John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is appropriate for you to comment on this mans patent in that nature.

I realize your prejudice in this category but perhaps things are done in a strategical sense and not in the literal sense.

Not everything that has to do with cables is B.S. We use specific sizes for heaters, solid where convenient, flexible where necessary, shielded where necessary......

When I was a kid I used to wire 12V car stereo amps with 14/2. As it turns out you can carry more DC current through thicker multistrand wire. Is this snake oil or physics?

So is this guys patent snake oil? No. There is no disputing wires of different physical makeups have different electrical properties.

From what I gather from breezing over this patent, his product is proposed to be made of as many small conductors as possible.
Is he right? I have been wrong before.

His concept is not out of line with daily practices used around here.

If his patent is "weapons grade stupid", we can wire everything with simple 26awg zip-cord. Everything from the battery cable your car to the power lines that run down the street can all be zip cord.

I would be interested in viewing some of your patents Sy, they must be amazing. Or perhaps they did not let you patent the red LED?

I don't think it is appropriate for you to comment on this mans patent in that nature.

Some might think that it's best to allow stupidity and the incompetence of bureaucracies to be unremarked. I don't share that view.

If his patent is "weapons grade stupid", we can wire everything with simple 26awg zip-cord.

Non-sequitur.

Reading that Patent is an interesting example in how many words can be used, yet there is no substance, apart from a nostalgic reference to his uncle. Now maybe I missed something, but was ALL his data based on him listening to the cable, as I did not see any measurements on would expect of such a wonderful transducer!!!
Thus, the cable provides an accurate electrical signal transducer that can be used to send any kind of electronic signal between two or more components.
He also mentions, I believe that this cable would also be suitable for digital and video signal transfer.

Because no one knows or agrees upon what measurements should be used to determine the acoustic transparency of a cable, most known cables are designed using only variables at hand, i.e. the construction technique and shielding.
Translation: I don't know, therefore nobody else does either.

The best way to determine the accuracy of an audio cable is by listening to music with a system that incorporates the cable of interest. One objective way to determine which approach to cable construction is better is by listening for reproduction of recorded information. If more recorded information can be heard, then this is an objective observation.
Translation: on my home planet, the meanings of 'objective' and 'subjective' are the reverse of what they are here on Earth. I forgot to swap them when I wrote the Earth version of the patent application.

Yes, when they started issuing patents for perpetual motion machines,

"Proposals for such inoperable machines have become so common that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has made an official policy of refusing to grant patents for perpetual motion machines without a working model. The USPTO Manual of Patent Examining Practice states:
With the exception of cases involving perpetual motion, a model is not ordinarily required by the Office to demonstrate the operability of a device. If operability of a device is questioned, the applicant must establish it to the satisfaction of the examiner, but he or she may choose his or her own way of so doing.[23]
And, further, that:
A rejection [of a patent application] on the ground of lack of utility includes the more specific grounds of inoperativeness, involving perpetual motion. A rejection under 35 U.S.C. 101 for lack of utility should not be based on grounds that the invention is frivolous, fraudulent or against public policy.[24]"

Sy why did you not tell the truth?
It now appears you have less credibility then the patent holder you loath so much.:xeye:

Sy why did you not tell the truth?

I did. Crackpot inventors and charlatans have learned how to use different words to say the same thing and that gets by the civil servants working at USPTO, as well as by credulous internet forum posters.

See, for example, 7095126, 6960975, 5710531, 4385246, and a few hundred more if your search skills extend beyond cut and pasting from Wikipedia.

It is unfortunate that we are back to discussing audio cables. There are other areas on this website for that, even if they are usually heavily biased against any audible differences between cables.
This patent makes little sense to me, but without a working model, how can I actually know if it has any merit? I prefer to ignore what I cannot prove to be a hoax.

This patent makes little sense to me, but without a working model, how can I actually know if it has any merit? I prefer to ignore what I cannot prove to be a hoax.

I think "hoax" is an inaccurate term- I get the impression that this guy actually believes the nonsense he wrote, and there's no shortage of credulous marks who will happily believe that an issued patent is an imprimatur that the claims are valid.

It is unfortunate that we are back to discussing audio cables. There are other areas on this website for that, even if they are usually heavily biased against any audible differences between cables.
For more than 30 years I have watch as the experts beat their chest and said that cable can't make a difference . This even when I raised the question of how can different material insulators different conductors made of several different metal and alloys and different configurations balanced , ubbalanced , sheilded and unsheilded all function as the same . No good answer was forth come as it is still that way today. The cost of audiophile cable is one of low volume and very high price more a study of what the market will bare than what that cable is of real value. The snake oil story work better than a quality definition of what the cable is made of and how it works. Hevenside in some of what I read liked hemp as in insulator other like cotton and silk. Western Electric used hignly anealed copper of it wire because it was less prone to breaking . Some find it to sound to their liking. Snake oil sells science not so much.

john curl said:
Until I actually try a cable, I usually have little to say about it.
One of the wonders of modern science is that it is quite good at predicting the results of experiments which have not yet been performed. That relieves us from the burden of having to try everything that anyone suggests. Only at the forefront of knowledge (which despite all claims to the contrary, does not include audio electronics) is the outcome of an experiment likely to be partially unknown.

I have never tried running my petrol-engined car on diesel fuel. Should I try it, just in case it works OK? Or by refusing to do so am I being 'closed-minded'?

Triodethom said:
This even when I raised the question of how can different material insulators different conductors made of several different metal and alloys and different configurations balanced , ubbalanced , sheilded and unsheilded all function as the same . No good answer was forth come as it is still that way today.
I am surprised that nobody gave you a 'good answer'; or was it that you did not accept the 'good answer' because it did not suit your preconceptions? There are two reasons which when taken together are the 'good answer' you seek for why competently-made audio cables all function the same:
1. low frequencies mean that the quasi-static (i.e. circuit theory) approximation may be used unless the cable is very long.
2. in this approximation a cable is just a lumped network which is a potential divider with a small series impedance and a high shunt impedance - provided that they are sufficiently small/large respectively then the cable cannot make a difference.
There is an assumption in this: that the cable does not also provide an alternate path for ground currents - if it does then the issue is ground current control, not cable quality. 'Competently-made' includes screen/shield integrity, where difficulties can add noise which may be misinterpreted as "detail".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.