John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott

One of us is confused. Your cite uses 3e10 as the velocity. I used 80% of that. We are not talking about particle velocity.

JN posts examples that support where I keep trying to go in this crowded room.

There is no extra charge in a conductor conducting current, did you even read it? There is one free electron per copper atom, applied potential causes a current density J at each end and a drift velocity of electrons determined by that and the total free charge. What about the electron speeds are small don't you understand. There is no charge storage in a conductor the number of charges is independent of current.

"For ordinary currents, this drift velocity is on the order of millimeters per second in contrast to the speeds of the electrons themselves which are on the order of a million meters per second. Even the electron speeds are themselves small compared to the speed of transmission of an electrical signal down a wire, which is on the order of the speed of light, 300 million meters per second."

Last edited:
Ok. Let's try this example. If I have a pipe 3" inside diameter filled with 1/4" ball bearings and I push in 50 more then 50 come out the other end. They are not the same ball bearings and they come out almost as soon as I push in the new ones. When I push them in they exert a force on the bearings in the tube, the tube walls and each other. If I look at the force propagating in the tube I will see a nice wave.

Now do I get the same behavior if I push in a single bearing? Most likely

Now if I put a rock in the middle of the tube will this affect the 50 bearings at a time. Probably not. The compressive force in the tube will be greater in the bearings near the rock. But 50 in 50 out. As long as the force interaction stays in the linear range the time will stay the same.

Now if I do one bearing will it be the same. Probably as the force will still be uniform in most of the tube length and increase uniformly around the rock.

Now if I push one charge into my conductor does the force spread uniformly?

Ok. Let's try this example.

Free electrons in a conductor can not be treated as particles only so these examples fall apart. Anyway conservation of charge, what goes in comes out.

As I said the number of copper atoms in your wire determines the number of conduction electrons and this number is independent of current, so get back to the original question.

I have been reviewing this with a few folks and the issue seems to be related to very very low level signals.

Now as to "refereed controlled reports" these are measurements, not listening tests. A fair number of folks have stopped by and seen the results. There are a few other reports some using similar techniques.

Simon, may I ask how did you distinguish IMD in cable from IMD originated in U3? Thanks

Well I think it has been mentioned before that at a certain point in time people realised that ground currents could induce hum etc in de cable. That lead to cables that had two conductors for signal hot and cold, plus a screen that was only connected at one side. The screen was to prevent RFI etc, but to avoid ground currents it was only connected at one side.

As it was believed that best results were reached with the screen connection at the source (low impedance) side, they put an arrow on the cable to indicate which side had to be on the source and which side on the receiving end.

Interestingly, if the screening would be less effective with the cable 'wrong way around', this could cause audible differences due to increased RFI.

Unfortunately, the marketing was picked up by the ignoranti and con men leading to 'directional' cables without the original sensible construction.

Jan

So thats it ..... :)

The number of conduction electrons is not necessarily the VALENCE of the atom. This is where you get into quantum mechanics.

Yes.

Holes are also indistinguishable.

Why does Calcium have a relatively low conductivity? It has a valence of 2. It is a metal, etc.

Valence is irrelevant.

Calcium is actually a pretty good conductor, about 50% of silver, twice that of nickel, and about triple that of iron.

valence does not matter? What do you know?

:drink:

As best I could figure out.... the issue of cable directivity was reported as heard when cable was switched end for end. And, the sound was consistant depending on 'direction'. Some cables - but not all - came with errow on them to mark which end was source and load.

It was because the cable (many of them) had a ground (shield or wire) connected at one end only.

THx-RNMarsh

Shielded twist pair with shield connected at one end only and the whole thing absurdly used for non-balanced signal transmission. Audiophile and marketing hoax of the worst kind. Yes, it is "directive" in terms of RFI capture. Bad or worse, depending at which end the shielding is connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.