John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. In addition, for this specific system the source and load impedance are very important as well.

jn

Sure, that's why we analyze a cable driven from almost zero impedance and terminated by a speaker - complex impedance with series inductance (almost infinite impedance at high frequencies) and why we speak about possible R-C termination to reduce high frequency reflections. I thought this was the goal.

Stupid me, forgetting, Au wire was not to be left out, yes I'll get me some 14-16awg gold wire on my next Mouser order, gotta PN for me as well?
If you can lend me some, I'll be sure to return it to you ;-) Maybe I'll show it off as my new jewelry, as well, I hope it has a transparent sheath, so I can get the full effect. Maybe wrapping it around my head neck will help me hear the BIG difference ;-) I am a silly a$$. It will be the only jewelry I have. Okay back to code, really, I have said enough already today.
Cheers

By converting to 10 pieces of 10 ohm units, and arranging them on a ground plane in a spoked arrangement, I was able to get the parasitic L out, and the subsequent 250 picosecond risetime was flat topped.

I understand you, in the eighties I was designing high voltage dividers to measure fast transients like 1.2/50us wave and 1.2/50us chopped wave (dielectric breakdown). Groundplane (floor = plane) + series damping. Even the reflections on the high voltage input line (wire) must have been damped.

Last edited:
Actually I was told by Jack Bybee that gold wire is exceptional. Too much for me, however, AND all of my cables that I use today are copper or copper-aluminum. Silver wire is on the inside of the CTC Blowtorch, only. I did Blowtorches with both quality copper and quality silver wire. Silver won for me, but it is quite a hassle to break in, so most of my designs use quality copper wire, and aluminum cases.

Sanity

:rolleyes:
With over 46,000 posts on this the second thread, one would imagine that continuing the debate regarding uncontrolled subjective testing versus strictly controlled testing is a futile pursuit. Those who do so are totally wasting their time.....

That being so, why not attempt to keep this topic somewhere near pre-amp design and implementation?

Thank you for re-stating what makes many of us roll our eyes :rolleyes: along with unsubstantiated comments on subjective quality...I've been involved in both forms of evaluation and neither is without problems...maybe there is a different thread more appropriate for these kinds of comments?

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

Sure, that's why we analyze a cable driven from almost zero impedance and terminated by a speaker - complex impedance with series inductance (almost infinite impedance at high frequencies) and why we speak about possible R-C termination to reduce high frequency reflections. I thought this was the goal.

There are several goals.

Termination to reduce hf reflections is a stability concern especially if the line is low z. and the load lets go at hf. But that's where you guys already excel.

I'm also concerned about image reconstruction and what compromises it.

I understand you, in the eighties I was designing high voltage dividers to measure fast transients like 1.2/50us wave and 1.2/50us chopped wave (dielectric breakdown). Groundplane (floor = plane) + series damping. Even the reflections on the high voltage input line (wire) must have been damped.
Oh man, that musta been ugly. HV and low inductance are almost mutually exclusive.:eek:

jn

Laser distortion analog. For directly modulated the worst we have seen is -130 dB. Externally modulated about 59 dB lower. This at 100 kilometers.

Linearity is really depend and on the package. Laser run class A because there is no such thing as negative photons. With out cooling there will be a point were you get thermal roll off ( the high end of the amplitude). I will have to get current numbers but it is very good.

The noise we are interested in is RIN, and that is pushing -180 dB.

Foe to slink, get a grin lens and some 50 um multi mode or smf28 single mode Fiber. Make sure everything is angle polished. Hack a to slink connector And stuff the grin lens ( without alignment use a multi mode fiber) get the right pitch lens so you can but it up. Single mode sources are still available that can be swapped out for to slink, but the run at 1300 Nam so you will need a receiver too.

In the analog mode , one thing of interest is the laser acts very much like a tube. You can tube a harmonic profile. Clipping is similar though asymmetrical.

My apologies for the phone typing.

One more note, the name of the game with fiber optics in audio is keeping back reflections low. The distances are extremely short so they are high. Where light differed any radiation with the opposite k vector will be absorbed by the laser and crest havoc to your signal. Hence the angle optics. Lasers do come with optical isolators but the adds a least $1000 to the package cost.

Wahrs

LOLOLOL..I love her!

I have yet to meet anyone who has made a statement such as "silver sounds different than copper" who has actually done their due diligence and constructed the two cables identically in conductor geometry as well as dielectric composition and geometry. As a result, these statements make a conclusion about the metal used, yet their evaluation involves changing many variables.

This leaves the two cables potentially very different in all of the characteristics people are elucidating here.

Has anyone actually made identical cables varying only by the alloy used in the conductor and yet is still willing to make this claim?

Interested in NC,

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

ps: Scott, did you catch my FZ special in Dec?

Laser distortion analog. For directly modulated the worst we have seen is -130 dB. Externally modulated about 59 dB lower. This at 100 kilometers.

Linearity is really depend and on the package. Laser run class A because there is no such thing as negative photons. With out cooling there will be a point were you get thermal roll off ( the high end of the amplitude). I will have to get current numbers but it is very good.

The noise we are interested in is RIN, and that is pushing -180 dB.

Foe to slink, get a grin lens and some 50 um multi mode or smf28 single mode Fiber. Make sure everything is angle polished. Hack a to slink connector And stuff the grin lens ( without alignment use a multi mode fiber) get the right pitch lens so you can but it up. Single mode sources are still available that can be swapped out for to slink, but the run at 1300 Nam so you will need a receiver too.

In the analog mode , one thing of interest is the laser acts very much like a tube. You can tube a harmonic profile. Clipping is similar though asymmetrical.

So, problems which are so specific to the discipline that it wasn't even taught in a masters optics class..

I believe that very few EE's are even exposed to that stuff.. Me, at least I recognized the word "kilometers"...;)

thanks for the reply..

jn

We use CVD diamond for our laser sub mounts to aid in cooling efficiency. Thus making them more linear over the military temp range. Crappy electrical conductor. There are some forms that will though. I know dome groups have been working on thin film super conductors. It is a ceramic but in thin film it takes on the properties of the bulk host, like a wire

jneutron said:
Here's your base misconception in a nutshell. I've held off explaining this to you, as I had hoped you would eventually figure it out on your own. I just gave that up..

We are looking at and discussion settling times and delays in the 1 to say, 10 microsecond frequency range. Invert that timeframe and tell me where the audio frequency is??? Haven't you ever bought a tectronix scope probe??

The most difficult aspect of this problem is the concern over 5 uSec level effects in a signal pair which is typically 20Khz max.

The balance of your post is irrelevant. Stop claiming what my position is, as you continue to mis-state it.
My "base misconception" is just transmission line theory, as found in any decent textbook. If you don't accept that then we have no basis for useful discussion. You now appear to be admitting that your claim is irrelevant to audio as it involves frequencies well outside the audible band.

I have tried on several occasions to understand what you are saying. I have sought to check if there is any relevance in it, by first establishing that I have understood what you are saying. My conclusion is that bouncing fast pulses or sharp edges up and down a transmission line is irrelevant to audio (as I first suspected). The behaviour of a cable at audio frequencies is well understood (although clearly not by everyone).

As far as I am concerned this discussion is now closed. For the avoidance of doubt, I am not backing down. I maintain my position, but I cannot convince you. Maybe someone else can try?

Status
Not open for further replies.