John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
By the way I happen to have three Parasound amplifiers. I don't think any of them you had anything to do with, they were sold to me cheaply for a CES show and I still have them. Not the best sounding amps in the world but they worked well in that instance. I still have to find where I stashed one of them and then I can change all the output devices that I took out with an oscillating crossover mistake while in bridged mode! The build quality was fine, the binding post perhaps were a bit funky, but otherwise a decent product. I am sure that I would have like one of your designs more but those are the breaks. And if I remember correctly there wasn't an opamp in the unit. All discrete devices.

And if I remember correctly there wasn't an opamp in the unit. All discrete devices.
The involuntary shudder that goes through the ranks when opamps, and power amplifiers are mentioned in the same breath ... :)

One of the most impressive amps I heard 20 years ago, no looker whatsoever, drove a bit of rubbish of a speaker in a dramatically good way in a demo. With a miserable opamp inside doing all the real work ...

Some of the most powerful and impressive to the reviewer, high value British fare have used this "naughty" technique. Being politically incorrect, I guess it had to be dumped for marketing purposes ... :D

Edit: You want a real laugh?? Check out how many meaty, real men's, grunt plus guitar ampliers use a miserable $5 chip amp to do the work ... the whole thing is quite amusing, really ...

Frank

Last edited:
It is hard to say what you have without model numbers. I am only directly associated with a small portion of amps and preamps from Parasound. I don't even know who designs the rest of the models, some of which virtually directly compete with some of my designs. To be sure, they don't quibble over connectors, that is how they can offer such low prices, even with what they add to them. They buy a number of parts and share them with almost all the different models. Only the JC-series products use specifically specified parts, and of course, this increases the final product cost considerably, but I think its worth it. My really exotic stuff costs about 4 times as much as Parasound, because of the lack of production volume or manufacturing efficiency.

fas42,
Don't think that I was disrespecting opamp's in power amps. I just was mentioning that the much cheaper Parasound amps didn't have anything but discrete devices in them, I did not have to pay the big bucks for a JC Parasound to get all discrete devices.
Either way is fine, of course, but for me the smart money would be to use a top notch opamp to get the sound right. Years ago, mammoth, Krell eating, Musical Fidelity amps used the idea for a short while ...

Frank

Last edited:

Attachments

• f-latched.JPG
    f-latched.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 193
For my hifi system, i have changed a lot of RCAs for those mini XLR:
234344.jpg

Christophe,
To me it was called a Cannon connector long before I knew them as XLR connectors. So I would guess that we were using Cannon made parts.
Yes, I believe Cannon was the ones who design the standard, and we too named those plugs Cannon before Neutrik came on the market with more fashionable parts.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
George, you are exceeding your understanding of the situation. Nobody here is expected to buy a Parasound. Heck, I have a hard time convincing many of you to buy a used or broken Parasound and fixing it up. People here are just too frugal. They WANT to make their own stuff, even when we have as good or better designs available at a price lower than someone here could even buy the parts, and pay themselves minimum wage to put them together.
I believe in 'after market service'. Parasound believes in it too. But someone cannot just 'yank our chain' for no really good reason, and get us to give them something for nothing. The Parasound products have a good long term guarantee. Check it out for yourself.

Mr Curl
I really wish that it is only me who has (miss) noticed a suicidal element in this reaction from the part of the -attitudes matching- company and you.

But I have to agree with you. It is highly improbable that somebody will come in my cave asking for my opinion on purchasing an amplifier, let alone a Diasilence one. I am buried beneath my trash, rarely communicating with the outside -active market- world, practically incapable of spreading any message.

On a lesser tone.

I do understand that the fashion reality of Hi End market and the diy way of thinking/acting don’t meet.
Targets, ethics and meaning of words are different.

On the highlighted part:
You don’t lose the chance to make a point as to how an outsider you have remained in here. Not even your shoes outsoles have been wetted by the diy mug.

George

A little history of the Cannon XLR connector: XLR History

Neutrik actually comes from "New Trick" as in a better way to make an XLR type connector.

It seems there is demand on the part of users for a no latch XLR type connector. As often happens consumer desire trumps good design.

Demian,

The site here by Ray Rayburn is a nice read. Ray does serve on AES technical committees. There are a few twists he missed. The first microphone connectors used were a Hubbel twist lock. Think back to when Bogen was a major technical innovator.

The cannon XL got it's pro audio boost from the Ice Capades! The were the biggest touring show for decades. Their contract called for RCA ribbon microphones and the Cannon connectors along with the rest of a state of the art sound system.

Now the other issue that seems to be confused is the difference between a latch and a retention spring.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mr Curl
I really wish that it is only me who has (miss) noticed a suicidal element in this reaction from the part of the -attitudes matching- company and you.

But I have to agree with you. It is highly improbable that somebody will come in my cave asking for my opinion on purchasing an amplifier, let alone a Diasilence one. I am buried beneath my trash, rarely communicating with the outside -active market- world, practically incapable of spreading any message.

On a lesser tone.

I do understand that the fashion reality of Hi End market and the diy way of thinking/acting don’t meet.
Targets, ethics and meaning of words are different.

On the highlighted part:
You don’t lose the chance to make a point as to how an outsider you have remained in here. Not even your shoes outsoles have been wetted by the diy mug.

George

Some who buy high-end watch the DIY threads that have professional designers in attendance to advance our depth at analysis and selection. Some of us are also VERY sensitive to vendor attitudes toward customers whether those customers purchase high-end or not. We also compare notes.

Everyone, please understand that I have always been concerned about the legitimate concerns of customers of any manufacturer that I have worked with, as well as myself.
I backed up warranties when Mark Levinson 'dropped the ball' 35 years ago, and I have even helped with Parasound warranty problems over the decades.
However, this is something that I cannot do anything about. I can't CHANGE the connector, without voiding the warranty. I can't accuse my boss of poor quality parts, because the product sold was not a JC-series, and we apparently have had no other complaints. If the connector is actually defective, why doesn't SY recommend that it be sent back under warranty? Did they buy it from a legitimate dealer? That seems to be the only way that they could 'screw up' and void the warranty.
Now, what about Parasound's position? I have only had a couple of e-mails, back and forth, but they are adamant that they are 'in the right', and if there is a problem, perhaps SY should have gone to them first, instead of me. I would tend to agree with this.
While I approve of Neutrik connectors and INSIST upon them, at the very minimum, for all designs that I have control over, including the BLOWTORCH, I just don't have control over this design decision, that was made in Taiwan by their engineers, after the fact.
Please everyone do not read anything arrogant or complacent about this situation into my feelings or opinion presently. I would like to help, but I can't. I tried to make the case to my boss, and I was turned down. And maybe my boss knows more about the situation than me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.