John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Tom, manufacturers do not have an easy life there. They may know perfectly well that it's all hogwash, but there will be customers who might take that seriously enough to base their purchasing choice on that.

So, they are in fact strongarmed into irratioanl behavior by such urban legends. And once it takes root, it's hard to weed out. A guy was terlling me some time ago that he can tell from the sound of an amp what colour were the electrolytics in ?!? He finished his speech in a typical audio fedayeen (Believer) fashon with a question - don't tell me you can't hear that? I said hell no, I'm actually stone deaf, I'm just faking it with music to impress the chicks.

Thanks.

Are the boards made by using a CNC router to remove copper around the active traces, or are they etched that way?

There's been talk about dielectric hook, yet look at that board. Every single resistor and capacitor on those boards has a thin layer of plastic between the active element and the ground plane.

When's the last time the epoxy coating of a resistor was checked for dielectric hook? What about the coating of the capacitors?

sheesh..

jn

JN, this is the google translation (my japanese is only a bit better than Dejan's):

A. Situation before repairs* Personally it is phono equalizer AMP that you have purchased from abroad. Liquid and "sticky" As a result of the opening has been attached to the device.* I think it's leaking condenser. From the sender, shipping when it pointed out that it is the trouble at the time of transport because such a thing never.* Even if in any case, because it is personally equipment you wanted to use all means do not return to the other party, and I would like to use somehow B. Causes and current situation AE. Measurements in temporary repair C. Repair status* Electrolytic capacitor exchange* OP-AMP exchange* Film condenser exchange D. Used parts* Oh - electrolytic capacitor 24 for audio (Nichicon Muse use)* Four OP-AMP* 12 film condenser E. Adjustment and measurement F. Repair cost 85,000 yen* << Overhaul repair >>

Marce, my dear fellow, you are only 40 years too late with 90 degree angles.

Sometime in the mid-70ies, I read in a magazine (don't remember which, I read many at the time), a guy said exactly that, for sweet and natural sound, we should never, ever use 90 degree angles, but rather gentle slopes, presumably to prevent electrons from skidding off the right path to audiophile nirvana.

It takes all kinds. But appearently, some took this seriously. Just look at the artwork of Crown (Amcron) amps of the day, not a single 90 degree angle anywhere in sight, ditto for Sansui and probaby quite a few others.

Some still get rather upset if they see a 90 degree corner on a trace and some who believe it will affect the signal (below 10GHz), yet every signal that goes through a via has two 90 degree corners. 45 degree corners look nicer though...

Thanks.

Are the boards made by using a CNC router to remove copper around the active traces, or are they etched that way?

There's been talk about dielectric hook, yet look at that board. Every single resistor and capacitor on those boards has a thin layer of plastic between the active element and the ground plane.

When's the last time the epoxy coating of a resistor was checked for dielectric hook? What about the coating of the capacitors?

sheesh..

jn

Etched, if you look at the end features where the copper is missing there are 90 degree and sharper features, not radii like the machined boards.
It warms my heart to see maximum pour GND.

Status
Not open for further replies.