John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's ok. When I was a young buck, I read Walt Jung's Audio magazine article on how to swap op amps and caps to get improved sound from my Philips/Magnavox CD Player. I ordered the parts from Digi-Key and when they arrived, went on a 14 hour session of de-soldering and soldering. I didn't even stop to eat and was pretty woozy at the end. :D But boy, I was very proud of the result!

LOL I have similar experiences. Even sleeping under the bench, because I was too whacked to drive home, no kidding. :)

Fathers' Pride....

That's ok. When I was a young buck, I read Walt Jung's Audio magazine article on how to swap op amps and caps to get improved sound from my Philips/Magnavox CD Player. I ordered the parts from Digi-Key and when they arrived, went on a 14 hour session of de-soldering and soldering. I didn't even stop to eat and was pretty woozy at the end. :D But boy, I was very proud of the result!
Way back when (still at school) my part time job paid for components (I also reused components from scrap from the local tv/radio repair shop), blank pcb, Dalo etch resist pen and ferric chloride.
Out of my imagination came a surface mount pcb (long before I had ever heard of them, much less seen one) amplifier incorporating LM380 chipamp.

By logical reasoning, it turns out that I did everything very correctly.... ground, supply and signal routing wise long before I had read anything more than an app note in a National Semiconductor Applications Handbook in my school library.
A whopping 2.5W per channel :eek:, but a whole lot better sounding than the output amplifiers in the Sanyo radiogram that I used as a source, and I even back then I experimented with supply caps and output caps and differentiated sonic changes.

Next was a magazine kit amp using balanced output car amplifier ics....of course that got tweaked, and ended up being an especially good amp.

After that came 'proper' ETI480 amplifiers fitted into a written off Nikko TRM-750 amplifier that did a million parties (with fan cooling).
All sorts of tweaking experiments yielded a really good integrated amp that everybody enjoyed and of course I got to enjoy it myself between parties ;).....I was proud of the result also...

That all turned into a career in audio electronics repairs, and that has given me great opportunity to audition and build a vast memory library of all manner and forms of audio gear.
Like JC and many others contributing here, this long term (sighted) auditioning becomes very valuable experience.

More later..

Dan.

maxed out

Depends, a friend is in the top class of R/C helicopter competition.
A 3.5'' size costs about $70k to build at home, with NDA signature for the software.

But he's currently co-developing a full-size 2-seater (in-line) with some folks abroad, targetted at a market retail of the same level.
(plus a servo self-balanced walking cane on his own, as a Segway or that Japanese airport luggage 2-wheeler, but tilted backwards instead)

The High-Tech of H1, I fail to see, ancient Lycoming gasturbines.

Last edited:
Frivolous Boys Toys....???

The High-End of boat racing. Unlimited performance level. The fastest in the world. At what ever cost to get there. The best that can be made. A level far, far above ordinary bragging rights.

If you are going to do something, do the best you can.

-RNm

Greenhouse effect...what greenhouse effect ?....stupendous amounts of fossil fuel expended and to what effect....excepting egos ???.

Dan.

Scitech...Perth.

....a Segway or that Japanese airport luggage 2-wheeler, but tilted backwards instead)
A few of us put heads together and created these...Arduino, Dc motors, drill battery packs and some welding/fabricating.
segway - 01.jpg
segway - 02.jpg

Dan.

Max,
I guess someone could make the same argument for all the resources and energy needed to produce all of our electronic components and the power used to drive a class A tube amplifier that is left on all the time so it is up to temp when you want to listen.

I would think that we use more gasoline in one minute with just all the cars sitting idling at traffic lights here in Los Angeles than is used in all the hydroplane racing in a year in the United States. Perhaps you are just putting out a challenge to power these boats with electric motors and solar power. That sounds like a boat anchor but who knows?

Sorry JC, Perhaps This Should Move To The Pub...

Been around this culture too many times before, your criticisms will only get you accused of envy.

Haha.
I was asking a serious question actually....are there developments here that flow on to better energy efficiency for the standard motorist.
Consider the number of cars in the world, and then the number of scooter/motor cycles, particularly throughout Asia.

Dan.

Phys Ed....Old School....

Max,
I guess someone could make the same argument for all the resources and energy needed to produce all of our electronic components and the power used to drive a class A tube amplifier that is left on all the time so it is up to temp when you want to listen.
What is the energy equation for the lifetime of silicon solar cells ?.
Big class A 24 hours....energy extravagance.
In Aus, outback station Correspondece School Of The Air depended on pedal powered transceivers :eek:
SOTA - 01.jpg

Dan.

Max,
That is a real question about the actual power consumption needed to convert the raw materials to finished solar cells? The power output today is so much better than it was when I worked with Arco Solar on panel development. But it is still an issue of the lifespan of some of these solar panels and how much energy is used to produce them. If I was a benevolent dictator I would demand that any new home built would require solar panels to be installed and any re-roofing would also require the installation of solar panels. But nobody made me leader so I can only hope that someday people open up their eyes to the energy savings over the life of a home if you didn't have to pay the power company to burn coal and make power so we can plug in our electric cars with there batteries that I would like to know what they are going to do with in 10 years time?

Haha.
I was asking a serious question actually....are there developments here that flow on to better energy efficiency for the standard motorist.
Consider the number of cars in the world, and then the number of scooter/motor cycles, particularly throughout Asia.

Dan.

I doubt if that is a priority, chipping and removal of catalytic converters still goes on.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Some of you are pretending to not know what it takes to try to be the best in what ever your chosen endevor is; Side stepping that issue by side issues and side affects and One Upmanship.

Whether sports, art, wine making, audio, H1 or sex. Do the best you can so you can be proud of your own effort and achievment and learn somethings along the way that you can teach others so they can grow to the next level above what you did.

Isn't that why we are here on this particular forum?

Thx RNMarsh

Last edited:
Thanks for that comment Richard. It really is a gift what some of you share here on this site. I assume that so much of what you have worked on over your lifetime at LL labs has had to be kept a secret. I imagine you and a few others here know so much more than what you are allowed to speak of. But what you and others share is a treasure to those who appreciate it. I have always been involved in the car field in one aspect or another and I do think that there are instances where what was developed for racing has ended up somewhere on a production car in some manner. Would we still be driving around in boats if road racing hadn't been around to develop advanced suspension modification? All the work that was done on cylinder head development to increase horsepower in cars has surely contributed to cleaner burning and more powerful engines with decreasing engine size. Who knows what hydrodynamics will be developed and transferred to other types of boats from all that racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.