Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2011, 02:25 AM   #18891
Wavebourn is online now Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post

BTW - That op-amp history also shows that Dick Burwen pioneered the use of inductors across input degeneration resistors, sort of the worst of both worlds in this sense. Not that that is my opinion.
Op-amp history reminds me history of Global Economy... Run for parameters that are far from real requirements. Like, eliminating assets to show better profit US companies lost future, the same with ICs for analog audio.
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.

Old 10th December 2011, 02:28 AM   #18892
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

Kind of like American cars, back in the '50's or '60's, Wavebourn? '-)

Old 10th December 2011, 03:35 AM   #18893
diyAudio Member

Dick Burwen's hybrid design for ADI is one of the most brilliant innovations I have ever seen. It was the BEGINNING of fully complementary push-pull, now used by Bob Cordell, me, and others. The added inductors were new! They reduced Gm at high frequencies, yet allowed LOW NOISE at working frequencies. Today, all they can use is resistors, which increases the input noise. The late, and competent, Deane Jensen did something similar with his trademark op amp design, that is still made today. Only the change to Toshiba quality input fets allowed the removal of the inductors and retaining the same performance.
In America, at the time, quality, not frugality, was regarded as most important. It may have been different in the URSS.

Old 10th December 2011, 05:56 AM   #18894
Wavebourn is online now Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

The latest innovations are modeling of analog processes in digital reality, John!

No need to deal with real stubborn electronics, just push the buttons on touch-screen and enjoy!
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.

Old 10th December 2011, 06:30 AM   #18895
diyAudio Member

I don't think that you understand what I am saying, Wavebourn. Of course, your experience during the 60's and 70's, when we were developing these circuit topologies would be very different.

Old 10th December 2011, 09:27 AM   #18896
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

A nice glimpse of the importance of measurements conditions and specifications to distinguish your product from others.
Also a nice example of why 'identical specs' can still sound different.
Of course, the piece is written to promote the company's product but still interesting to read, I feel.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discus...nce-Part-1.pdf

jan

Old 10th December 2011, 09:40 AM   #18897
Trevor White is offline Trevor White  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Yes, but degeneration does NOT have a 90 degree phase shift along with it!
so what if it has 90 degree phase shift !! It is still conditionally stable and the benefits of negative feedback still apply. The maths don't lie !!

regards
Trevor

Old 10th December 2011, 09:51 AM   #18898
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post

Measurements of my gear are published in Stereophile, HiFi Critic, HiFi News and others. Please peruse these.

Ciao T
I am very sorry but I did not find any trusted measurements in Stereophile, only this short article:

AMR CD-777 Player/Processor | Stereophile.com

Would you mind posting a link to John Atkinson's measurements?

Old 10th December 2011, 11:08 AM   #18899
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
That is irrelevant as Dick's ADI module was not made for audio. Later, he used an IC with a 100 Hz open loop bandwidth.
Dick wrote this (from his website)...

"The op amps Dick designed for his own hi-fi system started semiconductor manufacturer, Analog Devices, Inc in 1965."

There weren't any IC's for a while after that, but yes he later switched to them.

Did you ever hear one of these, I would love to see the schematic...

"At Krohn-Hite Corp. Dick designed the laboratory UF101 Ultra-Low distortion Power Amplifier. Using type 6550 output tubes in a multiple-loop,
high-feedback system, this amplifier, rated at 0.005% distortion was manufactured in small quantity for 20 years. "

Last edited by scott wurcer; 10th December 2011 at 11:16 AM.

Old 10th December 2011, 12:05 PM   #18900
S.A.G. is offline S.A.G.  Italy
diyAudio Member

Scott,

the Krohn-Hite amp schematic is available on Dick's site at:

http://burwenaudio.com/Krohn-Hite_UF-101.pdf

Regards

Giorgio

Closed Thread

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIHide this!Advertise here!