John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
duh

Jan, I do NOT believe ANY test can be exactly repeated, except for the same panel, gear and room as the first time.

I do NOT believe there are two exactly the same rooms existing on their own, unless specifically made in exactly the same way.

I do NOT believe any two panels are the same, or can ever be.

That's why I taKe any panel test as a general guideline only, NEVER as absolutely conclusive. Sometimes they were a help to me, other times I completely disagreed with their findings.

A perfect example of confusion over such concepts as confidence intervals, precision, error bars, test criteria, etc.... of course no two tests are ABSOLUTELY identical from a pedantic perspective! Air temperature, humidity, listeners weight and height, phase of the moon, political party affiliation,etc. could all be arguably confounding between two locations, but screening tests for legitimate variables exist (or are available thru common sense).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_of_variance

get real

John L.

Last edited:
the thing is that we really don't know the factors that separates good from bad and good from very very good, I have often stumbled upon speaker driver that measures virtually the same yet sound so different that it almost unbelievable. human perception is way beyond the numbers. how else will you explain the many many different speaker concepts that in one way or another gives the listener their satisfaction. if there was only one truth then all would strive to find it. The fact is that we have so great physcoacoustic capabilities that we from fragments are able to recreate the more or less the full picture.

In amplifier design there so much more than Numbers and distortion at stake when building.
PSU and Grounding may be a much bigger influence than the numbers of the actual circuit. Those are to my knowledge the main contributors when we talk power amp.

My personal opinion is that numbers, listening panels and ABX tests are for those who have no sense of direction. Not all are musically gifted and able to hear things like scale, tempo and tone. this is 100% natural like not all people are able to crunch numbers or write novels.
In engineering there's a saying "The greater your knowledge is, the more you perceive that what you truly understand is merely a tiny fraction of the truth.

In audio this is really true as we work in a mixed environment where there are so many unknowns that it makes no sense what so ever to point to static science to nail down the truth. what you can do is use the engineering to point you in a direction of your choosing, you add yourself your know-how and knowledge into the quest for making better reproductive systems.

I agree with you, word for word.

Now, please tell me your opinion on scienticially designed blind group tests. Unfortunately, I fail to see what's scientific about assembling a group of people, each one of them an aindividual, with his own mindset and perception capabilities, to pass universal judgement on audio gear.

And even assuming they can do that, how do know hw it will sound to somebody outside the appointed group? I ask because several times I've been told here that educated professional musicians are of no big importance to audio. Kind of, ah, them, they don't count for much. I mean, after all, they just studied music and play in symphonic orchestras, so what do they know about music and how it should sound? And that's "scientific".

A perfect example of confusion over such concepts as confidence intervals, precision, error bars, test criteria, etc.... of course no two tests are ABSOLUTELY identical from a pedantic perspective! Air temperature, humidity, listeners weight and height, phase of the moon, political party affiliation,etc. could all be arguably confounding between two locations, but screening tests for legitimate variables exist (or are available thru common sense).

get real

John L.

I'm more real than you'll ever be able to recognize. And I do not need a panel to advise me on how something sounds to me, thank you.

I find that all too often people who insist on hard measurable science are in with impaired hearing and need an external light to point the way, don't you?

I'm more real than you'll ever be able to recognize. And I do not need a panel to advise me on how something sounds to me, thank you.

I find that all too often people who insist on hard measurable science are in with impaired hearing and need an external light to point the way, don't you?

Actually, I often find just the opposite... those attempting to refute legitimate efforts to pin down reality by hand waving and scorn have failed to transcend the average mediocrity of the masses.

Go figure, eh? Or not as seems to be the case here..

John L.

Who ever said that you need a "panel"? All you need to answer the question, "Can I hear this?" is an open mind, intellectual curiosity and honesty, and sometimes (depending on how you structure an experiment) a helper. Panels are more useful for other questions- "one size fits all" is not applicable to experimental design. Valid experiments just need to be well-controlled, but there's lots of ways to achieve that.

We will never agree between the two parties.
I just notice that, if the peekers have nothing against "blind A,B" or other similar methods, the others cannot accept some can use a different approach.
As J.C. said -at the end, it is may-be not an accident if he his one of the most famous audio designers here-, "what the hell if it worked for me".

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
To me, the whole concept that seeing what you are listening to biases the test seems like a very general and questionable thesis.
I am not saying that everybody can detach themselves in the same way and be trully irreverent to names and price tags, but I know I can, they mean literally nothing to me.
And I feel reasonably sure that I am not the only one here, let alone at large, who can do that. The initial assumption that people are by default impressed by names and prices is not altogether wrong, just wrong enought not to be a law. In other words, it is not proof.

It's just another mantra.

:cool::)

THx-RNMarsh

Sy What is not limited numbers..??? In the end of the day you still have to sum and put a weight on those, and what you measure is only based on your subjective judgement of what is sufficient or what is not. That assessment is just as subjective as any listening test.

Non science cannot be put into numbers, like a painting cant be judged by any numerical standards. beauty and performance has no sum, But still we are humans, so we mostly like similar things, like rhythm, pace tone color and naturalness affects most of us in a similar matter. (this is maybe one of the most fascinating subjects of them all)

Science and engineering can be used to give you pointers and hints, and can discriminate between what is healthy and what is not, but for performance it nothing but exactly that numbers on a sheet of paper. those numbers tells very very little how it is to drive a super car around a track, unless you are a very experienced race driver and trough experience know how those numbers translate into handling. Numbers tells you very little, but they may leave you with a hint of what has changed from the last version.

miib, there's a lot of literature out there demonstrating what is audible and what likely isn't when it comes to electronics. I've provided dozens of references.

It's worth reading the literature. It's even more worthwhile to experimentally challenge the things you believe, but that aren't currently backed by any real evidence. That's part and parcel of actual intellectual curiosity.

What seems odd to me is the position that blind testing is fraught with "deal killing" problems while sighted test problems are considered virtually, if not literally, inconsequential.
That, and freely admitting to the subjective nature of sighted tests, but using it to make generalized statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.