view I know some one will.

That's a system question, but I'd agree with your general view. John only designs boxes of gain, not mikes, recordings, speakers, or rooms, and those have a simple function- take an electrical signal and make it bigger.

Sy, you really need to get out more... A narrow mind needs good air. In music systems there so much that can create changes, inductance and capacitance form great microphones when vibrated, also something happens when your signal wire has half the gnd impedance. Again not visible in sines, but it can basically change the system quite a lot. Ignoring that is like commenting on the colors of a movie you have watched with sunglasses on. Being plain ignorant.

Yeah, and what you'd find then is when you look at the print you made with your calibrated printer using the paper profile developed to ensure neutrality, in the daylight light box, it doesn't look the same as it did on the monitor.
Let's put an end to this silliness now ... at one stage, about 10 years ago, I got very interested in the business of achieving colour correctness for printer output - and researched and played around quite a bit with this concept. Yes, it's a fascinating field, with endless subtle variations and myriads of things that impact the process. However, I lost interest after a while, and moved on to other things - unless someone was going to pay me for being this fussy I wasn't going to bother pursuing it.

However, that is all about accuracy - and I repeat, this is not so important to me, in the playback of "older" recordings - I'm well aware that a recording can sound like a million different records, just by playing it on a million different systems - so, I'm focused on those qualities which ensure that the subjective impact is similar to listening to live sound ...

I quoted an example above in jest - but it's actually a serious point: The CEO of a well known high end company would have us believe, without proof other than his word, that raising the cables off the ground makes a difference in the sound for the better. And then, in a further claim, the type of would block makes difference.
Unfortunately, there can be an effect - in hindsight, one of the reasons I struggled with my first achievements in "good sound" was highly likely this - but I was totally unaware of this "fetish", and never tried any experiments along these lines.

It's a materials effect, and a mongrel of a thing to get a grip on - as good a reason as any for going fully active, say, to bypass the whole nonsense ...

I think most electronics out there is quite decent.

That is indeed true. They do not "change when you change a cable or place the "box of gain" on a different stand." Designs that do are incompetent. As DF96 likes to point out, this is most common among the very cheapest and the very most expensive components. The vast majority in the middle are perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.