John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
I have over and over again done things which "shouldn't make a difference" ... but, they do, so I'm happy to believe that there is "something" to this device.
What is there to this device that we may have missed. By the way I will soon have some products you may be interested in.

Mistake noted Sy...

Still no answer from the Bybee supporters club, WHY is this product only marketed to Audiophiles and not to general electronics users especially people who work with low noise critical analogue stuff, anyone care to answer....

Care to elaborate ?.

Dan.
When I fluked the "good sound", after 5 minutes or so the quality degenerated back to conventional levels, in a slow, steady decline that could only be 'undone' by resetting all the equipment - by that I mean powering down all the gear, letting the power supply caps discharge, and switching back on again. What was happening was that interference and other factors slowly destabilised the operating conditions within the components, and it has been a battle over many years trying to circumvent that behaviour. Interestingly enough, once you tune into this aspect of quality variation you can hear it occur in equipment you're totally unfamiliar with - I once heard a demo of the "best" MBL gear, very well engineered high end, and the track started very impressively, but then, uh oh, the telltale signs of quality fall off begain to raise their ugly head ...

Attachments

• Quack.jpg
    Quack.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 154
Originally Posted by Fas42
When I fluked the "good sound", after 5 minutes or so the quality degenerated back to conventional levels, in a slow, steady decline that could only be 'undone' by resetting all the equipment - by that I mean powering down all the gear, letting the power supply caps discharge, and switching back on again. What was happening was that interference and other factors slowly destabilised the operating conditions within the components, and it has been a battle over many years trying to circumvent that behaviour. Interestingly enough, once you tune into this aspect of quality variation you can hear it occur in equipment you're totally unfamiliar with - I once heard a demo of the "best" MBL gear, very well engineered high end, and the track started very impressively, but then, uh oh, the telltale signs of quality fall off begain to raise their ugly head ...
interference and other factors destabilised the operating conditions within the components, how do they no the difference between interference and signal???
I'd get a new system.
STILL NO ANSWER: Why are BQPs only available to Audiophiles.....

interference and other factors destabilised the operating conditions within the components, how do they no the difference between interference and signal???
Because the signal is travelling along the expected electrical paths, largely; and interference, well, "interferes" everywhere. As a simple example, the power supply may be disturbed by various, unexpected factors.

I'm not going to say that I understand precisely the why, the what, the when - if I did I would have written the reference volume on the subject years ago, and be sunbaking in the Bahamas from the proceeds. Unfortunately, I, like others in similar situations, am observing behaviours, attempting to understand to at least a first level what the characteristics are, theorising about possible causes, and attempting to mitigate the negative aspects.

Again, if I understood it all, I would be a lot further ahead. Static buildup appears to be a major culprit in many instances - I take measures which mitigate against this happening, and I have improved sound. Ott has much to offer, going the rounds in every area of possible ill effects will eventually knock down enough problems to get a sufficient quality of sound.

For me, the key factor was achieving that quality of sound on a number of occasions - having very clear, very well defined goalposts makes all the difference to one's motivation; if you're searching for something "better", and that destination is a vague, nebulous thing then it obviously makes the journey that much harder ...

I would have written the reference volume on the subject years ago, and be sunbaking in the Bahamas from the proceeds.

For all we know, you may be sunbaking near Brisbane, on the gold coast.

Standard characteristic of Quackers is larding claimed observations with various arguements of a highly subjective nature, then attempt to wrap it with substantation of a seemingly scientific approach.
Typical also is the lavish use of words, preferably suave ones, as a camouflage cover of comments lacking a real meaning.
As a stereotype lawyer does.

The classic Duck fails to see, that body language is unable to lie, and once logged and cata-logged, is impossible to misinterpret.
To spot the Duck, merely register and identify the Quack. And vice versa.

(Naturally, due to a malfunctioning, somewhat psychotic BCI, it could mistakably be mixed up with a trolley-bag. Not now Humphrey, I'll talk to you later)

Last edited:
For some :D reason, here we call such cars “pussy-traps”.

George

When baiting the bear be careful the bear doesn't get you.

On that note my reservation with SY's Bybee measurements is that they showed no difference between a resistor and the device under test. At some level albeit may be very small there should be a difference.

Now my personal favorites are magical rocks and wine. One clearly improves the enjoyment of music. If only I could remember which one it was.

ES

How this the bybee changes thing a small amount see the Linear Audio review . The placebo effect is then waved over it and the suggestion that it is a magic change is injected . The very powerful Placebo has blessed it and made it so . Clinical trial reinforce the power of Placebo. Snake oil wins because people want it to. The truth may set you free but does not guarantee happiness. Has anyone compared Bybee to other .025 ohm 25 watt resistors like any current sensing ones ?

Status
Not open for further replies.