John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scheme presented by John is really very elegant and effective in your goal (low noise and excellent quality amplification ). It is very sad that we can not benefit from it without huge efforts.

No huge effort necessary unless you drink the koolaid. Trust in yourself. If you want to think that Toshiba FET's made in the 80's matched to ridiculous levels is the only thing that you can bare to listen to, that is your problem.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think hand matched FET's are nice for those who believe a hand made umbrella made in Italy by artisans with 100 years of experience is necessary to keep the rain off Die, Workwear! - Bespoke Umbrellas. However I think getting the same performance without the bespoke pretentiousness is a much more interesting challenge. To do that inside a seriously limited budget you really need to know the parts and techniques well. (Think Parasound version.) Unfortunately, since it wont have braided crocodile skin on the knobs it can't be any good.

OK, this is the final schematic of this series.
It is what we often make preamps with, today, including designs like the Blowtorch, Constellation phono input, and even the new Vendetta. You will find similar circuits in both Charles Hansen's Ayre, and Nelson Pass's AWARD WINNING DESIGNS.
We go to these lengths, BECAUSE WE CAN. And we like to win listening contests. '-)

Woops! Forgot the schematic!

Attachments

• cdfc.jpg
    cdfc.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 429
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The Toshibas have become the solid state version of Telefunkens I suppose. They are nice parts but not magic. The circuits are the interesting part.

JC has a life time stash of his favorite fets so not much need to change to something else. But I wonder how the new Linear Systems fets will do in many places.... they seem like a great new part... low capacitance as well.

Has anyone used them yet and done tests on them? (LSK107/LSJ74). Have you, John, tried them and what do you think about using them in your topologies? Will you be using them any time soon?

-Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Try a belt drive, my VPI is rather ludicrus (NOT $90K though) but far above the average and highly rated in its day. Really try it, it's very easy maybe 10min work. Better yet do a mono mix of two passes and put each as one channel in a stereo signal and just listen. Remember a fixed miss in the exact alignment by a couple of samples is one thing (pretty benign) what you get is another.

Piano's work for me , a table with high drift will destroy the sound of a piano, a proper servo controlled table should not have this issue .

Another question John :
Hi John, i recently tried a 2N2484 8 pcs (TI) // combination. I was surprised by the incredible quality gain : silence depth first, headroom second. I didn't notice any increase in base current! It seems the device is working as giant quiet transistor, like those early 60' germanium ! I didn't use any aditional emitter resistor. I don't remember who said there were 10 transistors existing types only (marketing , boxing case, pinout are the only differences) ... Remember the old early transistors ? compare the chip size to the currently available transistors : noticed the reduced quantities of embodied material ?
It 's the same with copper ! Available wire from CxxxA is containing more ferrous than copper , at this point it triggers the anti theft alarm loops after cash register ! ;-)

Then throw up a ying for John's Yang ..... :)

I have in several places here. I did it in my basement so it must be over three years ago and posted it here. They were pictures of taking any two, unmatched FET pairs as an op-amp input and trimming both offset to 0 and OLG to infinite at the same time. You could just as well trim offset and TC to 0 with a little more work. Your hand matched FET's are only matched in 1 dimension. I demonstrated at BA that FET's with as much as 100mV offset, after trim, do not have extra 2nd harmonic distortion. The trims are relatively cheap and virtually all commercial modules used them even after starting with matched pairs.

If you want Linear Systems to succeed in selling FET's it does not help to have threads where a bag of 50 NOS Toshiba's only yield 2 sets of matched quads and applying the same logic.

Piano's work for me , a table with high drift will destroy the sound of a piano, a proper servo controlled table should not have this issue .

I'm more concerned concerned with "jitter", translating even the best tables to CD terms is rather eye opening (so to speak) ;). I might be able to repeat the experiment with a Thorens TD160 is that good enough? Is there anyone who would try this with an SP10 and make the files available, just a couple of minutes with a few seconds of noisy leadin groove should do it.

BTW there are Fourrier techniques for file alignment that essentially use the entire file at once. They use them in speckle imaging of double stars. And then there's diffmaker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.