John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NATURAL roll off delay, (open loop) could well be many microseconds. Feedback speeds this up by overshooting the input stage to compensate.

come on John - you've never trimmed feedback compensation for critical or overdamped response?

the fundamental of Black's insight, usefulness of negative feedback is trading the "excess" open loop gain for things we want - like greater linearity, desensitivity to device operating point gain/phase modulation

the gain/bandwidth, I/O impedance transformations are the basics of negative feedback theory

Last edited:
come on John - you've never trimmed feedback compensation for critical or overdamped response?

the fundamental of Black's insight, usefulness of negative feedback is trading the "excess" open loop gain for things we want - like greater linearity, desensitivity to device operating point gain/phase modulation

the gain/bandwidth, I/O impedance transformations are the basics of negative feedback theory

Not quite all JCX. For as the frequency increases, negative feedback changes phase to the input, and distortion levels rise towards and can actually become positive feedback. Luckily bandwidth is usually limited to prevent any possible oscillation from occurring. "But distortions are usually higher at frequency extremes but within the audio band.

It is also important to understand, as point "A" arrives at the output, and is fedback to the input, "A" becomes "A1" now,,, is not a one time event.
"A1" does not just disappear but again arrives at the output and is again fedback to the input at BetaEo I believe it is called (been decades since I used the terminology), now called "A2". It becomes A3 until so small as to be inconsequential. This continually happens over time. Higher rates of feedback are worse.

Cheers.

Last edited:
So now you telling us that time is not involved when a signal is phase shifted? And the waveform is not changed? :D

No, I am telling you that before arguing with poets you have to learn the language. However, you can learn it during such arguments, but I don't think it is effective: not necessary good poets whom you attack are good teachers.

As far as the knock on 'The Radiotron Designer's Handbook' It was a true masterpiece for its time, from perhaps 1940-middle '50's. This book grew every year, and was a true industry 'bible'. I have never found such a complete book on audio design in the last many decades. Any recommendations, anybody?

we were very poor when i was in college and i can only drool over this book on the store shelf........a few years ago i was able to download a copy of both RDH3 and RDH4.....it is my audio bible....:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
thd and open loop phase shift applied as feedback -

when you look at the slope of the open loop bandwidth and you only use the magnitude shown for calc/sim, the phase shift associated with the slope prevents the reduction of distortion as completely as expected. Thus, on signals, the feedback phase shift can cause distortion of harmonics.

comment/review, pls.

Last edited:
"Bode Maximal Feedback" is a specific recipe – BJ Lurie's online book chapter deals with just that

the flat gain in the "working band" is a consequence of the best management of the phase shift for a given stable response - not at all realted to Otala's concerns

see specifically the “Bode Cutoff” page online in the Classical Feedback book Chapter 4

I try not to miss any chances to recommend BJ Lurie's work - although his books are hard to understand and "buggy" - needing 2nd editions but he really shows how to use Classical Control techniques - you can still view his old site with archive.org Dr. Boris J. Lurie's Homepage: Classical Feedback Control
one thing Lurie does really well is show that the “conservation” relation for the total amount of feedback - the “Bode Integral” is exactly such a practical "good theory" - and has been the underpinning fundamental argument behind my posts in this thread

http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/19495/1/98-0905.pdf

Happy New Year, and may all of your nonlinearities be Locally Lipschitz

and Lurie points out how to use much more working band feedback with his Nyquist Stable page

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
"Bode Maximal Feedback" is a specific recipe – BJ Lurie's online book chapter deals with just that

and Lurie points out how to use much more working band feedback with his Nyquist Stable page

but was he interested in or looked at the affect of the phase shift of the fedback signal in altering the harmonic structure compared to a non-phase shifted feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.