John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
John,
[snip]The error is the magazines and I have notified them.

FWIW, I don't see much substance in the whole article. It needs
to be done more scientifically with much better plot resolution.

One thing I did like was the NP interview.

Terry

Terry,

Glad you liked the NP interview.

Ed Dell confirmed to me that the captions were indeed switched.

jd

Simply go to "Analog Source". The thread is called "MPP".

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/154210-mpp-119.html#post2157003 is found here.

Attached are some measurements of the Dale vs the Vishay. These are the "E" version, but the values requested were only available in the "C" version which has almost the same results as the "E", but I could not quickly find those.

Since these are just two sets of curves, I should mention these are very close, compare the pink curves. The dale has slightly more 2nd harmonic distortion. The 3rd harmonic tracks self heating due to signal level. At phono level I would expect this not be be an issue.

Of course "everyone" knows it is impossible to hear distortion at that level!

So this entire project really never happened!

Attachments

• Vishay VS Dale.doc
    54.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I was hoping for added input on use of chokes for pi networks in power supplies. It might be that this is beyond, or at least outside the interest of people look in at this time. I do know that new government regulations will force audio manufacturers to either seriously compromise their power supplies or we will find adequate modifications or alternatives to the status quo, namely the single cap charge through a transformer.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I was hoping for added input on use of chokes for pi networks in power supplies. It might be that this is beyond, or at least outside the interest of people look in at this time. I do know that new government regulations will force audio manufacturers to either seriously compromise their power supplies or we will find adequate modifications or alternatives to the status quo, namely the single cap charge through a transformer.

John what kind of gov regulations are those? Is this US or Europe?

jd

Of course "everyone" knows it is impossible to hear distortion at that level!

So this entire project really never happened!

Still wild speculation with no basis. Distortion at the < -130dB level (very low order for that matter) would be impossible to separate from any real world amplifier/transducer chain. So, it can't proven one way or the other.

You can get information on new laws that limit especially stand by current in electrical aparatus from the German High End Society. Mr.Hecker the president is sitting in a gremium is Brussels. As i understand his Interview he did in several German magazines this laws will not come earliers then in three years but will make Class A amplifiers or tube amps imposible to sell. A pettition is going to avoid that situation and has the goal to leave out High End Audio. Is is already dicided that cars are taken out of the equation. Sofar about lobbyism.

Status
Not open for further replies.