John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said "last figure." That's figure 10. I already addressed figure 6 and 7, you might want to reread. Figure 7 is at onset of clipping.

The 2 ohm limiting is at 1500 watts, that's pretty "severe," eh?

When you figure out what you're trying to say, let me know.

Cloud much ...

So you acknowledge the trend in the graph and give no weight to it, you should listen ...

Its 750 @8 that would make for "severe" limiting at 2, (3db is nothing ) do you ever use amplifiers or this is all text for you. You should buy the crown , a bargain at today's prices. Have your ABX CLUB EVALUATE ....

Last edited:
Jc makes a good observation. It is interesting to take a look at the graphs and see what (if any) correlations there are in the reviews.

Usually none. You can find lots of examples of absolutely terrible measured performance, the chimp reviewer praising it, then Atkinson dancing around in the Measurement section to try to keep the chimp from looking too foolish.

As you can hear 30 db into the noise floor (Depending on how you define noise) saying it can't be measured with the equipment they were using then isn't really informative.

Then there is the issue of what the noise floor is! Op-amps of the day were not exactly quiet.

You are right, but only if noise is all the sound there is, that is in a no signal situation.In that case, there will not be any distortion produced.

In case of a signal, we are talking about 1 W output by means of example here, there will be a lot of sound produced, way above the noise floor. It is a nonsense to speak in that case of being able to hear 30dB below the noise floor. With the kind of amplifiers we are discussing here, you won't even be able to hear the noise itself at much lower output levels, let alone that you can hear anything 30 dB below it. Remember the marching band?

Last edited:
Back in the day I used to run the Macros with 120 VAC, a non pre Theta DAC thru PSB stratus Gold and Thiel 3.6's. The gain was used for volume control. At about 1/3 the way up, you got live music level volume. Typical problems where blown up light bulbs, refrigerators and cracks where the wall meets the ceiling. I switched to 220 VAC dedicated lines on recommendation from Crown. I have a newer DAC with a pre so I now keep the gain full. There is an input sensitivity switch internally in the amp. Having the right level along with the 220 VAC makes a big difference. Typical reactions from non audiophile and pro musician friends are comments like "crisp" and not being able to get them out of my house because they want to sit there and listen to their favorite albums - every track.

Last edited:
I would like to comment on the opinions stated here:
From my experience, the reviewers of both Stereophile and TAS are well educated, often technically, who just want to put out a good magazine that the subscribers will find interesting and useful. There is no 'conspiracy' to criticize Crown or any other industrially based company from comparison to other audio products. It has little, or nothing to do with advertising either. Parasound has not significantly advertised in either TAS or Stereophile for at least a decade, yet we get 'A' reviews most of the time. I don't fraternize with these reviewers, either. I barely know them, even by sight. We usually exchange polite comments when we meet at CES or a hi fi show, but that is just about it.
IF they are 'chimps' then I am also a 'chimp'. What a scientific way to characterize someone. '-)

Status
Not open for further replies.