John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beveridge

Has anyone here ever heard the Beveridge ESL ... ?

My initial comments on the Beveridges:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-4868.html#post3834954

They suffer from many of the same weaknesses as all commercial ESLs:
Relatively low max SPL
Insufficient low freq output for many people
Relatively fragile diaphragm

All of this being said, they are the speaker in my experience which conveys the highest degree of reality in voicing and imaging I have heard.

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

My initial comments on the Beveridges:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-4868.html#post3834954

They suffer from many of the same weaknesses as all commercial ESLs:
Relatively low max SPL
Insufficient low freq output for many people
Relatively fragile diaphragm

All of this being said, they are the speaker in my experience which conveys the highest degree of reality in voicing and imaging I have heard.

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

I'm not in agreement on limited SPL, i have heard more than a few large ESL that had more than enuff go unless one was partially deaf :) The Beveridge was self amplified , this may have contributed to most of its SPL issues..

Sort of like a Tesla? :D Big boys toys, live at the edge, and all that.

Not so fast there Scotty , much better vehicle than that there 5 series, the new Tesla S is a fantastic auto.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Dayton Wright used SF 6 gas in his XG 8/10 electrostatic, this allowed a higher bias voltage ( up to 16kv in the last series), and decreased the LF cancellation frequency becuase of the greater density of SF 6. His audio step up transformer weighed 39 lbs each so they would handle serious wattage without saturation.

yes they suffered from loss of coating and cell bias breakdown as common failure modes, but driven with the best high power amplifiers of the 70's and 80s - Threshold, Krell, etc they had good dynamics and fast , deep bass response, a double pair was a thrill to hear. still have some.....

http://www.dayton-wright.com/XG-8-Mk3.html

Last edited:
Not so fast there Scotty , much better vehicle than that there 5 series, the new Tesla S is a fantastic auto.

You as usual youi are entitled to your opinion. BTW I have owned Merc's, several BMW's, Saabs , Gremlins, Citations, Suburbans, I guess I just don't get it. I don't wank to the right tune.

RIP Bob Casale cars just don't get me jerking like a fish on a pole.

Last edited:
I'm not in agreement on limited SPL, i have heard more than a few large ESL that had more than enuff go unless one was partially deaf :) The Beveridge was self amplified , this may have contributed to most of its SPL issues..

Tesla S two words SALT WATER.

How about the cell phone batteries igniting in peoples pockets? Seems whether a Dreamliner, Tesla, or cell phone there is still something going on with lithium Ion batteries, we have not gotten the safety factor figured out at this point. Does anyone know what the cause is at this time, fast discharge or fast recharge or what besides physical damage to the cells?

Thanks Pavel,
I notice I have never had a problem with my battery powered hand tools. I do need to replace some batteries on just such a thing, my cordless drill sat for a couple years and now the batteries are dead. If I can find some good batteries I can replace them myself rather than pay the over $80.00 per pack replacement charge, they actually made it so you can open up the holders which was nice, now to find a source of raw cells.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I hope you don't have those horrible Motorola tweeters.

No. With the corrected square wave coming from the transformer they had
a nice top end. Interestingly, the higher mass of the Sulfur Hexaflouride bath
exaggerated the curve of the diaphragms when it met the outside air, so the
high frequency dispersion was quite good, much better than you see elsewhere
for large ESL's.

Sulfur Hex is apparently listed as a carcinogen. I remember Dan D' Agostino
(then the rep for DW) inhaling it so as to talk with the big deep voice...

Of course, not nearly as bad as the Ozone from the Ion Cloud Loudspeakers.

:cool:

Last edited:
Carcinogen? I seriously doubt that. The stuff is very chemically nonreactive, and in fact it's used in several medical procedures that result in it being dissolved in blood.

The voice effects are indeed interesting- the opposite of helium. When I worked at Hopkins, we were breathing it as part of an experiment- I immediately started singing "Old Man River," sounding like Paul Robeson. The prof was not amused.

Status
Not open for further replies.