John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Back in the late 80's, I recall the epoxies I worked with all ran about 117C or so as the start of glass transition. Once that temp is reached, it softens and the coil disassembles. Nowadays, polyimide goes way up there in temp with no strength reduction.

Henry Kloss in one of his late interviews (Audio magazine) was asked about the innovation and progress with speakers during the last decades.
He replied: “It’s the adhesives that have become much better

For those interested, this is the overview:

Thank you. See this paper:
http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20140828/7059.pdf
(especially equation 22 and Fig.5)

"Current-Driving of Loudspeakers" is IMO a very good book, regardless of the adoption or rejection of current drive approach.

George

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Amplitude spectrum is not enough, we need information on phase as well.

An old post …
My favorite example. These signals differ only in phase of one of the spectral components. For absolutely identical amplitude spectra, we get totally different time domain signals. One of them will push the amp to clipping, the 2nd will not ..... :cool:

One has to be careful when working with amplitude spectra only. It is only a half of the necessary information.

George

Methinks it is not so much the magnetic field that changes the inductor value, but the ferromagnetic and or ferrimagnetic material in close proximity to air core coils that does so. This increases the inductance.

Metal with a mu close to 1 will actually cause a reduction of an air core coil. It does so by flux exclusion ala Lenz effect. I put measurements of this in my gallery.
The reason is that an air core coil cannot saturate, so the magnetic field of a loudspeaker does not influence its capacity to store electric energy in the form of an added or substracted magnetic field.

If the external magnetic field of the speaker is time varying, an air core can experience proximity effect resistive increase, which can be rather non linear. Also, if it couples enough, I've no idea what the resultant response would be.

I do know that my eminence delta 12's modulated a CRT television picture located about a foot from the speaker cab when driven at about 300 wrms, so unshielded pro drivers certainly play loosely when it comes to flux containment.
jn

Thanks for the information and confirmation of an unshielded magnetic speaker magnets flux field. I wonder if people have sort of forgotten about what a large magnet from a speaker can do since most people have flat screen TV's and computer monitors these days, I haven't placed a large magnet near a flat screen TV or monitors to see if there is still some kind of effect. I did get my *** chewed out once for placing a raw frame 15" speaker next to a computer but nothing happened.

Many roads to Rome ...

The audible difference was very pronounced compared to the voltage drive versions of the same amp/speaker. Much tighter drum attacks, of course demanding more of the amp at the same time. The tonal balance of the system was different, which some might say should not be the case if I modeled the speaker correctly, but the differences we heard were hard to quantify.

A summary of the sound would be: more present, the speakers seemed to project more and it was exciting to hear. I feel stupid using subjective terms, because I had tweaked the system to give flat response, so I am fairly certain there was minimal freq domain errors.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard,

I have the book, and the author is smart and I agree with a lot of what he supposes, and have not critiqued his math. I was in conversation with him via email up to the point where the lab I was employed at closed in 2013.

I designed a current-mode amp/speaker combination in the early 1990s, and spent a lot of time modeling the freq/phase relationship of the speaker and implementing it in the current drive circuit. The audible difference was very pronounced compared to the voltage drive versions of the same amp/speaker. Much tighter drum attacks, of course demanding more of the amp at the same time. The tonal balance of the system was different, which some might say should not be the case if I modeled the speaker correctly, but the differences we heard were hard to quantify.

A summary of the sound would be: more present, the speakers seemed to project more and it was exciting to hear. I feel stupid using subjective terms, because I had tweaked the system to give flat response, so I am fairly certain there was minimal freq domain errors. The biggest difference I can relate to you: using a B&K 3004 mic I was able to recover a very nice looking 1KHz square wave from the system in current drive, which it was unable to do in voltage drive, thanks to phase shifts between the harmonics.

I was a big proponent of the approach, and shopped the design around. I ended up demoing with non-disclosures for several mobile sound companies, one of which then copied the circuit and went on to make a metric s#!t-ton of $$ with it. My lawyer's cease and desist went unanswered and I was too non-munificent to pursue. A lesson in IP protection....

I still think it is the best sounding approach to dynamic loudspeaker drive, but to be optimally implemented requires a different speaker driver design (low Z, low Q), and of course a different amp design. Its a BIG project I no longer have the resources for.

Such is life...

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

Well that sure does suck big time. :( Wanna start it up again? Using my TC Sounds (18 incher)? Dual 2 Ohm coils.

THx-RNMarsh

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Richard,

A summary of the sound would be: more present, the speakers seemed to project more and it was exciting to hear. I feel stupid using subjective terms, because I had tweaked the system to give flat response, so I am fairly certain there was minimal freq domain errors. The biggest difference I can relate to you: using a B&K 3004 mic I was able to recover a very nice looking 1KHz square wave from the system in current drive, which it was unable to do in voltage drive, thanks to phase shifts between the harmonics.

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

Here is a question, relevant to both speakers and microphones. Many years ago I read that mixing an dynamic mike with a condenser mike on the same instrument was problematic because of the phase relationship of the pressure wave to the electrical output. A dynamic mike has its peak out out at the fastest changing part of the waveform- the zero crossing. The condenser at the peak of the pressure wave, 90 degrees different. I have never verified this, no need to, but it sounds reasonable.

Could the same be true for voltage and current drive of a speaker? And in the current amplifier, is the peak current at the peak of the input voltage wave? The few experiments I have tried in the past had a good phase/amplitude correlation of the current driving a speaker (dynamic and electrostatic) and the voltage wave from a condenser mike in front of the speaker.

This could lead to more angst than getting absolute phase of the playback right. You need an electrostatic speaker for recordings made with condenser mikes and dynamic speakers for dynamic mikes. Or is it the other way? What about carbon mikes?

I don't think that can be true unless one is measuring the rate of change of pressure and the other is measuring the absolute pressure. The first case would have a 6db/oct frequency slope, but the microphones in question are designed for flat FR.

A barometer works like a mic too, not well but some have ~3K response. Remember the particle amplitude of the air also goes 6dB/octave.

Here is a question, relevant to both speakers and microphones. Many years ago I read that mixing an dynamic mike with a condenser mike on the same instrument was problematic because of the phase relationship of the pressure wave to the electrical output. A dynamic mike has its peak out out at the fastest changing part of the waveform- the zero crossing. The condenser at the peak of the pressure wave, 90 degrees different. I have never verified this, no need to, but it sounds reasonable.

I read the same thing many years ago in the 'Handbook for Sound Engineers'. The explanation as far as I remember is that because of the different phase relationships, the stereo image goes out of whack.

Could the same be true for voltage and current drive of a speaker? And in the current amplifier, is the peak current at the peak of the input voltage wave? The few experiments I have tried in the past had a good phase/amplitude correlation of the current driving a speaker (dynamic and electrostatic) and the voltage wave from a condenser mike in front of the speaker.

Peak current will not always be at peak voltage wave. It is a minimum phase system so impedance variations of the driver get translated into phase shifts of the current. I am toying with this ideaof current drive in my head for a long time, so this is why I thought stability would be a complication.

Now, Hitsware was kind enough link to Nelson Pass's site (thanks!). I wasn't aware of his work in this field, but his solution is elegant. He puts a compensation network (coils, caps and resistors) in front of the driver, which exhibits the inverse peak. This would also correct the phase relationship between voltage and current I suppose, so that is a neat and simple way of dealing with it.

This could lead to more angst than getting absolute phase of the playback right. You need an electrostatic speaker for recordings made with condenser mikes and dynamic speakers for dynamic mikes. Or is it the other way? What about carbon mikes?

No, with an electrostatic loudspeaker you have to sit 1/4 wavelength further away, so that the phase relationship gets restored :D

p.s. Howie, thanks for the positive recommendation of the book - just ordered my copy - and hope you will be able to relaunch your research.

Last edited:
Any compensation network across the driver reduces drive impedance so works against current drive. The idea is to short out the back EMF as little as possible - so there is a minimum source impedance that is useful for current drive. Crossovers work against this as well.

FR can be taken care of using a compensation network at the amp input or even the feedback loop if it's a dedicated amp. A modular input compensator could be made with enough knobs to compensate any speaker, without reducing drive impedance at all.

As for amplifier stability, it is not a problem with current drive, just a change in the compensation scheme.

Demian Martin:

>Many years ago I read that mixing an dynamic mike with a condenser mike >on the same instrument was problematic because of the phase relationship >of the pressure wave to the electrical output. A dynamic mike has its peak >out out at the fastest changing part of the waveform- the zero crossing. >The condenser at the peak of the pressure wave, 90 degrees different. I >have never verified this, no need to, but it sounds reasonable.

This is my belief too.

It is what physics predicts.

>Could the same be true for voltage and current drive of a speaker?

JAES Volume 12 Number 4 October 1964 Page 348:

F.K Harvey, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc., Murray Hill, New Jersey

SNIP

"It should be pointed out that the measuring microphone (The condenser pressure omni measurement mic, my comment) is generally free of phase distortion, the ordinary direct radiator loudspeaker is not. The latter is generally operated above resonance (mass controlled), and thus provides a minimal 90° phase shift (0.25 wavelength) at most frequencies throughout the useful range.

In such a loudspeaker, the mechanical driving force in phase with the electrical current. However, the diaphragm velocity is 90° out of phase with this force and its magnitude drops 6 dB/octave .

It is purposely designed in this way so that the product of the velocity squared and the air radiation resistance (rising 12 dB/octave) tends to provide a constant acoustical power output up to the point where the dimensions of the diaphragm become comparable to the wavelength.

It is generally overlooked that one of our most popular loudspeaker designs possess an inherent 90° phase distortion.

Consequently, preservation of the complex waveform is impossible, even in free space, except with the aid of preliminary amplitude independent phase correction. (using an all pass phase shifter giving a constant 90° phase shift but having a flat frequency response, my comment).

Snip

>This could lead to more angst than getting absolute phase of the playback >right. You need an electrostatic speaker for recordings made with >condenser mikes and dynamic speakers for dynamic mikes.

Yes.

But dynamic mics have problems of their own so sounds different because of the dynamic mic defects not inherent in condenser mics.

--
Best regards,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@telia.com

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.*** -** John Luther

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Smurfen:RIP

Remember the particle amplitude of the air also goes 6dB/octave.

Hi Scott,

A few years ago I asked the question on this forum "anyone know the frequency response of air" none of the answers at that time indicated to me that there was a clear understanding of this.

Does your comment above mean that this is well understood by yourself ?

If so, could you explain some more ?

Since quite a long time i have an idea that could reduce distortion in loudspeakers.
Second harmonic comes from asymmetries.
I learned from Klippel that this can also be seen as a DC shift.
My idea is to make a power amp that has adjustable DC Offset.
That offset could be used to partial cancel second harmonic.
Maybe not under all conditions but it is worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.