John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
George,
That LF stuff looks like arm resonance and after processing on the RHS panel, it's still there. Am I reading the graphs right?

The peaks around 10Hz, yes.
What is this RHS panel?

Is that what it looks like to me, a Siemens power line filter?

If so, are you happy with it? Does it do it for you?

It is a line filter. NEC TOKIN LF-205A
Can a line filter make someone happy?:D
When I had installed it I did some listening tests (filter in/out). I couldn’t say that it degraded the sound, so I left it connected.
The diagram looks good
http://www.nec-tokin.com/english/guide/noize/no-lfsn-e.pdf

I had placed a lot of attention into the PSU of that preamplifier.

Can any one of you who has a Naim with the NA322 MM RIAA module measure the overload figures? I was surprised to read that the specified overload margin is 42db from 2Hz to 40kHz. They quote a sensitivity of 2mV.

George

It's really simple. Any excess cable tends to form large loops hanging everywhere messily. What you can do is fold the cable in half and twist it. This minimizes it's inductance and coupling to external fields. This way you can get as close as you can to direct wires from place to place. If many cables come from the same appliance, they can all be twisted together and run in one big bundle. For instance all your test equipment power can be run in a twisted bundle to the power strip, with extra lengths of wire twisted as above if necessary. This reduces the potential ground loop errors and emissions. If you're using a wall wart with an excessively long cord on the test bench, you can twist the wire so the excess hangs harmlessly without catching or wrapping around anything and the rest of the wire goes directly to the point of use.
Exactly.
All the audio system AC power cables going from point A to point B should be bundled together. For too long cables, a good compromise is to fold the excess cable into layers much like taffy candy.

Back to the 'heart rate' formula. It only works if you take 100 people of similar ages and average it all out. An individual can have way different numbers. But I guess if you know your heart rate this year, you can predict what it might be in 5 years.

Tell that to the person in our cycle group who died from a heart attack last week while cycling..., crossed 4 lanes during and got hit by an SUV to close the deal ..:(

:film:

When I had installed it I did some listening tests (filter in/out). I couldn’t say that it degraded the sound, so I left it connected.
The diagram looks good

I had placed a lot of attention into the PSU of that preamplifier.
The right approach, IMO. If one wishes to investigate whether particular techniques or tweaks in combination are "effective" or not then the number of permutations to investigate rapidly spiral out of control - my approach is to throw enough "tricks" at the system until the quality is at least "sufficient", and either leave it at that, or try for something better again. Trying to assess whether a particular, standard tweak can then be removed with minimal effect is just asking for headaches ... :eek: !

As an example, I did the twisted and folded thing, mentioned above, on the power cord to the Yamaha keyboard right at the beginning - how much impact did that have? I haven't the energy or interest to precisely "measure" that - if the beast now performs adequately I'll leave well enough alone ...

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
T
The diagram looks good

George

Overall the filter looks good with both normal mode and common mode chokes. The caps to ground are the concern. They drive noise into ground along with 1/2 of the line voltage. If you can keep that ground, usually the case, well isolated from your audio ground you will have fewer issues to deal with. I see these problems between instruments on my test bench. They are low level but really limit the noise floor.

The right approach, IMO. If one wishes to investigate whether particular techniques or tweaks in combination are "effective" or not then the number of permutations to investigate rapidly spiral out of control - my approach is to throw enough "tricks" at the system until the quality is at least "sufficient", and either leave it at that, or try for something better again. Trying to assess whether a particular, standard tweak can then be removed with minimal effect is just asking for headaches ... :eek: !

As an example, I did the twisted and folded thing, mentioned above, on the power cord to the Yamaha keyboard right at the beginning - how much impact did that have? I haven't the energy or interest to precisely "measure" that - if the beast now performs adequately I'll leave well enough alone ...

How about audiotioning with and without, just to try to make out any differences?

Sometimes, the differences can be literally startling, all the more so when you consider that you are externally filtering a $20k+ device, and the difference is obvious and positive with the filter.

In very, very few instances, the external filter can degrade the sound, again with revered audio gear well into kilo whatever, $ or €.

If you have never tried, how will you ever know?

Overall the filter looks good with both normal mode and common mode chokes. The caps to ground are the concern. They drive noise into ground along with 1/2 of the line voltage. If you can keep that ground, usually the case, well isolated from your audio ground you will have fewer issues to deal with. I see these problems between instruments on my test bench. They are low level but really limit the noise floor.

Also, the caps to the ground could shift the ground potential on occasion, when a large spike hits the filter, and I've seen with my own eyes spikes of just over 900 V in a nominally 220 V line. True, they last a few microseconds at a time, but even so, things will happen, and I hate the very idea.

Another oddity is that regarding line noise, there is prescious little difference between the developed and undeveloped countries. The undeveloped countries have poor national grid systems, typically with insufficent and outdated local transformers, but less devices on line, while the developed countries have better to much better national grids, but more devices on line. In the end, it tends to even out.

I base this on some measurements made in 2001-2003 in Serbia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Algeria and Egypt. These were available for me. I know it's not a valid statistical number of samples, but it's enough to draw some very general conclusions.

What's it like for you you can perhaps see for yourself. Connect an oscilloscope to your power outlet, set bandwidth to 1 MHz and amplitude to 1 kV. Then take a sedative and watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.