John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Nah... that doesnt sound right. I dont recall saying it was my body temp.... just on one side the air temp/pressure is different from the other side of the body. The low pressure causes the air from the high press side to try to equalize.... air movement. But, hey, who am I to argue about such things? I cant even figure out what Im going to do tomorrow.

Thx-RNMarsh

no reason not to believe him? there was beer involved!:D worse than that, it was beer and really smart people:eek:

the fire's hot
air around and above it gets warm and rises
cool air rushes in to replace rising air
i obstruct the incoming flow
air at my back is compressed
air at my front is rarefied
this lower pressure allows air from elsewhere in circle to enter my low pressure zone - vortexes, like electroj says, mixes the smokey air into my space

which is why the pictures always show the cowboys squatting or sitting by the fire and not standing by it

the air doesnt sweep in from the whole 360. Its already there. the air temp diff betwen the front of the body and the cool back causes the draft to come towards you... the pressure drop on the cooler side draws the hotter air towards you.
Though I suppose there is some diff from the middle of the fire to your front side... the smoke would go straight up if your body wasnt there ... -->

I was with a group of guys about 100-150 miles north of LasVegas. In the middle of that Keep out under penalty of Death or worse... the No Fly zone seen on the maps. A few of us were around a fire someone built to keep warm in the evening; A beer party after or before our nuclear underground 'event' occured. All the instrumentation, installation and controls were completed. One of the nuclear physicists there explained it to me/us as I stood around and I and others kept getting smoke drawn to us when we approached the fire. he said... go over to the other side - the air isnt going that direction. Sure enough.. I go stand over there and soon the smoke would follow me and be in my eye/face. Then he told me why it happens. I have no reason not to believe him....so passing it along.

Thx-RNMarsh

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm sitting in a room with no remarable sources of heat and everything at an equilibrium. I have a very polished aluminum plate on the table with half painted flat black. My IR irradiance thermometer says both halfs are at the same temperature, what's going on?

Roughly, Emissivity + Reflectivity = 1

You want to maximize emissivity for to have correct IR temp. measurement. You have to minimize reflectivity to achieve this (shiny aluminum is very reflective).

If everything is really at a thermal equilibrium (walls included, easy in a mind experiment) and the plate is not facing any window opening or any other kind of distant IR source, this is what the IR meter should show.
If the plate faces any IR distant source, the IR temp indication will be appreciably different btn the black and shinny part.

If there is no distant IR source to cause reflection on the plate (this is difficult to achieve in reality. Even the body of a person standing still or moving, can spoil this) and you attach a heat source on the plate, IR temp measurement difference btn the black and shinny part will not be great .

I can’t even figure out what I’m going to do tomorrow.

Thx-RNMarsh
I don’t see a problem with this.
Or at least, I am in a worse state of mind.
I’ve been taking measurements with pencil and paper for three days now, 8 hours a day. Everyday it was more detailed. I’ve put them in a spreadsheet. Extracted some relationship between them. Drew various diagrams. The amount of information made me forget what I wanted to explore/verify. I should have put a heading on the spreadsheet :D.

George

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
IIRC the temperature on the surface of the sun is 5000k and about 60W per square CM.

Apologies. Looks like i dropped a few zeros somewhere.

The correct figure is 63.3 W per mm squared. The surface temperature I quoted is approximately correct.

63.3 MW per meter squared. That is some power density. Interestingly, the average mass density of the sun is 1.4 kg per liter.

:cool:

Last edited:
Richard, I'm not sure you're correct with your explanation.
When the hot air (and smoke) from the campfire rises it is replaced by the cold air from its surroundings (360 deg). When you stand near the fire facing it, your body is an obstruction, disrupting airflow, and vortex forms in front of you. This vortex begins to circulate and draws some of the smoke towards you. Something like that. I don't think it has anything to do with the body temperature.
(Google for "sea breeze" for some pictures)

I like your explanation better.

jn

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Intermission --

Intermission ---
many people here and watching have many talents that are not known to others..... would be nice to share what others do for fun besides electronics and music etc. But maybe thats for Facebook.

I am a wild deer whisperer. One learns to act and communicate in thier way and next thing you know, you are accepted as one of them.... because you talk thier language. For example they greet by touching noses.... so if you put out your nose, they will respond... assuming you can get that close in the first place. Did you know their noses are soft as marshmellows?

Deer whisperer.jpg

Anyone else with amazing feats or strange hobbies or rare developed skills?

-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Intermission ---
many people here and watching have many talents that are not known to others..... would be nice to share what others do for fun besides electronics and music etc. But maybe thats for Facebook.

I am a wild deer whisperer. One learns to act and communicate in thier way and next thing you know, you are accepted as one of them.... because you talk thier language. For example they greet by touching noses.... so if you put out your nose, they will respond... assuming you can get that close in the first place. Did you know their noses are soft as marshmellows?

View attachment 340966 Deer Whisperer2.jpg Deer Whisperer3.jpg

Anyone else with amazing feats or strange hobbies or rare developed skills and unusual talents?

-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
NTS? It could be a side effect of radiation exposure or many months in the middle of no-where-ville. I'd fly down to the desert at Mercury, NV on Monday and fly back home on friday.... many miles north of Mercury - when I opened the door to my mobile home, all I'd see is dirt and a tumble weed and some dust blow past me. Maybe I was alone too long.... like the effects of solitary confinement.

[actually, besides the sand and dirt, we had a lot of fun... a lot of interesting things are up there that no one gets to see or know about. And, how many people do you know who got to blow up a nuclear war head and get away with it?]

-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Richard, I like your deer greeting behavior. That, to me, is thinking outside the box. Heck Eskimos rubbed noses, why not the rest of us?
Once I leave this website, to look into the experiences of others, I find the same debates, and the same experiences. It is as if some of us 'experience' sonic differences, then we must be 'off our nut' because digital gives 'everything' that anyone could want, sonically.
Well, I disagree with that, at least for people, like me, who have worked with the highest quality analog reproduction for decades.
I find the divide between ob's and the subjv's comes from their basic conception of who we are, whether we are just fancy machines, or do we have a 'spiritual' component that drives our lives. I realize that human beings can be manipulated to make errors in perception. Just look at what magicians do! So what, being 'fooled' at at stage show, or in my opinion, a double blind listening test, does not mean we are crazy, when audio differences come back to us, once we are not being manipulated by some illusion or scheme. This is where I draw the line. I will go along with anything that works in audio reproduction, be it better components, more bits, or EVEN Bybee devices, and I will not be deterred by others, who are so sure that little that I contribute to audio is real, and just in the imagination of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.