John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have something in common, Richard. '-)

Attachments

• Picture 124.jpg
    Picture 124.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 227
My experience is that the 'transmission of emotion' has almost no relation to the quality of the reproduction equipment. The parameters seem to be whether you have some emotional rapport with the music, and the musical interpretation of the performers.
I can easily get moved by music that touches me, heard on the kitchen radio. Or on the Bose Waveradio, for that matter.

jan
Some are more easily entertained than others. What is the purpose of listening to music ? There in lies the reward for some of listening to music. :cool:

The issue brought up ... what does music really sound like or how do you know when it is different all over a hall, is a bogus question. Clearly, we can learn what musical instruments really sound like.... a lot of music is played in a small group and setting... recitals... chamber music... where you can be up close and personal with the music.
If some people here can't tell the difference between live, acoustic sound and the normal playback quality of such then the kitchen radio will probably be adequate for them!

Drumkits are harder, I was impressed by the ability of a recently heard setup to do full justice to that type of instrument - any type of heard sound can always be reproduced to a level that is fully convincing, if enough intelligent effort is thrown at the exercise.

Another key element of "proper" reproduction is that a very complex, heavily layered piece can be played back at highly elevated SPLs, and tiny, low level details will be clearly discernable, fully comprehensible - will add to the overall sense of what's going on musically. This is part of a correctly working system being able to be taken to maximum working volume with no negative or unpleasant characteristics appearing in the sound, its integrity will be fully retained at all times.

Last edited:
If some people here can't tell the difference between live, acoustic sound and the normal playback quality of such then the kitchen radio will probably be adequate for them!

even little kids go out into the streets when they hear a marching band,
i go out to have a look at the majorettes waving batons with their very short shorts...:D
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you don't have to be a fas42 to know live from reproduced music...;)

It does have significance, but not to the "right brain left brain" pop-science nonsense. It's related to the operation of the visual system.

Here's a good reference:

Investigation of bistable perception with the "silhouette spinner": sit still, spin the dancer with your will.
Liu CH1, Tzeng OJ, Hung DL, Tseng P, Juan CH., Vision Res. 2012 May 1;60:34-9. doi: 10.1016/j.visres.2012.03.005

Status
Not open for further replies.