John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually, I don't hear background noise in the electronics, but sometimes I hear the goove noise when playing a record. Guess what, Jack Bybee showed me a way to REMOVE VIRTUALLY ALL the groove noise with a simple quantum part in the input. I will try it at home, soon, but it really works! He did an A-B on his system where the electronics is comparable with mine.

I also cannot teach you to read.

C'mon Uncle Sy,

Free up some of that knowledge, noise floor at 44 db, 3M listening distance 89db/W/m speakers, digital noise advantage...?

I am not saying "bad". But definitely audible, especially for pianissimo music. Smoothing :) Masking :)

I do agree with you on Piano, speed drift is an issue, on sprung turntables, it's mostly from the suspension, in need of new springs or adjustment ( motor aside) on really good TT's with good speed stability( read: heavy , big, ) it is not an issue.

Piano will eliminate the TT pretenders quickly ... :)

Usually, I don't hear background noise in the electronics, but sometimes I hear the goove noise when playing a record. Guess what, Jack Bybee showed me a way to REMOVE VIRTUALLY ALL the groove noise with a simple quantum part in the input. I will try it at home, soon, but it really works! He did an A-B on his system where the electronics is comparable with mine.

Groove noise is dependent on LP pressings and TT tracking on better pressings/arm/cartridge setups noise is usually in the noise floor.
Huber's new FMA phono stage has a circuit to cure pops and clicks, it works without audible degradation...

PS: Thanks Uncle Sy ....

There are plenty of the 8 legs hidden very highly acclaimed phono pre's. You place the SOTA qualifier on it so what am I to say, who determines that? I've had at least two of JC's highly respected buddies do it.

Would you participate in a real no peeking A/B?

I would.
Though no switching box, no switch between sources and I have enough time to listen, on my own audio setup.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
that video demo of the 223 removing snaps, crackles and pops is pretty cool.
any ideas how they do it?

mlloyd1

Traditionally this is done with slew-rate dependent filtering. Crackles and pops generally have higher slew rates than the music and that triggers the filtering.
Such units come and go seemingly once every decade ;)

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.