John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sy,
I would assume with a switch the changeover would be instantaneous, but then I keep hearing about how the switch skews the results? What else can you possibly do that would switch without some kind of contacts, even a relay has contacts? As for testing to +/- 1db or less then I assume that you are using one pair of speakers that should be flat across the frequency band. The problem is how many speakers actually could do this, most don't even come close and then how does the FR affect the results. A rise in one device could match a dip in the FR of the speaker and you could miss that. If you correct the speaker with a 1/3 octave eq then you have all the phase shift that brings with it. Never easy is it?

I lifted this from LME Answers posts

Bob Pease was able to hear the difference between the LME49710' and 713's in the sound room at National and was shocked that he could do that at 67 years old. ..

F. Insert your guess here

But sadly we never got the chance to check out any of these possibilities together.

I hope some of you are enjoying listening to our LME Opamps! A ton of work (5+years), millions of $’s and some luck (and prayers) went into getting the LME series of parts produced.

Best LME Audio Regards,

Audioman54 / Mark
Attached Thumbnails

F. Micro transient slurring of detail, places it 'out of time' with the body of the signal.

The human ear hears this and thinks it is extra or found detail. It is that, according to how our ears function. But only on initial analysis.

Most won't take it further, finding that the first answer they reach fits their expectations and desires..and they stop right there. Sometimes for their entire lives. This does not belong in a research or investigative environment, one must continue past found answers to be sure they are correct. Exploration must continue, even if it was and is the correct answer. There's always something else....

If one listens again, for a while.... and learns to listen for obscured aspects of the sonic presentation that is happening due to this phenomena, then one realizes the false detail aspect of a steel/metal can is horribly wrong. Or an aluminum can, or other metals. Specifically the ferromagnetics, or anything that has a level of hysteresis function. Stainless, nickels, etc.

Not saying plastic dip is any better, but a metal can is not an upgrade to dip packages, with respect to use in wideband performance audio applications. We turn back to the original signetics ceramic, again, for an answer. For all the right reasons.

Then one arrives at the question of levels, time, complex impedance, field effects, and the rest...all rolled into one... and this intermixing... and how this works in the hearing function in relation to this finding.... and wonders. The answer is that, right or wrong, it is the ear that is the arbiter - and a damn fine one it is.

Last edited:
F. Micro transient slurring of detail, places it 'out of time' with the body of the signal.

The human ear hears this and thinks it is extra or found detail. It is that, according to how our ears function. But only on initial analysis.

Most won't take it further, finding that the first answer they find fits their expectations and desires..and they stop right there. Sometimes for their entire lives.

But, if one listens again, for a while and learns to listen for obscured aspects of the sonic presentation that is happening due to this phenomena, then one realizes the false detail aspect of a steel/metal can is horribly wrong. Or an aluminum can, or other metals. Specifically the ferromagnetics, or anything that has a level of hysteresis function. Stainless, nickels, etc.

Yeah right!

The curious thing about audio is that some things require being obsessively careful about ... and other things can be quite sloppily done, and you get away with it. The thing is, different people have completely different groupings of these "things" - which is why the sound qualities people tune into, which they think are 'right', vary so much between individuals ...

The DBT is for the scienctist, as long as I get to hear it, fine , they can have their results, I'm happy and we can finally put this to bed ..

Yeah ... :rolleyes:

Scotty here's a really good Big Cd ( as my kids call it) ...:)

Ps: Sorry Dutchie ..:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 224
Status
Not open for further replies.