Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 11:09 PM   #20361
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
OK, I thoroughly don't get your point.
__________________
"You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is."
 
Old 4th February 2012, 11:20 PM   #20362
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: near Stuttgart, south Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
You are taking about 3 *identical* devices in series. Identical devices wasn't mentioned in the post I replied to. When talking about LEDs as reference voltage, possibly different LEDs have different noise and possibly a certain LED of higher voltage may have lower noise than another certain LED of lower voltage.
No, he wasn't. He was talking about a *4 voltage gain that happens when the
feedback resistor ratio is 3:1 in a non-inverting amplifier.

With regard to LEDs, red ones usually are the best (noise voltage normalized to Vf) and
blue ones are the worst. Red ones have lower Vf than blue ones.

Disclaimer: I have not yet tested infrared etc.

regards, Gerhard
__________________
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" "We don't demand solid facts! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"
 
Old 4th February 2012, 11:35 PM   #20363
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: near Stuttgart, south Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Gerhard, you have NO idea of what I have to do to make a quiet power supply, THAT ALSO sounds good.
That retreat to your personal taste does not come unexpectedly.



best regards, Gerhard

The Silence Of The Amps, what could one desire more?

.
__________________
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" "We don't demand solid facts! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"
 
Old 4th February 2012, 11:45 PM   #20364
Juergen Knoop is offline Juergen Knoop  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Juergen Knoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Gerhard, you have NO idea of what I have to do to make a quiet power supply, THAT ALSO sounds good.
well, thank you John! Now you're talking business. I don't believe in this 'low noise super regulator' nonsense as well.
Please elaborate on line rejection, load rejection, stability requirements etc..
I would love to read your opinions and insights!
regards
 
Old 4th February 2012, 11:49 PM   #20365
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: near Stuttgart, south Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
That's the input-referred noise voltage density spec. Will that be your output noise?

I would assume that you'd double the input current noise density as well, which will make the reference slightly trickier.
For high enough loop gain, that will be the output noise (assuming the ref is clean).
The input error is regulated to zero.
And the noise of a power transistor in the loop will be killed, too.


best regards, Gerhard
__________________
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" "We don't demand solid facts! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"
 
Old 5th February 2012, 12:28 AM   #20366
Joshua_G is offline Joshua_G  Israel
diyAudio Member
 
Joshua_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Small village, Israel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
OK, I thoroughly don't get your point.
So be it.
 
Old 5th February 2012, 12:34 AM   #20367
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member
 
Wavebourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
OK, I thoroughly don't get your point.
Wait a bit SY, he means some classified devices, but we'll get him soon!
__________________
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
 
Old 5th February 2012, 12:34 AM   #20368
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Europe
A quiet reference is easy to make with a noisy Zener (you don't need ppm drift performance for audio). Just filter it with an RC. 10k and a 100uF or values that give a low cutoff frequency. Then buffer and off you go. So what's all the fuss about?

Last edited by Bonsai; 5th February 2012 at 12:37 AM.
 
Old 5th February 2012, 12:41 AM   #20369
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
abraxalito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
You are taking about 3 *identical* devices in series.
No, if you read what I wrote you'll see I was talking about 4 identical devices in series.

Quote:
Identical devices wasn't mentioned in the post I replied to.
And indeed its not absolutely essential for the point. But its fairly poor engineering practice to put a high noise device in series with a low noise one. If you care about noise you won't **** away the advantages of the lower noise (read expensive) device by combining it with a higher noise one. OTOH TL431s are dirt-cheap so if you don't care about noise so much you've got yourself a very cost-effective reference.

Quote:
When talking about LEDs as reference voltage, possibly different LEDs have different noise and possibly a certain LED of higher voltage may have lower noise than another certain LED of lower voltage.
Yes, agreed. Orthogonal to the original point.

@gerhard : Red LEDs also had the lowest dynamic impedance, when I tested.
__________________
'The total potential here must be nothing less than astronomical.'
'Nothing less. The number 10 raised almost literally to the power of infinity.'

Last edited by abraxalito; 5th February 2012 at 12:44 AM.
 
Old 5th February 2012, 12:54 AM   #20370
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member
 
Wavebourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
A quiet reference is easy to make with a noisy Zener (you don't need ppm drift performance for audio). Just filter it with an RC. 10k and a 100uF or values that give a low cutoff frequency. Then buffer and off you go. So what's all the fuss about?
I guess, the fuss is about secret knowledge of filtering and buffered discovered by some genius back in 1050'th. "Learn and grow!" (C)
__________________
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
 

Closed Thread


John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki