John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had an interesting experience to relate on this forum --- I had a power amp that had low THD. I changed the Re of the output transistors from .22 down to 0.1 Ohm, and re-biased(increased) the OPStage to achieve lowest THD numbers at 10-40W output (8 Ohm load). I achieved a null in THD with bias in the range of 60-80mA/ Then I listened.... the sound became a LOT more detailed and reveling of details like I never heard before with this familiar amp. And what is the new lower THD level at typical average power output? -100dB (1KHz) !!

Just the kind of stories that make the folklore. No evidence here that the THD (measured with resistive load?) had anything to do with the result, I presume with speaker. As with many of these experiments muliple changes to the system and no solid conclusions can be made.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Just the kind of stories that make the folklore. No evidence here that the THD (measured with resistive load?) had anything to do with the result, I presume with speaker. As with many of these experiments muliple changes to the system and no solid conclusions can be made.

Oh Please, Scott. Even if you think something other than THD was also affected and I didnt tell you or know... it doesnt matter. Those two changes to the circuit make an audible change that is pronounced. I know the before and after THD 'numbers' under same conditions of measurement. And, I know the listening results. I am not saying anything but what I heard. Not trying to explain the various parameters which were affected by the two changes and they may be the actual culprits in what I hear now. Not important to me at this time. I am Q'ing off of THD because it is convenient to do so. Its a ref marker to use for changes which are beneficial. Could use any other marker for a ref # to the affected change. So, yes, it might create folklore. That isnt my concern.

Anyone -- care to speculate beyond the usual as to why I can hear such a change so to go after IT for establishing as a better threshold # marker?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The "usual" is usual because it's so often correct. Eliminate that first, before moving on to the exotic. Pareto is your friend.

Of course. if you know a 'usual' that I never heard of, please speculate and I'll research it and do tests etal. But, otherwise an alternate theory of why the changes were audible is sought. I know -100dB is a scary place but the THD did go down there and thats the marker I am using at this time.

THx-RNMarsh

First, you have to determine that the audibility is real. That means ears-only, no peeking, real controls. Many of the dramatically audible changes I've made in my electronics turned out to be from my human lying brain, and vanished when I had to rely on my ears. Others didn't, especially those involving noise, phase, frequency response, polar pattern, timing, resonances, stability, you know, the "usual." Only then was time spent chasing them worthwhile.

If you use preconceptions and peeking, your brain is happy to lie to you. That's how magicians make a living.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
That sneeky, pesky, brat of a stinking, lying brain I have.

Otherwise, a noise test, as described a few pages back, or multiTones would give a much higher THD # to be used as a marker against any potentially audible changes. Perhaps, those much higher THD numbers are more reasonable and believable anyway as to real world perceptibility numbers? I will test that later this summer (in USA) and see where that takes me.

THx-RNMarsh

That sneeky, pesky, brat of a stinking, lying brain I have.

You and me both..;)

I'm curious about the ramifications of pushing zero crossing up the rails. With a two tone involving a large lf and a small hf, the hf operation goes full A for a bit, never involving zero crossing. I wonder if there's any phase funnies as the current gets pulled from opposing rails. It'd be interesting to see a differential null between out and in.

Ignore him, Richard. We would never get anywhere with his demands.
Demands for scientific rigor and accuracy??

You ignore it and look where it got you? 40 years later, still touting stuff that's now, what..40 years old?:eek: telling us we're 40 years behind you because we called you on a tantalum distortion that we've known about for, what, 40 years?

jn

You have not graduated from Southwest-Technical, yet.

Graduated, you mean...like a sheeps skin???

Why would I want wunna doze?:D

Everything you present is from 40 years ago. I believe actual technology has advanced a tad there John.

Tell me again how bad 741's are. I think I may actually have one or two floating around..if the leads are still solderable, that is..

As for my SWTPC tiger, last time I used it was for firing a 4 ohm bifilar stainless quench heater embedded in a superconducting magnet for quench studies at 4.5 kelvin, pushing 10 amps into 4 ohms in under 10 microseconds, with flat top out to about 50 milliseconds max.

Course, I carefully powered it up using a variac, as I was afraid the supply caps might need re-forming after sitting in the basement for a few decades.

Now I'm playing with a pair of those digital 20 watt amps from lepai. Small suckers they are...so cheap as well..

jn

Ignore him, Richard. We would never get anywhere following his demands.

Always fun to see you stick foot in mouth. Ahhhhh those pesky scientific controls that actually show if any progress is being made or just wishful thinking.;)

We shall see!

You once used that exact statement with me and so far I have seen nothing from you regarding it. Ho hum.

John shame on you , Scientific protocol has to be followed, the great one demands it..:rolleyes:

1. Did you measure a difference ... yes/No
2. If No, was the difference detected via Lying brain/ear tool .. yes/No
3. If Yes to 2 , was such determined by.?

* A..... ABX with perfect strangers/relatives/JV/JN.....
* B..... Was subjects nuts strapped to listening chair...
* C..... Was digital used, with player facing NE..?
* D..... If yes to all of the above, revert to first law ..:down:

You guys should be working on world peace ......:drink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.