John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
And I am sure we can :)

If I make a 48kHz/24bit recording from vinyl, then I play analog vinyl and digital data through preamp with switchable inputs, levels matched - I can tell the difference. Same if I make a CD from vinyl and compare it directly to vinyl. It never sounds the same. What is my ADC good for if I can tell the difference, from imperfect sound source?

OK, that's fair enough, I accept that. The difference between the vinyl replay chain and the digital chain is huge in terms of circuitry.

Here in this test we have identical set ups where the change is just one active device. That change results in a massive change in the numerical specs. You've only to look at the distortion spectra to see that. A change far greater (I would assume) than you comparing the final files of your vinyl vs recorded chain.

No one has offered an opinion as yet on the most basic test... how they come across when simply listened to.

Attachments

• 8022.PNG
    8022.PNG
    21 KB · Views: 209
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
1) what was the amplitude of the fundamental
2) what would be the load resistance

Please always provide complete information.

I already gave that information plus referred to David's complete spec info on another forum. Here it is on line #57469.
This particular test shown, I found from david, was at 100 Ohms and 2.7v rms. Looking for double that level, if possible.

Showing pretty good IC amp performance at -110-120dB at moderate loads doesnt get here. I could do discrete that good, myself. You guys are my experts. My hero's. What can you do for him?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
The AD8022 looks like an interesting part, even for audio. It uses the standard (AD797 like) topology, but has a 20KHz open loop bandwidth. It is fast as well. I don't know how much crossover distortion it has, and the maximum power supply voltage can be a limitation, but I would consider it potentially a pretty good part.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The AD8022 looks like an interesting part, even for audio. It uses the standard (AD797 like) topology, but has a 20KHz open loop bandwidth. It is fast as well. I don't know how much crossover distortion it has, and the maximum power supply voltage can be a limitation, but I would consider it potentially a pretty good part.

With its high BW and very low distortion even towards 1MHz, I'd think xover distortion wouldn't be an issue.
But the graph PMA showed shows a high noise crossover frequency.
The '797 crosses over at around 100Hz, the AD8022 at a few kHz.

Jan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
So the files... and they are really easy to use, are complete in themselves and are "zipped".
LT1
LT2

The big question... can you identify or have a preference for one any one file in each set ?

LT2:
File B sounds better to me, then C & D. Last, file A.
Sighted listening through headphones, 6-7 times

I will use DiffMaker to evaluate the differences between these files. I can post the results if you want.
:)

George

In case anyone is interested in technical input, these examples of high open-loop bandwidth in ordinary IC op-amps are all essentially a case of the trade-off of extra buffering or cascoding on the VAS was not worth sacrificing other specifications. Which is to say they all fall into the class of loading the VAS with a resistor to kill the open-loop gain is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.