John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, whatever works. Charles Hansen sent me some wooden blocks several years ago. I thank him for the gift, and I put them under a number of things, but I did not get too far with trying them for sonic differences. That does NOT mean that Charles is nuts! In fact, PMA, I would listen to him, rather than you, when it comes to subjective success with such an artifact.
Stick to measurements, you are wonderful at that. Leave the subjective audio to Charles and me. '-)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
John:
I did not post the e-mail, just the link to the public web site. If jack's email said "I have no idea why this works but I hear a difference I like." it would be much more tolerable. The hype is ugly. I get paid to keep that stuff from going public since the lawsuits on the other side can be really expensive. Its also the stuff that makes this whole endeavor so questionable in the public's mind.

My point is how fragile a reputation can be. The Quantum purifiers may have a story (we don't know) but there is at least a basis for seeing one. Here the universal, fix everything, story really compromises anything that may work. It's on a par with cold fusion. The intro was so badly bungled that any reality behind it may never surface.

Its really sad that many high end audio consumers need magic so badly. Is the real world so unsatisfying?

When you have what you think is close to the 'very best' in audio, the next step is 'tweaks and mods'. Jack already has a CTC Blowtorch, a highly tweaked Vendetta Research phono preamp, his own specially built loudspeakers, and finally, the latest prototype of Mike's and my new super IC based power amp with tracking switching power supplies (Brunos).
I now own the original prototype of this amp and hope to add it into my own system, so that in the near future, I will have a CTC Blowtorch, Vendetta Research phono stage, and a 250W/ch amp that I can actually carry under my arm, driving my WATT's with even better sound quality than I am getting now.

I hope that this simplified schematic will better explain the JC-80 and the Para JC-2 topology.
What happens if we drop the 5 - 50r resistors and replace with single 100R resistor attached to the base of the two 1K resistors attached to the output. HAve we simplified the topology, but achieved same success? Would also consider replacing the BJT's with MOsfets.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Still, nobody seems to want to talk about the circuit topologies in both the Blowtorch and the Parasound products. Should I simplify it still further?

Mr. Curl
In case you keep an open mind on this (like some of your associates and may be some customers too), at the Euphoria Technology site, there is no explicit requirement for the best Hi-End audio equipment for to achieve audio nirvana. It is the strong effect of proton vibration alignment that swaps any other parameter, so spending your time in superb circuit topologies is a waste.
Unless, Blowtorch is immune to that effect thanks to it’s special enclosure:
One of the reasons that we created a non-ventilated almost seamless case for the Blowtorch was to keep not only dust out, but anything else that the air might carry.

George

Last edited:
I am really confused. I looked at the website and found the standard nonsense. What does Bybee or JC have to do with it?

I previously somewhere showed the slight decrease in HF attenuation when a small RF field was turned on. It ain't much and varied with humidity. I also suspect devices using such a field violate FCC rules.

So the claimed effect is possible (Probable is a different issue...) but I really doubt even if it is working it is significant for reproduction. Just tweak the HF boost 1/2 db at 15Khz.

When you have what you think is close to the 'very best' in audio, the next step is 'tweaks and mods'.
And that's because standard components, no matter how expensive or well engineered in themselves, will get the job done - unless you're very lucky! Just look at the situation with digital, it still has a very hard time convincing many audio people, like John, that it can perform. Just connecting a set of bits, each fully verified as being capable using standard measurements, usually guarantees very ordinary, non-involving sound; many objectivists will then point to the poor quality of the recordings, the need for optimising speaker capability, room acoustic treatments or multichannel sound enhancement as the solutions.

However, a number of people have achieved exceptional sound using other techniques, and some realise that "extreme" care with optimising the electronics is an excellent approach. This is a classic "everything matters" area, which means that silly, expensive stuff will have an effect, just as much as the correct, engineering solution. Obviously the latter is somewhat preferable, :), but the people with the right expertise, abilities and equipment need to take the necessity for further investigation seriously - this is the route for improvements in understanding ...

Here is the 'minimum' version for discussion at the moment:

Attachments

• 4Q-min.jpg
    4Q-min.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 236
Status
Not open for further replies.