John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there more learned ones present who can suggest more suitable test signals and/or test methodologies, and/or more suitable PC based test equipment ?.

Yes, before you go crazy trying to do exotic measurements, eliminate the simplest and most likely causes. See if you can hear these effects in a double bind test, ears-only. If you can, then start digging in. If you can't, you've just saved yourself a mountain of effort and grief.

Yes, before you go crazy trying to do exotic measurements, eliminate the simplest and most likely causes. See if you can hear these effects in a double bind test, ears-only. If you can, then start digging in. If you can't, you've just saved yourself a mountain of effort and grief.
Thank you Stuart, I am way beyond your suggestions, else wise I would not bother to pose the questions......Next.

Dan.

Bogan Audiophiles...

Can you give some details on what you clamped, what devices were used, and how you set up the double blind test to confirm actual audibility?
In one instance, 240V power supply cable of cheap Teac shelf system running in the garage whilst we were repairing a vintage/classic Aussie Ford car.
I fitted the ferrite filter when nobody was looking and two in the garage asked what had I done to the sound....that's a perfectly valid blind test in my understanding.
rf-stopper-ferrite-filter-rfi-digital-noise-av-sold-sollehah-0907-18-sollehah@14.jpg

Dan.

Any More Objections, Mr KNOW IT ALL...And That Without Having Been There...

Not so much, no. But thanks for providing the info.
Two people noted a difference in the sound of the system, enough change to cause them to enquire.
I was at the bench and ostensibly searching drawers for tools when I surreptitiously made the change to the audio system.
That makes it A BLIND TEST.

Dan.

Last edited:
These Were NOT Audiophiles...

No, it doesn't; describe what you did to anyone with an elementary knowledge of conjuring and you'll get a lecture on why it isn't. But at least you've been kind and honest enough to answer the basic question (many people won't) and for that I thank you.
Ok, while I was at the tool drawers searching for a particular tool, I asked to replay a particular favorite track that had played a few minutes earlier.
The subjective difference was enough to cause them to ask what I had done to 'stuff up' their sound system.
They DID NOT KNOW THAT I HAD ADDED THE FERRITE FILTER, GET IT NOW ??.

Dan.

Max, you can't win. They will always keep increasing the test conditions, until you CAN'T hear any differences. I have seen it before, you know, starting from 1/3 century ago, where Dr. Lipshitz dismissed my careful comparisons between a 5534 and a discrete circuit, back in 1979. Or the results of my blind listening test at Silver, in Japan, in 1978.
This is why I don't do 'double blind' testing to SY's challenge.

Actually, Jack and I almost went to talk to you in person. I fended it off. You have been very annoying over the decade, but Jack tends to ignore criticism like yours.
What he has had to respond to is when the original manufacturers of the purifier device get wind of a debate or try to find what the parts are actually made of.
It costs money to start a lawsuit, and Jack has not found it worthwhile in your case.

Max, you can't win.

Winning has nothing to do with it. The point is to get down to what's real and what's imaginary. That's when you "win," not when you get to a hoped-for answer. Not useful to you in the fashion business, neither now nor (apparently) in 1979, but I'm assuming that Max really wants to understand his issues, not grumble about 35 year old ego bruises.

Status
Not open for further replies.