John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice a lot of people want to put 'thier two cents in'.
Here's what I can not figure out --- If it is only a "penny for your thought", where is that extra penny going to?

-RNM

The penny is not even copper anymore, why do we waste time with these kooks over and over? The lifters are BS plain and simple debunked from every angle. Some folks even invested serious time just to put this crap to rest.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
2 cool

it.jpg

who is on first ... ?
No. Who is on second.
If Who is on second, then Who is on first?

Last edited:
In terms of household noises, some things can be very surprising. Take a household smoke alarm - I don't know how this compares with units in other countries - it's rated at "only" 85dBA, but you wouldn't say that when you hear it! Powered by a trivial battery, zero speaker, it regularly takes off when the toast is overdone, and the sound is absolutely piercing, bites into your eardrums like no high end speaker systems driven by enormous power amps ever seem to be able to do.

So, what's going on here ...?

Here it is specified as a minimum of 85dBA @ 3 Meter
that's what's going on.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Something missing from the diagram is capacitance - all along the cable. The battery will also have some capacitance. Capacitance to what? Ground, or the rest of the universe. Capacitors are strange, because they can have just one terminal.

A thought experiment must be physically complete and consistent. Apparent anomalies often arise from forgetting this. So treat the wires as though they are the inner of a coaxial cable, with ground/universe as the outer. Then it becomes a transmission line problem, which can be solved using standard techniques.

Bear in mind that the battery has two terminals so a current will flow in both of them when the switch is closed.

Thanks Dave. That's something I would have to ponder over. So the devil really is in the detail.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Seems that one needs to see things differently than us linear thinkers --- These notables all had a "learning disorder" called Dyslexia:

Al. Einstein
I. Newton
N.tesla
B.Franklin
Galileo
H.Ford
W. Von Braun
Pablo Picasso
Steven Spielberg
A.G. Bell
T.Edison
J.maxwell
M.faraday
H.C.Andersen
and a host of celebs, too.

Thinking outside the box comes naturally for some.

May you have a Learning Disorder.

-RNM

Last edited:
One wonders how well Heaviside would have been received on this board.

Well there's at least one person on diyaudio who would give Heaviside a rather "warm" reception. During an antenna discussion he blasted Heaviside, claiming that when he converted Maxwell's many quaternion equations into the four "Maxwell's Equations" that we all know and love, he left out a bunch of vector cross-product terms, possibly because he felt that they were insignificant. The guy claimed that they were not always insignificant and therefore, much of what has been done is not quite correct, and some is quite incorrect.

This intrigued me enough that I purchased books containing all of Maxwell's original manuscripts. But I haven't yet taken the time to check his story. He did seem to have a very high level of electromagnetics knowledge.

Last edited:
So far the Pierce follower are to occupied with boot polishing to comment. As for dyslexia as we say at the airport 7 out of five pilots have it but only 9 out of seven ground crew. The one you listed had an ability to focus on what interested them far beyond linear thinkers . A small problem (dyslexia) that has to some extent followed me most of my life. Once your older at least in my case the brains slows do and matches the body speed better with hand eye ETC. I am willing to venture that none of them had great social skills . Since Steven Spielberg is the only one I meet I have little reference other then what was written about the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.