John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessary, it can be the motor as well as the driving wheels.

:eek:

(OT, sorry diyA)

yes it appears you are. RPM does not have a relation to the power applied to the wheels here, its not linked/limited mechanically by the rate the fuel burn is able to be clocked out, the RPM in this type of EV is a reaction to the power applied VS time/friction/weight, not tied to RPM.

RNMarsh said:
Just type in 'cars with 1000 horsepower' and you'll get pages and pages of them.... street cars mostly. My ZR1 still runs like a stocker. Speaking of torque at zero. My little lite weight car produces >400 pound/ft at just off IDLE ! 6 bolts on each main bearing etc makes this engine easily ready for a lot more power and still be reliable. And, it gets good mileage! Too bad it has to cost so much. Tires go to the cord in 10-12K miles and they aint cheap. I only have 11K miles on it... that is a lot for a fast car. Guess i should sell it to another crazy over the top car nut and just keep the Caddy (same engine).

-RNM

thats quite different Richard and erm, of course it produces more power, it burns more fuel, has an engine that is probably around 50-100x the volume of the soccer-ball size in the S and this is only the beginning.

its really funny that a trillion dollar economy with over 100 years development and with only the first trickles of E cars becoming available; against massive resistance from a world hopelessly addicted to oil; is somehow framed as a mark of combustion being a superior technology? i'm afraid for me, it looks like EV can have MUCH more potential as battery tech gets lighter. not just greener, better.. and then we can all enjoy electric cars with ridiculously excessive power vs what they can get to the ground too!

It doesn't really matter, even top ICE cars are traction limited from a standstill. There is no production EV that comes remotely close in overall performance to Ferrari 458, Nissan GT-R, Porsche GT2/GT3 RS, etc.

Sorry for continuing the derailment...

and that means? is there any wonder when people have false preconceptions of the potential, based on no significant effort and no significant investment vs ICE. there is as yet not the market/demand for them, is there any wonder they dont exist yet? its clearly possible to make them, prototypes have been made that match those.

another excellent thing for flat out performance is that you are much more free to choose the shape for aerodynamics and the centre of gravity can be much lower. everything else can be the same and has nothing to do with the power train, there is no need for a transmission, suspension can be the same, traction control can be the same (but with different algorithms) etc etc.

I really dont get the resistance, its completely baffling to me

Last edited:
simplified Curl scratch build

but lets leave it, dont reply to the above if we want to go back on topic, whatever that is, this thread has always been a meandering topic that discusses high performance and/or groundbreaking technology, or just interesting anything, with breaks to talk about audio, hardly ever the BT. dont complain about me continuing the conversation when i'm simply replying to replies to me.

on the audio

on that note though, has anyone actually built something for themselves based on the recent schematics John kindly posted? i've started sorting J310/K246 fets for it and looking for a few subs. not to build the whole thing, just playing with the simplified line amp, with lower gain. perhaps i'm make it into a headphone amp

Last edited:
Chris (hochopeper), yes I suppose current = torque as far as analogy and the RPM is the rate and frequency of the DC->AC invertor. its hard to make direct comparisons between the 2 using the same language and I probably screwed that up. i'm not a revhead really. anyway i'm happy to drop it and interested in answers to my post above. I havent seen much recent conversation about that schematic, or read of anyone trying to do something with it.

Last edited:
'Nobody does anything'. So it's not always a matter of money only.

Try $0.45/kWh for +80F/+70% RH at night, I've only come across 2 insulated (definitely not insolated) homes.
( http://aqualectra.com/images/stories/tariffs_valid_as_of_june_1st_2013.pdf )

Trends can start before the money, or lagging way behind.
Sorta like the current stampede of amp case works machined from solid billet, status fashion, not primarily technology driven.
Audio is the haute couture clothing of the electronics world. (likely another reason for it to be so addictive)

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hadn't. thanks. But it doesn't detail the efficiency increase for the solar cells, just the antireflection properties. It'd be great if there were some numbers for cells coated to give an idea of ROI.

jn

jn
From the good paper that jacco linked to
the efficiency increase seems to be a min of ~ 10% (page 2 first column and fig 5)

For single users, low tech panels is the inevidable solution (low initial cost).
For communities, electricity + hot water supply, may justify high tech solutions
e.g. Zenith Solar
Z20 (2009 prices)~15000$
4.5kWp electrical, 11kW thermal
21% electrical, 50% thermal efficiency
3 Junction GaAs solar cells

As Scott said, cleaning panel/mirrors is key in maintaining good efficiency

Technology is running fast, turning a yesterday's high tech product into a lesser one within a year. This is not a good environment for mass production investment.
Hot solar cells are the cool way to water and power - tech - 14 April 2011 - New Scientist

George

JNeutron,
My last electrical motor question. Can't you still have torque multiplication with a gear reduction system? I know it seems silly in a car but couldn't a smaller motor use a gear reduction system to multiply the torque rating?
Yes.

The tradeoff is velocity. The faster a motor spins, the higher the voltage required.

I remember reading decades back that a typical car required 12 HP to cruise at 55 mph, so all this talk of fractions of a megawatt electric motors just to accelerate quicker to 55 or 65 seems pretty "non green" to me. The resources required to make such devices is very significant with respect to iron, rare earths, copper, silicon, and energy.

Certainly not my cup of tea. But such engineering will indeed provide new knowledge for making better motors and drives.

I'd love to see electric motor drag racing competitions, that would be so cool, and strangely quiet..

jn

JNeutron,
My last electrical motor question. Can't you still have torque multiplication with a gear reduction system? I know it seems silly in a car but couldn't a smaller motor use a gear reduction system to multiply the torque rating?

you need to run a gear reduction system with these things really, the high RPM and torque isnt very manageable/drivable without it. the S aint no shopping cart at 400BHP/420NM, most of them ive seen are fixed ratio

jneutron: they started with the higher performance and sports salloon cars deliberately, to try and break the misconception that EV are only for tree hugger shopping carts, then of course they get ohh its not very green, or ohh its pretty expensive etc etc. you cant win, especially on the internet.

they will release an SUV shortly, the Model X using the exact same platform with lower price, less battery etc (another advantage, just slap a different shell on, since its pretty much void of mechanics) then they'll roll out the more mass market lower power model once theyve expanded the production to cope and proven the business model. remember these guys are only 2 years old and make everything that goes in it, they arent leveraging a pre-existing production line built for ICE cars, but built from scratch for pure EV production. they literally went from rolling out the first few on the line, to automated production of 100 pieces a day in a matter of days. its a really impressive factory, there is some interesting footage on the megafactories special of them 'teaching' the robots

I reckon they'll sell quite a few to the EU, where speed limit isnt quite the same barrier

i've seen some electric drifting comps too haha which looks and sounds very strange. resources with iron and most other metals will be much reduced, motor is tiny, no transmission to service/break down/replace, no fuel tank etc.

Last edited:
I just posted these elsewhere. They are measurements using the method I showed a bit back of the noise contamination through a steel vs. aluminum chassis.

Attachments

• LP-24-1000.JPG
    LP-24-1000.JPG
    542.1 KB · Views: 194
  • LP-24-1000 Aluminum Chassis.JPG
    LP-24-1000 Aluminum Chassis.JPG
    526.2 KB · Views: 200
Demian, Dick, John, Pavel, Scott,

I almost forgot I am finishing up my article on power supplies and doing the graphics. I need to measure the noise from different batteries. I have suitable low noise preamps, but the question is how to show the noise? Scope traces, FFT, or chart with true RMS by ISO filter frequencies?

ES

thanks a lot for that Ed! much appreciated on both counts; i'm sure there are lots here that will be interested in this comparison. I think as long as you show the same loading conditions and the same type of measurement between AC and batteries its fine by me. but I guess its a matter of what will show it best, wouldnt anything but FFT be somewhat limited by the front end, even with your gear?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes.

Certainly not my cup of tea. But such engineering will indeed provide new knowledge for making better motors and drives.

I'd love to see electric motor drag racing competitions, that would be so cool, and strangely quiet..

jn

I 'll buy an all electric car when they can go far enough out of town and can be charged fast and I can charge them up everywhere I want to go. Right now the range limits them to a few uses... around town is fine. And, that is where the polution is concentrated... in the city short range driving.

Pollution: Obtaining and disposing of the materials that are used in the making of batteries for cars is a major resource and polution issue and questionable as to their continued availablity at low cost.

-RNM

Status
Not open for further replies.