John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Before someone else finds it Walt and I did an AD624 phono front end (Walt likes doing audio apps), it sounded OK for 1982. Grado 15$ cart and Pioneer TT, no pretensions to hi-end. It was split EQ with 744 as output IIRC. We didn't show it but you can drop an external pnp onto a 744 via the output and comp pins makes it quite nice and it has a lot more slew rate in the first place. At 4nV the AD624 was decent for MM, MI not SOTA.

Scott
I’d love to see a schematic of that implementation.
I’ve tested the much lesser AD620 and I’ve found it very interesting for low level applications (posts #77 to #92) http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/189545-implementing-y-out-oscilloscope-8.html#post2622342

I don’t understand how a 5V/us SR can be inadequate in a front stage of a MM preamp

I can't believe you couldn't get the glaring hint I gave you. :D Reread Ed's original "puzzle," reread my hints, and then if you still don't do the hand-to-forehead slap, I'll tell you.

I have tried but the bulb doesn’t turn on, that’s why I ask you now.
Ed’s puzzling battery started at post # 53561. Your hint is at post # 53597, 53605, 53610.
My only uneducated objection is at post #53651, last sentence.

Which side is the one that makes me think about naked girls all the time?

:note:
You know, I talked to God.
He said “ I understand”.
He said “Sit by me, I’ll be your guiding hand. Don’t ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to”

:note:

George

Joined 2002
Paid Member
You win!
Now who collects old bad records?

Define ‘bad’ :smash:

I emphasized the word "fundamental." :D You've got a full power signal running in the midrange. And one worries about noise masking of a small 2nd harmonic?
I read the following quote as your criticism over Ed’s modus operanti, not as a technical comment :confused:

No, the logical conclusion is that if the fundamental point is glossed over with a lot of extraneous activity, people will forget about it and concentrate on irrelevancies.

George

Edit> SY I read the 1st version of your last post. The last sentence was edited later, yes?

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Fleetwood Mac? In Ptere Green's time?

Yes . It reflects a true story of mine.

You know I talked to God when I was young about the problem I had to deal with all day long, every day, years long (same as SY’s)

The years went away but the problem persisted, as if He had not paid attention to my quest.

Then, a time came that I realized for good He had heard me.
The outcome of His intervening wasn’t exactly what I had in my mind as the best scenario.
It was then that I realized the true meaning of that song.

Verdict: Don’t talk to God over such things, keep them to yourself
:D

George

Last edited:
Mike, you are right on target. I don't hear much groove noise with good vinyl. I am somewhat surprised, but it probably does have something to do with my age to some degree. I am now working on a 'passive' device that when inserted between the phono cartridge (MC) and the phono preamp (Vendetta) will remove groove noise to an amazing degree, even when the sound is deliberately turned up to hear the groove noise clearly. I have already heard an A-B test, but on another system. I hope to try it on my system in a week or so.

Mike, you are right on target. I don't hear much groove noise with good vinyl. I am somewhat surprised, but it probably does have something to do with my age to some degree. I am now working on a 'passive' device that when inserted between the phono cartridge (MC) and the phono preamp (Vendetta) will remove groove noise to an amazing degree, even when the sound is deliberately turned up to hear the groove noise clearly. I have already heard an A-B test, but on another system. I hope to try it on my system in a week or so.

Interesting to hear John , Pat Riley just said he loves LP's too, helped him thru his loss ..:)

Last edited:
Many to choose from in the 944 family, there's, 944, 944s,944S2, 944T, then there's the 924S, which has the 944 running gear in a 924 chassis.

John has a 944 , he never specified beyond that , does your company plan on running the spec 944 series..?

My business partner's the car guy, and will be the driver. I don't know anything beyond 944. I'm focusing on the graphics for the car and trailer. :D

se

I am now working on a 'passive' device that when inserted between the phono cartridge (MC) and the phono preamp (Vendetta) will remove groove noise to an amazing degree, even when the sound is deliberately turned up to hear the groove noise clearly. I have already heard an A-B test, but on another system. I hope to try it on my system in a week or so.

Can't wait, how about some data from your new gear? It is true however, I have many LP's where the tape hiss is clearly louder than the LP surface noise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.