John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Is this enough to convince some people that physics and philosophy are intertwined?
I guess it applies to how and how much you apply philosophy to physics. To be honest with you, you can get by just fine without considering philosophy at all. Maybe it helps when you are designing on the hairy edge of physics?

Engineering may be separate, but physics is often not separated from philosophy.
Engineering is physics applied. Speaking of engineering, ...

Did you know that IBM has successfully taken pictures of the inside of molecules? They even built some triangles no thicker that a strand of intact DNA is wide. Carbon nanotubes are involved in the process, as well as fragments of DNA. This stuff can be scary when you think about it.

-Chris

Chris, I agree with you that Joshua is being mildly disruptive, but who isn't on this thread? I just want to make the point that Joshua is not completely out of place uniting physics and philosophy. In fact, I suspect that is why audio design is so challenging. If we could measure all audio differences with the test equipment at hand, and get 100% results, we would do so. It just doesn't work that way.

I was showing that PHYSICS and PHILOSOPHY are often tied together.

Preaching to the converted here. They're tied together particularly in that people like Schroedinger and Heisenberg and Einstein had philosophical inclinations. Feynman though appeared not to have such interests, even asserting that the usefulness of philosophy of science to a scientist was akin to ornithology's usefulness to a bird. Tied together though doesn't make them the same thing - the 'shut up and calculate' mentality (sometimes, seemingly wrongly, attributed to Feynman) is apparently alive and well in the practice of physics.

Suggest adding to your growing list:

'What's wrong with physics' Lee Smolin

Philosophy and audio

Chris, I agree with you that Joshua is being mildly disruptive, but who isn't on this thread? I just want to make the point that Joshua is not completely out of place uniting physics and philosophy. In fact, I suspect that is why audio design is so challenging. If we could measure all audio differences with the test equipment at hand, and get 100% results, we would do so. It just doesn't work that way.

What makes audio so much more interesting than mere physics (for me at least) is that it always involves the listener. This is quite unlike the present state of physics which still tends to be almost exclusively concerned with 'objectivity', by definition. Joshua is indeed right to bring philosophy into audio because, when applied correctly, it neatly resolves the old objectivist/subjectivist dichotomy.

No, you were going on about several claims in an attempt to prove (I guess) that your choice in loudspeakers was better than all others.

This is only in your imagination, since I never made such a claim.

I'm recognizing that the state of the art is improving, yet we can not create perfection as yet. Can you agree this holds true for you as well?

I agree that there is no perfection, in anything, not only speakers. I never said otherwise.

I hate to tell you this, but the state of the art of measurements has advanced to a point where measurements on loudspeakers agrees closely with what listening panels will say, on average.

This for you to prove, or to give evidence to.
Also, what makes speakers different from amps in this respect?
Now, suppose it's true. In such a case, no one with intellectual integrity will comment anything about any speakers one never either heard or saw the results of the measurements you are referring to. This isn't about my speakers, it's about all speakers.

There may always be individuals that are out of the norm. In data land, these are called "fliers" and are not considered unless they are in increased numbers.

I have no idea what you refer to as norm.
I'm not choosing audio gear by the criteria that it's being liked by the masses. The masses are satisfied with audio gear that costs very much less than mine.

I'm sorry it isn't romantic, but a "dude" voicing a speaker to be just right has a remote chance at best of succeeding at this goal.

Who spoke about voicing without measurements?

What will drastically change the sound will be the room dimensions and materials used to build and furnish the structure that contains this room.

Indeed, however each speaker model has unique characteristics that are noted in most environments.

I'm pointing out your statements and defense of your loudspeaker choice.

Not really. You take general statements of mine and wrongly interpret them as an attempt to defend my choice of speakers. You twist my words and meaning to high degree.

You have been pushing these at every opportunity tied also to the statement that without hearing these, no other comments about them are valid.

This applies to all speakers, not to mine in particular.

Most notably, I've accepted that these speakers are the best choice for you, and you continue to argue on the topic. I don't understand why.

I'm only arguing your wrong interpretations of my words.

Almost all loudspeaker system manufacturers include listening tests as a form of quality control. This doubles as another source of information and confirms or denies what the measurements are showing.

Why are listening tests necessary when, according to your claim, "measurements on loudspeakers agrees closely with what listening panels will say"?

I never once said that anything should be designed without using human ears. All I said was the proper measurements will correctly predict what will sound good to the average person. People trained to hear more closely will agree even closer with these measurements.

Please make up your mind. Either measurements are enough to tell the sound quality of speakers, or they are not.

Let's make things simple for you then. Given your current speakers, if you were to hear a set as you currently have, then the same thing with no passive crossover, but rather an electronic crossover and equivalent power amplifiers to what you now own, you would choose the electronic crossover version. I have no doubt in this statement at all.

Your conviction is good or you.

Joshua, if you ever get a chance to hear a good system without a passive crossover, but rather an good electronic crossover and good amplifiers, do it.

Thank you.
Right now I'm satisfied with my present setup.
Also, it's impossible to do it with my speakers, since they have both electronic crossover and acoustic crossover.
Moreover, I heard speakers with electronic crossover. None of those I heard sounded as natural as my speakers. So, my experience shows me that electronic crossover isn't the ultimate solution for best sound.

I was showing that PHYSICS and PHILOSOPHY are often tied together.
Preaching to the converted here. They're tied together particularly in that people like Schroedinger and Heisenberg and Einstein had philosophical inclinations. Feynman though appeared not to have such interests, even asserting that the usefulness of philosophy of science to a scientist was akin to ornithology's usefulness to a bird. Tied together though doesn't make them the same thing - the 'shut up and calculate' mentality (sometimes, seemingly wrongly, attributed to Feynman) is apparently alive and well in the practice of physics.

When physics acknowledge that the observer has influence on quantum levels phenomena, ignoring looking into who or what the observer is – it's odd. Physics by itself has no answer to who or what the observer is. Modern physics cannot avoid philosophical (or metaphysical) issues. Metaphysical, mind you, is that which is beyond physics, not necessarily ghosts or demons.

What makes audio so much more interesting than mere physics (for me at least) is that it always involves the listener. This is quite unlike the present state of physics which still tends to be almost exclusively concerned with 'objectivity', by definition. Joshua is indeed right to bring philosophy into audio because, when applied correctly, it neatly resolves the old objectivist/subjectivist dichotomy.

To my view, audio doesn't solve that dichotomy. It only demonstrates that both the objective and subjective are necessary, we cannot go along successfully with just one of the two.

It's precisely a fooling process, and you couldn't find a better example to prove it.

Two wave (acoustic, electric, light, whatever) sources can't build a 3D image (unless you have a special definition of "3D", for the use of audio only). You need at least three sources for that, and the process is called "triangulation".

Of course you can hear in three dimensions with two speakers just as you can see 3D with two 2D pictures, the process is called brain power. :headshot:

Or it's just an example on how poorly controlled is the language used by the audiofools to describe their systems or components.

Maybe while the audiofools train their listening abilities, the measurementfreaks study their language. :)

Of course you can hear in three dimensions with two speakers just as you can see 3D with two 2D pictures, the process is called brain power.

Exactly. Use the brain to fill in the missing information. A fooling process called illusion.

Nothing but a brain has the capacity, starting with two speakers, of rebuilding the sonic image of a source 20 foot above the ground (to count for what is regularly called "3D")

BTW, a picture is not a punctual source. It already contains 2D information. The purpose of the second picture is to add the third piece of information, which can be either phase (as in holography) or a differential (3D cinema).

You can train your brain as much as you can train yourself magician tricks. Being able to perform such tricks doesn't make them anywhere more real.

Last edited:
When physics acknowledge that the observer has influence on quantum levels phenomena, ignoring looking into who or what the observer is – it's odd.

Only if you have little to no understanding of basic physics.

I'm amazed that people who couldn't solve a Schroedinger equation for the hydrogen atom or derive the Johnson noise equation from first principles nonetheless spout amazingly gassy and content-free philosophy with an air of arrogant certainty.

Only if you have little to no understanding of basic physics.

I'm amazed that people who couldn't solve a Schroedinger equation for the hydrogen atom or derive the Johnson noise equation from first principles nonetheless spout amazingly gassy and content-free philosophy with an air of arrogant certainty.

That would be the Nyquist noise equation.

And watch your language :rofl:

When physics acknowledge that the observer has influence on quantum levels phenomena, ignoring looking into who or what the observer is – it's odd. Physics by itself has no answer to who or what the observer is.

Yep, quite agree.

Modern physics cannot avoid philosophical (or metaphysical) issues. Metaphysical, mind you, is that which is beyond physics, not necessarily ghosts or demons.

Modern physics most certainly does avoid those issues which is one of the reasons its in such a parlous state (just read Smolin).

Exactly. Use the brain to fill in the missing information. A fooling process called illusion.

What missing information, the more accurate you can reproduce the original sound, the more usable information there is for the brain to reconstruct the event.

Nothing but a brain has the capacity, starting with two speakers, of rebuilding the sonic image of a source 20 foot above the ground (to count for what is regularly called "3D")

20 foot!!! I would love to see that instrument.

I guess 3D in audio refer to width, height and depth of the placement of instruments on the stage

You can train your brain as much as you can train yourself magician tricks. Being able to perform such tricks doesn't make them anywhere more real.

Nobody said they are real but they can sound very realistic.

Philosophizing on audio

To my view, audio doesn't solve that dichotomy.

I take it you mean philosophy rather than audio?

It only demonstrates that both the objective and subjective are necessary, we cannot go along successfully with just one of the two.

One of my favourite quotes in the realm of physics is from one of the founders of QM, Erwin Schroedinger. Its worth repeating here:

The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one perceived. Subject and object are only one. The barrier between them cannot be said to have broken down as a result of recent experience in the physical sciences, for this barrier does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.