John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
HTTP 301 This page has been moved

:)Ignore the text it links to the real package.

Was this the daddy of todays leadless SMD packages?

Yes that's the one. That package was a problem, sort of custom because our QA dept refused to deal with the vendors of cheap automotive SIP's. Believe it or not our cost was $0.95 at the 100k level, killed margins. I have played 8 Ohm bookshelf speakers with these (the sound of the thermal shutdown going off and on was something else).

BTW Walt J's 823/815 composite amp is a great line/headphone stage.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The complements listed are usually at the same breakdown voltage and ft. The mobility of holes vs. electrons will push some parameters out of complement, it's the users choice which.

Some sources are "matched" compl only by their dc parameters - like Vbe and arent remotely alike for hfe or much of anything else. Some to92 compliments from NTE are like this. So, just noting that 'matched pair' can mean just about anything from mfr to mfr. Same breakdown and ft are hardly what we need for low distortion so finding matched pairs on the curve tracer is a good starting point.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Hitsware,
Okay, but Scott's earlier comment made it sound like the matching even what is being done is not really much of a match except at a very narrow range of value. Doesn't sound like any true complementary devices between NPN and PNP really exist even from the same manufacturer due to the process and plain old physics.

> Doesn't sound like any true complementary devices between
> NPN and PNP really exist even from the same manufacturer

OK , But I say the closest to being 'true' complementary pairs
are those designed as such. There may be some flukes that
indicate otherwise, but very few .

Same story on 2N3906/3904 hoe's very different.

BTW I don't get the big deal, designs should not need obsessive matching.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
> Some to92 compliments from NTE are like this.

NTE is a supplier, not a manufacturer. I would
not use them as any kind of referance.

[/url]

I am fairly certain that I didnt use them as a reference part rather an example of what is called a compl pair by the seller/mfr. And, that compli seems to mean different things to different mfrs. You can not just go by mfr suggestion as to what are compli for low distortion audio. There are some N-P types which are excellent compli but are not in same package/wattage rating... but as small signal devices, its OK.

Thx-RNMarsh

I am fairly certain that I didnt use them as a reference part rather an example of what is called a compl pair by the seller/mfr. And, that compli seems to mean different things to different mfrs. You can not just go by mfr suggestion as to what are compli for low distortion audio. There are some N-P types which are excellent compli but are not in same package/wattage rating... but as small signal devices, its OK.

Thx-RNMarsh
Would you cite an example ?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"Yes that's the one. That package was a problem, sort of custom because our QA dept refused to deal with the vendors of cheap automotive SIP's. Believe it or not our cost was $0.95 at the 100k level, killed margins. I have played 8 Ohm bookshelf speakers with these (the sound of the thermal shutdown going off and on was something else)."

Cheap automotive?We have a billion $ plus biz in that segment and it drives quality throughout the org to unbelievably high standards. AEC100 on power devices - tough to get through. Maybe you mean cheap sub cons - that's a totally different kettle of fish ;)

Cheap automotive?We have a billion $ plus biz in that segment and it drives quality throughout the org to unbelievably high standards. AEC100 on power devices - tough to get through. Maybe you mean cheap sub cons - that's a totally different kettle of fish ;)

I had no say so don't know. I brought a very servicable automotive audio power amp from ST into the packaging dept as an example and they said simply, "We don't deal with those vendors". They would have been refering to package sub cons in that case, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.