John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry Wayne, they will always reduce it down to 'hearing no difference'. That is the fundamental problem here, some believe that 'most differences are imaginary' and others, like me, find that almost everything can make a difference.
That is why I can hear the differences in my own designs, and this makes me 'honest' with myself about what the limitations are.

Don't worry Wayne, they will always reduce it down to 'hearing no difference'. That is the fundamental problem here, some believe that 'most differences are imaginary' and others, like me, find that almost everything can make a difference.
That is why I can hear the differences in my own designs, and this makes me 'honest' with myself about what the limitations are.

John, Mitch Cotter was quite happy with his 1 IC preamp. I helped him with an AD797 turn-on problem once and he was very happy.

Can we Diy it , or is that off limits ....... :)

Nothings off limits except peeking. Unimpeachable integrity doesn't count, there has to be a trained referee.

I would consider an IC used in an exotic way as not really the best choice. The AD745 also lends itself to open-loop use via the null pins. Two of them cross-coupled and anti-phase makes a nice diff-in/diff-out preamp at about 2nV.

Noise, and that's another point, if the noise floors are very different it would taint things. That's why IMHO there can never be a valid CD vs LP comparison.

Subjectively, Yes... Items used in practical situation as intended tells the tale, audio is after all , entertainment and monies spent is towards this target.

LP survives, because when used as intended, it rises to the top .... now, is John redeemed for going discrete, well until we can get that Highend audiophile approved IC from Scotty .. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.