John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"It is very well known that increasing the reservoir caps will increase both the level and order of the harmonics on the supply line. That gives a lot of scope to have an audible effect, depending on several factors. Nothing 'magical' here..."

I think this related to the charging currents in the reservoir caps. Localized decoupling should reduce the HF content on the rails due to signal current.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am concerned about cable capacitance and input filters of the receiving equipment. I just could not bring myself to design a pre that had K ohms of OP Z.

A 'bad cable may have a few hundred pF of capacitance, an input BW filter 270 Ohms and 1 nF (ok, this is quite stiff, but not uncommon). Feeding this from a high Z?

But, each to his own.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The light load on an opamp OPS, plus operating it in class A, by using a compl class A fet buffer does seem useful.

THx-RNMarsh

Add the light loading buffer OPS on an IC amp any way you wish -- then you will get less of the distortion from loading and more of the best potential from IC amps.

[And, If a low noise design, the fb resistors will be low values -- more reason why a stock IC amp's distortion will be higher. So, it is obvious that the external buffer OPS is useful/needed for lowest thd.]

Re large reservior caps.... generally not needed in low/line level circuits. A good regulator or source follower (C-Multiplier) type will take care of ripple. But with regulators, minimal output C seems to work best.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I am concerned about cable capacitance and input filters of the receiving equipment. I just could not bring myself to design a pre that had K ohms of OP Z.

A 'bad cable may have a few hundred pF of capacitance, an input BW filter 270 Ohms and 1 nF (ok, this is quite stiff, but not uncommon). Feeding this from a high Z?

But, each to his own.

I once bought a good tube preamp (Audio Research) and I saw it had several K Ohms in series with output jack. I jumpered it out for just the reason you state. Months later the HV supply crapped out.... couldnt take the loading current, I suspect. I never bothered to fix it and gave it to Kavi who would have it fixed. No high output Z, pls!

In addition, a high source Z contributes to EMI/RFI pickup on cables/grounds.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
But why, other than the fact that "they" use that for a test? If there's a reason to do it, there's plenty of op-amps out there that will, but the reason to do that is not clear given the likely applications.

Ať least 600 ohm is a pro standard! And you may like to transfer some power through cable rather than tiny nothing.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

But, each to his own.

This is not about the opamp output Z, but the receiver input Z. By default opamp output Z is almost always very low, and often determined by the build-out series R to ensure stability with cap loads. The Zout is almost always < 100 ohms.
A 5m interlink with 500pF/m represents an impedance of some 3.3 k ohms at 20kHz. Piece of cake.

I agree with John that often the feedback network represent a significant part or even most of the opamp load impedance.

But observe: in line amp applications, there's really no reason to go so low with the feedback R, noise is not an issue here.

It is, of course, in say phono pre's. But the noise-critical first stage handles at most a few 10's of mV signals, and even with a 100 ohm feedback R that doesn't really tax the output stage that much - 100mV across 100 ohms is just 1 mA....

So, another dozen of pages of posts on non-issues ;)
We're making progress??? :cool:

Jan

But observe: in line amp applications, there's really no reason to go so low with the feedback R, noise is not an issue here.

It is, Jan. You will add 20 - 30dB gain of the power amplifier behind the (noisy high R feedback) opamp pre output and you will seriously degrade power amps S/N, in case you have a very good power amplifier. Believe me, it makes a difference, and it makes a sound difference.

Dvv, the first 2 examples excessively load the op amp due to the bias resistors being such a low value.
The 3rd example is rather complicated and takes even more space.

John, I tried to make it clear that the values were not real, there just to illustrate the point.

Actual values are different, the trouble is I caouldn't find the actual files which isslustrated my actual attempts.

BTW, I thought about you yesterday. In one of your posts God knows how long ago, you mentioned in passing that some of the old op amps, specifically LF 356, was capable of solid results. Obviously, I agree, I used it as my general test bed, but I also did AD 829, AC 818 and even the old OPA 37. All did well, but the winner is - OPA 37. That op amp has its issues, but overall it can provide some surprisingly good results.

Does anyone use 600 ohm loading in home audio? Looking at the first half dozen solid state amps in the Stereophile listing, they seem to range from 9500 ohms to 100k.

The lowest number I know of in production is Monrio, an Italian brand, with 8200 Ohms.

The lowest I have ever seen or heard was the Otala/Lohstroh amp, which used 6800 Ohms, if memroy serves. John will know the exact value.

Status
Not open for further replies.