John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The basic premise of the Bybee's audio devices is that 1/f noise detracts from the listening experience: reduce 1/f noise and you improve the sound. The Purifier uses a combination of rare earth metal oxides in a ceramic form to absorb and dampen 1/f noise. The ceramic surrounds a low-value resistance (about 0.1 ohm). I asked Jack Bybee to provide me with a brief explanation of the physics and engineering taking place in the Quantum Purifier, without violating proprietary or classified secrets. The bottom line, as Bybee states, it is that "when developing the technology we did not fully understand why certain metal oxides absorb or damp specific frequencies and to the best of my knowledge we still do not."
I just know that they do have audible effect.

Dan.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is a paper by IIRC Phillipe Eberhard propositing that causality can never be violated, yes the argument goes on.

Scott
P.H. Eberhard and R.R. Ross were not generalizing
Quantum field theory cannot provide faster-than-light communication - Springer

yes it's equally non-intuitive either way but the distinction is important.

The debate lasts for years
Backward Causation (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

"A general notion of backward causation raises two sets of questions: those concerning conceptual problems and those that relate to empirical or physical matters."

George

Attachments

• Superluminal.JPG
    Superluminal.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 190
So how low in frequency did you go ?.
To go very low requires seriously long averaging times.

Dan.

I start at just above the 50/60 Hz line, which I cannot touch if I want AC to remain AC as expected. It goes down about -2 dB at 1 kHz, and then progressively down to -60 dB at 20 kHz and onwards. AS most filters, it has a "comeback" at arounh 300-350 kHz and then decends from tha point onwards to a maximum of some -84 dB of suppression.

So far I have had problems with only one unit, so I kep thet one because I want to find out exactly why it behaves funny upon switch on, which means upon plugging the cable into the socket or the other side into its input IEC recepatcle. Sometimes spark appear and it's tripped the line 16A (at 220 VAC) fuse a few times. No obvious reason, but to me this is serious midbehaving. I reckon it ain't smarter than me, so I want to know what gives. Never before, never after that one sample. It's a great who done it police story.

Below are the basic dual or super filter modules and a my top model with 6 parallel filters inside. I wasn't selling air, I wasn't.

Attachments

• BasicModule6401.jpg
    BasicModule6401.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 183
  • QuintetWeb8005.jpg
    QuintetWeb8005.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 177
I'll stay out of the Bybee story as much smarter people here have already debunked all the silly claims made. However a comment somebody made about what is taught in college just irks me to no end. Who says that everything you are taught in college is correct? There are as many opinions and text full of them in college courses as anywhere else in life. Just as much junk comes out of some of these texts as from some patent medicine ads of old. Are all college text vetted by a group for accuracy, I highly doubt that.

I have said so many times in the past that sometimes the worst employees are the ones right out of college who have their heads filled with mis-information and many times out of date information. I have nothing against a college educated person but that does not guarantee accuracy or competency when we move beyond text to reality.

Some of us study all the time and learn new things and relearn some old things. It is curiosity that usually brings forth the excellent thinkers, not those who are satisfied that they know it all.

Do I believe that a rare earth element doped into a ceramic matrix can in anyway be a discriminatory or differential acting process, NO WAY. Do I believe that you could place a simple low impedance resistor into a circuit and hear that, more than likely so. Is that a quantum effect, no. is it something that can be measured and shown, no doubt. Does it make any real difference in sound quality, probably very unlikely.

I'll stick with the smarter than me crowd here and keep my money in my pocket.

Now what DVV is showing and proposing is something I think we all can understand and do believe can make a difference when implemented correctly. Nothing wrong with removing power line noises before they enter our equipment, that is something I haven't seen anyone dispute. I suppose you could get that wrong like anything else with poor design but that could be measured and any improvement or degradation should be something that can be shown with real science.

So far I have had problems with only one unit, so I kep thet one because I want to find out exactly why it behaves funny upon switch on, which means upon plugging the cable into the socket or the other side into its input IEC recepatcle. Sometimes spark appear and it's tripped the line 16A (at 220 VAC) fuse a few times. No obvious reason, but to me this is serious midbehaving. I reckon it ain't smarter than me, so I want to know what gives. Never before, never after that one sample. It's a great who done it police story.

Sounds like an arc mode. Once arcing occurs and the current reaches a certain threshold, it basically acts like a crowbar. GDT surge suppressors use this effect. When you plug it in and it sparks, the inductance of the socket wire resonates with the capacitors and can double the line voltage. After some series inductors the voltage can be boosted again by resonances if they fall in an unfortunate range.

One theory I have is that if an arc occurred, it may turn that power filter into a resonant oscillator, feeding the arc and keeping it alive rather than quenching naturally when the current drops low for long enough.

If so this could be tested by capturing the event on an oscilloscope and watching for oscillation. Capacitors which measure out of tolerance or significantly different from their original measurement would also be an indication.

Do you have the ability to do a "High Pot" test? This applies around 2500 volts for under 2 seconds to measure the resistance. It will show up insulation issues.

Biddle is the most popular of the tester manufacturers. I have some of their test gear that is probably more than 40 years old, works great, paid peanuts for it.

Simon, this is something more insidious. Once connected, it works flawlessly and reliably. it's only the moment of switching on that's problematic. The filters have no ON/OFF switches, they are meant to be plugged in and forgotten, and I would always look with suspicion on any high power switch for sparks and other folly.

I should soon move into my old room and thus reclaim enough space to be able to take it apart and seriously investigate the matter. It's behaving as if something inside is in short ciruit, which of course all the caps initialy are, but they are not big enough to do this sort of thing on any regular level. I might have a suspect cap or two which passedthe initial operation test before being soldered in, but may have developed problems later. If so, I should be able to locate them relatvely easy, I'll simply disconnect filters 2 and 3, see what happens, if nothing than reconnect fiter 2 and see when do the problems start. I'll probably change the caps on the one causing the problem and that might be it. If not, I'll play the detective some more.

And no, I do not have the capability od passing 2.5 kV anywhere, nor are the cpacitors meant to go that high.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
How easily we can be fooled :)

I've just had the most surreal and weird experience earlier today, and I've only just put two and two together on what happened.

I treated myself to a boxed set of solo piano music by Bartok before Christmas (totally unfamiliar to me) and I had "Mikrokosmos" playing (not loud). Suddenly there is this deep bang and I honestly thought it was something like a crash outside... I jumped up and looked out of the window... there it was again. At this point I actually went outside to look. I imagined it the sort of sound you would get kicking a ball at a large up and over metal door. Nobody around.

Only now, 7 hours later and playing the same disc do I realise what it is... its part of the music. There was just no way that sound came from the speakers, it was to real and "external". Of course now that I know , its a slightly different story, its not quite as real because I now know. First time round though and I truly didn't make the connection.

A quite amazing experience.

Sounds like an arc mode. Once arcing occurs and the current reaches a certain threshold, it basically acts like a crowbar. GDT surge suppressors use this effect. When you plug it in and it sparks, the inductance of the socket wire resonates with the capacitors and can double the line voltage. After some series inductors the voltage can be boosted again by resonances if they fall in an unfortunate range.

One theory I have is that if an arc occurred, it may turn that power filter into a resonant oscillator, feeding the arc and keeping it alive rather than quenching naturally when the current drops low for long enough.

If so this could be tested by capturing the event on an oscilloscope and watching for oscillation. Capacitors which measure out of tolerance or significantly different from their original measurement would also be an indication.

Good advice, thank you, I will give it a try. You culd be right, but I suspect that if you wre, that filter would not function normally and I know them well enough to be able to hear their funnies and/or presence, all the more so since one of them directly filters my power amp, another my tuner, and anther my CD player. Resonance would show up as quite udible.

I've just had the most surreal and weird experience earlier today, and I've only just put two and two together on what happened.

I treated myself to a boxed set of solo piano music by Bartok before Christmas (totally unfamiliar to me) and I had "Mikrokosmos" playing (not loud). Suddenly there is this deep bang and I honestly thought it was something like a crash outside... I jumped up and looked out of the window... there it was again. At this point I actually went outside to look. I imagined it the sort of sound you would get kicking a ball at a large up and over metal door. Nobody around.

Only now, 7 hours later and playing the same disc do I realise what it is... its part of the music. There was just no way that sound came from the speakers, it was to real and "external". Of course now that I know , its a slightly different story, its not quite as real because I now know. First time round though and I truly didn't make the connection.

A quite amazing experience.

Ah-oh, I sense a love affair in the making between the man and his speakers.

Simon, this is something more insidious. Once connected, it works flawlessly and reliably. it's only the moment of switching on that's problematic. The filters have no ON/OFF switches, they are meant to be plugged in and forgotten, and I would always look with suspicion on any high power switch for sparks and other folly.

I should soon move into my old room and thus reclaim enough space to be able to take it apart and seriously investigate the matter. It's behaving as if something inside is in short ciruit, which of course all the caps initialy are, but they are not big enough to do this sort of thing on any regular level. I might have a suspect cap or two which passedthe initial operation test before being soldered in, but may have developed problems later. If so, I should be able to locate them relatvely easy, I'll simply disconnect filters 2 and 3, see what happens, if nothing than reconnect fiter 2 and see when do the problems start. I'll probably change the caps on the one causing the problem and that might be it. If not, I'll play the detective some more.

And no, I do not have the capability od passing 2.5 kV anywhere, nor are the cpacitors meant to go that high.

Yes it sounds crazy to put such a high voltage on parts rated for less, but in the fine print specifications there often a "surge" or similar rating, that is what sounds like it is failing to me.

Hipot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia will bring you up on how to do the tests without damaging any good parts. I really suggest you keep an eye on eBay with a bit of luck you can get one for under $100.00.

As you are selling line operated equipment of high quality, you might want to add a test to your outgoing inspection process.

I suspect you have an inductor in there holding some residual magnetism and if you plug it in or turn it on on the wrong direction of mains you get an extra large surge for a half cycle.

Yes it sounds crazy to put such a high voltage on parts rated for less, but in the fine print specifications there often a "surge" or similar rating, that is what sounds like it is failing to me.

Hipot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia will bring you up on how to do the tests without damaging any good parts. I really suggest you keep an eye on eBay with a bit of luck you can get one for under $100.00.

As you are selling line operated equipment of high quality, you might want to add a test to your outgoing inspection process.

I am aware of the fact that surge voltages are considerably higher, I had that on my beloved Fisher & Tausche large caps, rated for 63V, surge voltage 71V in plain black and white written on them.

I will look over e-bay, of course, $100 is peanut money for basic safety, any money is peanut money to me if it concerns basic safety.

And I do test each and every outgoing unit, it has to be plugged in and working for a week. Then, it's remeasured once again and only if evyrthing is as it's supposed to me, it's shipped. This one passed those tests with no notes on it, so I supect the problem was developed later on, and obviously, I suspect one or more capacitors, Wima od not. But we'll see, it's no bogeyman, it just takes some care and much patience, I will nab the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.