John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is one of the leading tape machine refurbishers is throwing out the FET's and putting in IC's. He must have a very different idea of "perfect" sound.

As John already said - he's throwing out FET switches and, I guess, is replacing standart ICs with BB ones. But, a Tascam BR-20T is a Tascam BR-20T, no matter how well masqueraded.
9.6k for a stamped steel chassis and fixed tape guides? :confused: :crazy:
As they say, a sucker is born every minute.

Attachments

• steel.JPG
    steel.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 209
Not really, when you compare the ANALOG ELECTRONICS after a typical DA converter. I just got a 192K-24 bit 2 ch sound card, and it is only marginally hi end quality.
Analog tape playback does NOT have the DIGITAL problems that many audiophiles (like me) hear, and are NEVER satisfied just with digital.
Others, like Scott, seem to not notice digital problems, anymore, lucky him! '-)

I suspect it would be entertaining to see a "audit" of the Tape Project "transfer accuracy" - SOTA pro/studio quality ADC of their studio master output vs their copy machines output, vs "best" and "typical" home playback - how often/well do the end users calibrate/align their machines?

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Why Mr Martin,

for all we know, you could be doing your cooking on a Viking, the only "Ultra High End" (kitchen) furnace in town.

And for the price, it might as well have BMF Vishays inside.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/simcityplan/inside post/conrad johnson/7ce34a45.jpg

Viking? A pretender to Ultra high end. These are the "real thing": La Cornue Ranges, La Cornue Stoves & La Cornue Ovens | Williams-Sonoma all manual valves. And for the even more quirky and more pretentious (and expensive): The Aga Legend: Radiant Heat Cooking: Ranges, Ovens, Stoves with no valves at all.

Its unlikely that one of these would make you a world class chef, or that a world class chef could not cook on a hot plate from a thrift store and make something exceptional.

Most kitchen remodels cost more than high end audio systems, with the average reputed to be $45K and premium ones costing much more.

My point was that the relays exist not for high end audio but for much more mundane purposes.

A pretender to Ultra high end.

Vikings are sold here in the more luxurious DIY home centers.
Lacanche and Molteni are more my thing. (i've cooked on a classic Aga, tricky stuff)

My point is that a reel to reel still is mundane, and Tascam was the last of a dying race, relatively cheap too in the final years.
(as is Viking, Sub Zero fridges are cool though)

Last edited:
I should start with disclaimer first: I am neither against DIGITAL nor ANALOG. They both happily coexist in my world :)

Not really, when you compare the ANALOG ELECTRONICS after a typical DA converter. I just got a 192K-24 bit 2 ch sound card, and it is only marginally hi end quality.
Analog tape playback does NOT have the DIGITAL problems that many audiophiles (like me) hear, and are NEVER satisfied just with digital.
Others, like Scott, seem to not notice digital problems, anymore, lucky him! '-)

IMHO, high quality digital record/playback has gotten very very good these days. One just have to select the right equipment.
John, why don't you design post DA stage using "Vendetta's" style topology and be done with it? Transconductance amp, that is capable of withstanding fast transients is what is needed there.
Saying that one has 192k-24 capable equipment is about as informative as saying that he/she has amplifier with 0.0001% THD. Besides, sound cards are never high end. Think of environment they're operating.
Yes, digital has its problems, but are people, those that are raving about analog tape recording/playback, aware of problems and unavoidable errors it has? Where should I start?

1. Head bumps due head geometry.
2. Gap loss.
3. Spacing loss.
4. Azimuth errors.
5. Cable C and head L resonance.
6. Phase errors due to non complimentary pre-/deemphasis.
7. Freq. response errors inevitably created by differences between various calibration tapes.
8. Tape noise. Yes, noise ;)
9. HF loss by tape some time after recording.
9. Post or pre-echo due to tape storage.
10. Flutter.
11. Scrape flutter.
12. Speed stability.
13. Tape moving up and down due to imperfect tape path.
14. Generation loss (when dealing with copies of "master tapes").

Did I miss anything?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kinda old news, but legit. Have a look around some other sections of this site and you'll see a lot of folks replacing the analog section as it's a well known weak spot. I first saw it done in the 80s with a GoldStar (now LG) CD player modified for tube output. DAC hot-rodding is a long tradition.

Speaking of the 80s, we were still using 30ips then on our Studer and other tape machines. 15ips was for home recording sissies. :p

Lousy analog tape electronics and tape is forgettable. Quality analog tape electronics AND fortunate tape recordings, from the past, are unforgettable.

True dat ... :cheers:

I have a whole bunch of reel-to-reel recorders, mostly modified better than stock, in storage. I might just get 1 or 2 out, and listen, today, for myself.

You should , yanked the Teac out a couple years ago , with good tapes the sound is good and I'm sure with refurbished caps and PSU it would be a lot better . While not as good as my digital , it impressed all who have heard it sing ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.