John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The highend $$$ has done great , the last 5 yrs best ever, you should come out with a 5K chip with gold pins...

Exactly, the very high end, I rarely interview anyone these days with an audio hobby including folks with 10+ years of experience and 6 figure incomes. The 20-30 somethings with a hobby instinct now often go the "maker" route instead.

I don't see that tier of folks interested in better sound as a hobby and then get enough income to spent more serious money. You are certainly entitled to call JC's experience with the BT "doing great".

Solid gold pins? It was suggested I sign 797's with an engraving tool after personally guaranteeing their performance, not my thing.

Re: spellchecker.

Does your browser not perform that function? [Usually via an "add-on" dictionary, though for the latest Firefox only a US dictionary is available.]

Eye halve a spelling chequer. It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word and weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write. It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid. It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite. Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it. I am shore your pleased two no.
Its letter perfect in it's weight. My chequer tolled me sew.

Sauce Unknown

hi-end earners (1%ers)

< 0.1%

(In practice, only 1/10th of those are likely to fall for the top high-end. Of the ones with a net worth up to $50m I'm familiar with, the majority is B&O grade, at best.)

The 1% earners are more likely to buy 5mV biased output stage Marantz monaurals, as those look so pretty but remain nice and cool, instead of JC-1's for the same $-amount.

< 0.1%

(In practice, only 1/10th of those are likely to fall for the top high-end. Of the ones with a net worth up to $50m I'm familiar with, the majority is B&O grade, at best.)

The 1% earners are more likely to buy 5mV biased output stage Marantz monaurals, as those look so pretty but remain nice and cool, instead of JC-1's for the same $-amount.

Agree, for my Belgian friends in the $200-$300k (I know that's more like the 1%) Euro bracket B&O would be the choice if one wanted the "best". I've actually been to Struer, I wish I had the time to visit the B&O museum.

Anyone who has had to write a college paper and run it through a grammar checker knows that two different checkers will give different results. The English language is loaded with many traps, it isn't easy to get it all right, that's for sure. And then you get that passive verses active sentence stuff that will drive you crazy.

Jan,
These days it is amazing how slang words are being added to the dictionary and other words are lost through lack of use. It was amazing the common errors that were used by college students in their writings. I know my biggest errors were in punctuation more than with spelling or grammar errors. I would never say that the English language is easy to master and then we have the differences between the spelling in England and the USA, two very different things. Color vs colour and on it goes.

B&O ..... german Bose ?...:)

Any of you guys have experience using Terks, i need a good indoor antenna , will this micro device really work ...

I gave my daughter a pancake antenna with little preamp from Costco, works pretty well. It uses the USB power that all the new TV's have, a touch of cleverness and convenience.

You have one thing right the 1% crowd here probably has more Bose than all others combined.

EDIT - That would be the Winegard Amplified Flatwave.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Any of you guys have experience using Terks, i need a good indoor antenna , will this micro device really work ...

No.

-RM

Most of the people I have ever met do not listen to music much or not at all. Some dont own anything to play or listen to music with. Its a very small world here. And, Hi-End? Even smaller than small.

THx- Richard

Last edited:
Jan,
These days it is amazing how slang words are being added to the dictionary and other words are lost through lack of use.

Are you knackered today, feel like a pillock and need something to be gobsmacked by? Come to London, get on the pisss, become arseholed drunk, then watch the crowd having a butchers at you *) and mind the comments about septic *) - that's about you, bloody yank.

*) cockney rhyming slang

Status
Not open for further replies.