Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yeah, but I was thinking more along the lines of SY's comment, "Second Law."

se

Just add a bit of liquid oxygen and a dash of boron and then light up :D

Yes the energy density of hydrogen is lower, but at the point of combustion, I guess it's non polluting.

The answer has to be fuel cells. And yes, the IC has had >100 years of development. FC's have not, so we can't discount them as a viable future solution.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's a model-S parked at half a mile from my home. Pretty looking thing, would love a spin.
An all-electric appears attractive for non-huggers with cars at different tree locations.

(Elon Musk es vir ons 'n Fritz Deelman van die nuwe termyn)

I wasn't very familiar with the Tesla but recently had a ride in one owned by Greg Timbers at JBL. I was very impressed with fit and finish plus that acceleration is lots of fun. :D

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A decade ago there was the "tzero" by AC Propulsion, not the lead acid version but one powered by nearly 7000 laptop li-ion cells. Cheaper at the time than the nickel hydrides Toyota were using.

0-60mph came in at 3.6s and it could go 250 miles at 75-80 and over 300 miles in any official test.

I wouldnt trust the old type li-ion for a car, awesome power density, but too dangerous IMO. the li poly arent as dense and with metal casing like used in the model S, much heavier, but more tolerant of over/under charge conditions, better cycle life and excellent power delivery.

Give me a nice open highway and no speed limits and I would cruise at 170mph in the right car. Did 120 across Utah with my wife and daughter in the car and they never even thought about it. Was just cruising along with no fears at all.

sure, but the thing does 150 anyway; 412BHP afaik and the acceleration is brutal, I reckon it would more than make up for lacking 20MPH top speed. besides i'm pretty sure it wont be long before they supply EV with pointlessly high top speed as well ;) the reality is, most of the world has speed limits, so getting to the top legal speed as fast as possible becomes more important as far as a driving buzz goes IMHO

Work on better catalysts progresses.

Supercaps?

How many understand the chemistry of solar cell fabrication..It isn't very green yet, nor is 13 to 15% conversion very efficient.

jn

There is a lot going on in using more of the spectrum, pesky physics and bandgaps. Of course the exotic structures cost more but, the theoretical max is a pretty nice number (forgot it).

The largest proponent of the SC cars made claims that are hard to believe, like 5 min charging (1200A anyone) and my favorite a crowbar jammed through a fully charged one does nothing spectacular.

AudioLapDance,
The answer to that question would be a yes or I wouldn't have put my family at risk of a blown tire at that speed. I still remember the days before speed rated tires and that was always a consideration at high speed, especially at sustained high speeds.

Scott,
I didn't know a lot about the processing of the solar media back when I worked with Arco Solar but it was very much like a wafer fab facility and I probably didn't want to know about some of the chemistry being used. I do remember a friend at the time had a very small fab facility a few doors down in my complex where he was working on Gallium chips and this was about 1985 to 1990. Isn't chemistry fun when it is safe! I processed tons of isocyanates so I had my share of chemical that needed to be respected if you wanted to live a long life.

Worrying about the n'th degree of efficiency is irrelevant, what counts is that the energy is coming from renewable resources - last time I checked the sun's gonna last a few billion years, with a bit o' luck. Once the infrastructure's in place everyone can settle down, stop worrying about nasty stuff having to be dealt with on an ongoing basis, and get on with more interesting things ...

34% for single junction. Currently at 25% in the lab and 19-20% in production.

87% for a theoretical infinite multi junction cell. 44% in the lab today, none in production.

That looks right (I remember something near 90%), just taking this to practicality is the problem. High quality Kyocera panels from a decade ago get 14-15%, 19-20% now is hardly Moore's law.

Air conditioning is the killer, providing conditioned air with solar alone is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.