John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldering 1206 SMD is very easy. SOIC packages also. Problem with SMD passive components is high price. Thin film SMD resistors are in fact the same as standard metal film but ten times more expensive.IPC videos about soldering are the best starting point. Many tutorials are totally wrong.

1210s and 0804s are fairly easy, - 0402s are possible, but admittedly maybe not for the faint of heart or shaky hands..... :)
I usually get by with a 2.5 Optivizor, but I also use a 6x scope for the smallest ones.
Practice is necesseaary, and there are also some training kits in the market that are fairly cheap - or start with a small cheap project...
I also use this for soldering....

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I plan to live forever.
So far, so good.

But even so..... SMD suck big time. I will hold off on using them unless they are the only part (transistor) I can use.

When every part is only SM, I'll switch to may own stash of parts and when that runs out.... THEN, I might drop DIY entirely. Hard core TH all the way to the end or forever, which ever comes first.

Thx-RNMarsh

-RM

How do you keep the solder paste ' fresh' ? I tried it for a while but it dries out, even if you keep it in the fridge. So I went back to very fine solder and a very fine point, never looked back.

Jan

Squeeze harder. :D Seriously, I don't have this problem with what we use. It comes with a very fine SS tube as output, in fact I take the outdated tubes from the lab and they still work almost a year later. It is like a medical syringe so it is never opened to the air, is that the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.