John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Nigerian scammers would just love to get access to Bybee's customer mailing list I am sure.

Yeah, Bybee's devices improve "signal purity and transparency" according to his website. Yet they aren't used in any industries except one where fraud is rampant. Aerospace? Medical? T&M? Nope. BQPs sure would sell a lot better if DigiKey stocked them.

Edit: Well, I guess they do stock resistors of all kinds...

Last edited:
@ Chris: regarding the ESS stuff, i'll have to follow up with Owen for you. I had a look yesterday and couldnt find the reference. there are like 3 threads relating to the NTD1, it was at some point late last year, because periodically someone would come in and say why not just use passive IV.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Did you IEEE members (all ought to belong) get your Life Member newsletter this week? Good stuff.

I was 10 years old when Bardeen, Bratten and Shockley developed the first point contact transistor. And a few years later I had some Germanium point contact transistors to play with.
A few years ago, I threw out those and the early hobbiest transistor - the CK722. What's a BYbee device?

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
@ Chris: regarding the ESS stuff, i'll have to follow up with Owen for you. I had a look yesterday and couldnt find the reference. there are like 3 threads relating to the NTD1, it was at some point late last year, because periodically someone would come in and say why not just use passive IV.

OTOH, why not use a Bybee device? It's not a resistor...

Thanks,
Chris

hard to solder at the nano scale yes ;)

but I think more and more, we may be able to get stuff fabricated to order in short runs. this technology wont do away with passives altogether, so soldering devices wont go away; but you can imagine the high power devices you will be able to produce without increasing parasitics so much every time you parallel a device. for example for a high power transistor, you might have hundreds or thousands of these in parallel on a die.

Unfortunately, it's very easy in Great Britain. Unlike the US, truth is not a defense.

Dude, barristers and judges wear powdered wigs overthere.
Even locals themselves, ridicule their isolated island culture from the middle-ages.
Aka, no-one with an active brain cell takes anything from the UK serious.

Nowadays, they flog off their heritage by offering 12-month holiday packages, with a complementary posh degree.
My brother in law just bought his daughter a masters in communications from Cambridge.
(worth Jack Bybee here, but who cares, not like she will ever have to earn her own candles)

Steve Eddy see posts
this thread.
Originally quoted Fas42
What's difficult in all this is that some things make dramatic differences in waveform shape, such that programs like DiffMaker are struggling or are completely useless in providing meaningful information - a somewhat 'extreme' version is having multiple digitised copies of a particular LP, using a very high quality TT - the wow factor alone is beyond the capabilities of the program to deal with. Yet, people listening will state that the playbacks are essentially identical ...

And on the other hand seemingly identical waveforms, nulling to very high levels, are still, by ear, distinctly different. Then it comes down in part whether the listener feels that one version is 'superior', in a way that is definitely relevant in a long term sense. And therefore, whether the tweak that caused that difference is of significant value ...
That's your mind messing with perception, it is what it does, that's why I don't trust mine without some form of backup, ie measurements, thtas part of the problem of living in reality.

Dude, barristers and judges wear powdered wigs overthere.
Even locals themselves, ridicule their isolated island culture from the middle-ages.
Aka, no-one with an active brain cell takes anything from the UK serious.
Cheers for that Jacco, makes me feel so good to live in the UK:D
Personally I wish we would embrace Europe more...
As to being sued, 7 kids later and there is not a lot left, though if I ever meet Mr Bybee, I'll treat him to a litre of petrol for his Bentley.:p

embrace Europe

Marce,

sorry about that, there are a great many talented folks originating from GB, and I do enjoy many parts of the UK and it's culture.

Part of the judicial system here is totally bonkers as well, despite having had the luxury of formal training in general and civil law, I've funded various Bentley accessories over the years.
In my experience, the majority of attorneys/barristers have the intellect of a highly overpaid secretary (who flunked math 101).

(just finished my two year probation period for battery a number of weeks ago, more the type to stab the Bentley driver than decanting petrol handouts. Though for lawyer Continentals, I'd gladly make time for a thorough Vic Vega session in the garage :clown:)

Last edited:
I Can Hear It, But I Haven't Reliably Measured It...Yet.

Quote:
Originally quoted Fas42
What's difficult in all this is that some things make dramatic differences in waveform shape, such that programs like DiffMaker are struggling or are completely useless in providing meaningful information - a somewhat 'extreme' version is having multiple digitised copies of a particular LP, using a very high quality TT - the wow factor alone is beyond the capabilities of the program to deal with. Yet, people listening will state that the playbacks are essentially identical ...

And on the other hand seemingly identical waveforms, nulling to very high levels, are still, by ear, distinctly different. Then it comes down in part whether the listener feels that one version is 'superior', in a way that is definitely relevant in a long term sense. And therefore, whether the tweak that caused that difference is of significant value ...

That's your mind messing with perception, it is what it does, that's why I don't trust mine without some form of backup, ie measurements, thtas part of the problem of living in reality.

For one example I have experimented with detachable standard ferrite clamp on filters as typically fitted around power and/or signal cables.
Manufacturer supplied performance graphs suggest that they should have little or no effect at audio frequencies, however subjectively I find that they do effect the sound of typical mid-fi equipent, and to my ear (and others) the subjective change is not pleasing, causing a subtle hardness/glaring in the highs, mids and lows.
Diffmaker does not differntiate anything really concrete, and ARTA does not show any real FR change when using 48k/24bit outboard soundcard (Edirol UA-25EX) as the send and return recording device when testing using single frequency THD or swept tones FR measurements.
Perhaps this testing equipment is insufficient in frequency and/or magnitude resolution to measure what can be subtly heard on a typical consumer audio system.

Are there more learned ones present who can suggest more suitable test signals and/or test methodologies, and/or more suitable PC based test equipment ?.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.