John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I have virtually no use for that excess of dedicated hardware anymore, compared with the free software and good 24/192 IO devices now available the lack of flexibility of these things is just too frustrating.

If all you want to do is find out if your gizmo is linear or not and an approximation to how linear it is.... any one of them would be fine. BUT thats not my primary reason to have several of them. And, I learned they dont all give the same level of accuracy in seperating and measuring individual harmonic levels at low distortion levels and some of the why.

Since i dont have a commercial product to test against a spec, I just do it for the intellectual fun of it to see what I can learn.
Same with getting a lot of specialize ac power test equipment together just to see what might be on the ac power lines, type of noise, where it comes from and solutions... and did it affect the sound? I learned a lot which i am happy to share. I've been doing this way since I was a kid... then working at LLNL was more of the same. Read, test, measure, explore. Heaven on earth for me.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
FLAC and .wav of same file what other choice is there? Wav is uncompressed and FLAC is losslessly compressed same data. Entropy of music allows ~3X or so lossless compression.

I am just wondering what will happen if you feed your noise signal into the measurement set up, going through an inverting stage and leveling the two signals before subtracting them. If there are any delays in the sampling time (phase delta) between the two channels, I would expect that would cause a problem, especially at HF.

I am just wondering what will happen if you feed your noise signal into the measurement set up, going through an inverting stage and leveling the two signals before subtracting them. If there are any delays in the sampling time (phase delta) between the two channels, I would expect that would cause a problem, especially at HF.
Feeding the two signals into a good balanced line input ought to discriminate the differences easily.

Dan.

Demian, Ed, Richard -

have you tried susceptibility of audio amplifiers to AM modulated or FM modulated high frequency carrier, with Hewlett-Packard AM/FM modulation generator or similar instrumentation.

Thanks for your replies to my question. I would like to show simulated results of AM modulated input to 3 very different power amplifier topologies.

1 is All Mosfet, no global feedback, complementary-differential input amplifier with balanced output.

2 is complementary-differential JFET input amplifier with BJT output, single-ended.

3 is a very traditional, All-BJT design with simple differential input and single-ended output.

Input signal was a 1MHz carrier AM modulated at 90% by 10kHz. 1Vpeak amplitude for amplifiers 1 and 2, reduced to 500mVpeak for amplifier 3. Results are attached. For input amplitude reduced to 100mV, the order of influence of AM modulated input remains unchanged, amplifier 1 is best and 3 is worst. Images from left to right: Amplifier 3, amplifier 2, amplifier 1.

Attachments

• 3_AM.PNG
    3_AM.PNG
    96.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 2_AM_mod_1M_s.PNG
    2_AM_mod_1M_s.PNG
    114.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 1_AM_mod_1M_s.PNG
    1_AM_mod_1M_s.PNG
    115.3 KB · Views: 281
Just got back from H1 races. Unlimited Hydroplane class boat races. Awsome!
High tech, attention to details and nothing but pure all out performance.
Average - typical - good enough - good value for the money - need not apply.

But with no other practical purpose than to skim a boat over a body of water at high speed. At least audio equipment delivers music. :D

Was the lake decently calm today?

se

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I get my adrenaline rush soldering a PCB. I am a nerd.

That's ok. When I was a young buck, I read Walt Jung's Audio magazine article on how to swap op amps and caps to get improved sound from my Philips/Magnavox CD Player. I ordered the parts from Digi-Key and when they arrived, went on a 14 hour session of de-soldering and soldering. I didn't even stop to eat and was pretty woozy at the end. :D But boy, I was very proud of the result!

Status
Not open for further replies.