John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
zinsula said:
No thanks. I stated what I believe is "real". No need for endless discussions.
Genuine discussions are good. People learn things from genuine discussions. Stating what you believe to be "real" then putting your fingers in your ears is not a discussion.

zinsula said:
Interestingly, they agree on many things (what does that tell us btw?).
Suicide bombers agree on many things - what does that tell us? Perhaps that Dawkins' idea of memes may have an element of truth in it.

In a dictatorship things can be declared to be 'true' by an authority. In a democracy things can be declared to be 'true' by a majority. In capitalism things can be declared to be 'true' with money. Science, maths and engineering don't work like that. Proof by assertion, proof by popularity and proof by sales figures are not valid there.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
We agree. Analog is the lost art. E/M field theory is basically abandoned.

I have found very few post docs who really get it.

I lament the current state of education in these fields.

jn

So very true. And despite its crucial importance for all hardware advances, I still hear people, usually at the periphery of the field, expressing the notion that analog is obsolete. I had a speaker designer say to me over dinner at an AES convention in 1997 "So I guess you don't have anything to do now?"

This attitude is almost as prevalent as the misunderstandings of what "digital" actually is. The notion is often that something that switches is inherently digital. This reached total absurdity at Harman many years ago, when the ad copy writers were told that a switching power supply was a "digital" power supply (it used a Power Integrations IC).

This is not to disparage using the symbol domain (or numerical domain as some prefer) where it is appropriate. And as I remarked once, it's almost feasible to do useful work fresh out of school based on a curriculum heavy on "digital", whereas analog design takes quite a bit longer to reach a level of productive competence. And there are precious few teachers out there.

Well said, Vlad.
Now to attempt to answer your question about Ft in output devices:
In the beginning, at least in my design lifetime, the practical Ft of complementary output devices started at about 2MHz. It is, of course, possible to build audio amplifiers with a device with an Ft of 2MHz, and most of the early power amps, like the Ampzilla, were made with devices like these. These transistors did not have many other 'quality' factors going for them, either, except for a higher second breakdown capability than the lower safe area 4MHz devices that were popular also. In fact, the 4MHz devices, from the same manufacturer, showed twice the practical linearity as a follower, and twice the potential slew rate, as well.
So if you wanted to make a complementary output high power amplifier, you would have to use 2MHz parts, (Like the Gale amp, in my case), and if you wanted more inherent linearity, you would use the 4MHz parts, but be stuck with low working voltages, (like the JC-3, in my case), in fact, anything beyond +/- 25V was getting into dangerous territory.
Now here come the Japanese devices. Apparently, these devices were thought out independently from the American designs, and they came to show a number of attributes that are not easily denied. They have good safe area, allowing power supply voltages up to +/- 90V, they are much higher in Ft, and they have very good beta linearity. They are just BETTER overall.
Now what is the advantage with much higher Ft? I can only point out two things: The effective slew rate can be increased dramatically, and the output coil can be removed if you throw away some of the effective slew rate potential and compensate the amp to be unconditionally stable with a difficult load.
While 2MHz devices are still made, they have few real advantages. One potential advantage is more peak current, up to 50A. We compensate for this by just using more output devices in parallel. We get the peak current, a better heat spread, to improve cooling, and we still get the linear beta and high speed. I hope this helps.

John, thanks for your reply. One more aspect that I would like to be touched is the role of output transistors Ft in functioning of GNFB mechanism.
By taking respective measures against dynamic overloading of any stage of an amp, one can get equal technical features at 20...20kHz range of two amps with various output transistors.
But, listening experience says another. Being built on the ground of the same schematic, the amp version with Ft=200MHz output transistors sounds better than the same amp with 20MHz flat h21 japaneese transistors. When we had a listening session with these two amps, people mentioned that 20MHz version sounded as a very good transistor amp, while a sound of the 200MHz amp was qualified as a good vintage tube amp sound, but with perfect bottom end. Passband of both amps was limited by input LP filter around 1 MHz.
I have realised that the subject of IMD is not at its final form yet.

Last edited:
Genuine discussions are good. People learn things from genuine discussions. Stating what you believe to be "real" then putting your fingers in your ears is not a discussion.[...]
There are enough discussions about this, hence no need to restart. Anyone interested can read upon, in this very thread.

[...]Science, maths and engineering don't work like that. Proof by assertion, proof by popularity and proof by sales figures are not valid there.
I like the genuine suggestions of some here. They have enough credibility for me.

Though there are only a few who do most of the commenting here - it would seem that way. but even these few wise men havent had anything at all new to add to the body of knowledge as far as i have read.

Wow Dick, I never expected a comment like that, maybe you should read the archives. I also love the implication that solid engineering just doesn't quite make "what sounds good". I sure glad the diagnostic value of data collected in medical instruments doesn't relay on these unmeasurable nuances of component behavior.

Zinsula - Don't you also hang out at a place with a long AD815 thread? Well, it does have more than 8 legs. The cast of characters you mention have also disagreed, or at least have made contradictory statements at times.

jcx - The JC-3 controversy can be put in a couple of very simple algebraic equations, no sims required. When confronted one side ran away.

Last edited:
So very true. And despite its crucial importance for all hardware advances, I still hear people, usually at the periphery of the field, expressing the notion that analog is obsolete. I had a speaker designer say to me over dinner at an AES convention in 1997 "So I guess you don't have anything to do now?"

This attitude is almost as prevalent as the misunderstandings of what "digital" actually is. The notion is often that something that switches is inherently digital. This reached total absurdity at Harman many years ago, when the ad copy writers were told that a switching power supply was a "digital" power supply (it used a Power Integrations IC).

This is not to disparage using the symbol domain (or numerical domain as some prefer) where it is appropriate. And as I remarked once, it's almost feasible to do useful work fresh out of school based on a curriculum heavy on "digital", whereas analog design takes quite a bit longer to reach a level of productive competence. And there are precious few teachers out there.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
After entering our local university as a EE major, it was time to get approval from the assistant dean to approve our specific major.

I presented my documents and he became very angry with me because I wanted to focus on analog engineering. He refused to approve it and told me I could leave school or target digital courses to continue. He told me that he was doing me a favor! :mad: I recall this happened around 1984.

Last edited:
jcx - The JC-3 controversy can be put in a couple of very simple algebraic equations, no sims required. When confronted one side ran away.

equations?? - you must be joking - expect the audience I was addressing would admit any equation describes a circuit's operation?

I do hope that even those allergic to math but somehow doing circuit design would be more comfortable with schematics, sims

I provided source files so genuinely interested circuit designers could poke, modify - even show where I was wrong

I did move from the idealized to to more "realistic" modeling hoping to get some interaction, constructive argument rather the flat rejection of the analysis

now the same crowd is once again doing the "waving the bloody shirt" rhetorical thing about closed minded engineers

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Whose definition? I've always understood noise to mean anything that's unwanted (i.e. anything that's NOT the "signal"), whether it's random or not.

se

If precision is needed the term "stochastic process" and allied terms can be used, but the substitution "random noise" is what one usually sees.

I wrote a paper once where, early on, I made a distinction about uses of the term "noise", and said all noise discussed would be random noise unless it was stated otherwise. Then I noticed, after I submitted the document, that I'd never mentioned anything otherwise :D But it was an unedited and unrefereed thing for SPIE. Beware, it has some errors, although the basic conclusions about charge preamp optimization are correct, qualititatively (and not too far off quantitatively).

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
After entering our local university as a EE major, it was time to get approval from the assistant dean to approve our specific major.

I presented my documents and he became very angry with me because I wanted to focus on analog engineering. He refused to approve it and told me I could leave school or target digital courses to continue. He told me that he was doing me a favor! :mad: I recall this happened around 1984.

That's disgraceful, but it does underscore my remark about the dearth of good teachers.

E/M field theory has to be relearned for those that do high speed digital layout, and though seperate in many ways again high speed digital uses various analogue functions such as s-parameters for simulation.
Analogue is not totaly dead, but you do find that real analogue engineers are becoming fewer when you go to different establishments and they tend to be older, though where I am now has numerous analogue enginers(and acoustic ones) so its nice to know there are still some. Agree though digital is seen as the main stay of electronics, though with digital you do have to have a large software team in the background... Maybe its the sexier option at Uni these days, whereas analogue is seen as old fashioned.

Fourier transform infrared photoacoustic spectroscopy, specifically of electrically conducting polymers. My work involved acquiring and manipulating extremely small acoustic signals (nominally not periodic!) using condenser microphones. That's where I learned low noise design, since the commercially available preamps were not satisfactory.

Irrespective of whether noise is random (it certainly is by definition), any finite length time domain noise signal can be treated as periodic and Fourier transformed to give the frequency representation. And back again to generate the original noise signal. That's really basic stuff which has been explained to you again and again.

SY,

All things are finite length in practice. In theory you can have big and small infinities and steady state. Are you telling me you can't distinguish between the analysis and the implementation?

ES

E/M field theory has to be relearned for those that do high speed digital layout, and though seperate in many ways again high speed digital uses various analogue functions such as s-parameters for simulation.
I see some ground plane teachings, as well as stripline stuff and lead inductance lumps/understandings. But I really do not see much in the way of real understanding of E/M theory coming out of the Uni's beyond the simple math manipulations.

Analogue is not totaly dead, but you do find that real analogue engineers are becoming fewer when you go to different establishments and they tend to be older, though where I am now has numerous analogue enginers(and acoustic ones) so its nice to know there are still some. Agree though digital is seen as the main stay of electronics, though with digital you do have to have a large software team in the background... Maybe its the sexier option at Uni these days, whereas analogue is seen as old fashioned.

Actually, digital was pretty much viewed as sexier back in '78-79.

jn

Dick,

I am now at a computer rather than a phone so I could look at your capacitor ESR piece. (As I mentioned I had been taking some breaks.. about six in the foot and a few in the rib cage,)

The issue I was trying to get at is that to me the math shows that distortion must increase in any series capacitor circuit even well above cut off. Some of this is due to the tilt that is always present because of the still decreasing capacitive reactance. That is not done by an increase in the harmonics but rather a decrease in the fundamental.

As you show DF also can be modeled as another RC network in parallel that also decreases with rising frequency. So although there is no generation of new harmonics the distortion again rises due to the decrease of the fundamental.

Now there is still the issue of what out of band low frequencies do when confronted with both a theoretical capacitor and real capacitor forming a high pass filter.

That is where I think the C dv/dt term becomes more important. The most basic issue is that there is a baseline of vibration everywhere (.005 G is very still.) Now when you have a large DC voltage across a capacitor that has been oversized for bandwidth considerations the microphonic (dc/dt) energy may be of concern as it can become large enough to be a non harmonically relate signal large enough not to be masked by low level signals.

Then there is the issue of the microphonic effect even when no DC is present due to sub audio modulations such as record warp.

Now none of this is new. It is just not common knowledge. There are folks who laugh at isolation pads under preamps etc, not understanding that they may actually provide improvement for some circuits. (As would mounting considerations for the capacitors.)

Status
Not open for further replies.