John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve,

Normally I would defer to you about peeing on an electric fence, but there is an issue or two you might have overlooked. Shoes can have leather soles. These really don't insulate very well. Wear and moisture take a toll.

Then there is the issue of the stream's cohesion. This may be affected by what you eat and your general health. It may be hard to believe, but there is the chance that alcohol was involved in the decision to pee on an electric fence. I know it is hard to believe, but at least the possibility is there.

Now traveling down that stream of thought is that the beverage consumed just might have been beer. Perhaps even in large quantities. That just might account for a larger volume and increased pressure.

Then comes the issue of aim. Perhaps that might have contributed to the shoe's conductivity.

Ah yes the Blowtorch thread, so much audio knowledge to be found here!

SY,

This is an audio website, why are you trying to introduce actual research and facts. Shame on you. :)

"Upon retesting the myth on an electric fence it was found to be Plausible, but the rail was still Busted. Distance was the factor, as the urine stream breaks up less at the close range needed for urinating on the fence than urinating on the third rail, thus ensuring a direct line of current between ones body and the electrical source."

ES

Last edited:
So have you ever tried adding Bybee devices to the spark plug wires? :) But at least that is something closer.

I am buying a new car this week and did price a Bentley! I will however stick to a car I can get repaired easily.

Now if you want to talk about annoying, all the car salesman feel they have to call at least three times!

One of these days I really gotta make all those measurements SY did not do!

PMA, I use Bybee devices in my audio system. I don't use the latest devices, because I can't afford them, even with a substantial discount, but that does NOT make them any less an 'improver' of audio quality.
I have done the listening comparisons myself, and I just talked to Jack Bybee yesterday, but even more important is that I had breakfast, over the weekend, with someone who works closely with Jack Bybee, a fellow with multiple degrees in physics and engineering. Someone I am working with to design the next generation of power amplifiers. He is AMAZED at what Jack Bybee makes, and he has done recent listening tests where the SMALLEST sort of change in a component can be detected and selected one over the other. The sorts of things that WE talk about, are outside the general discussion here, PMA, but you would do well to not make fun of them.
I might point out that the latest 'TAS' gave my 25 year old Vendetta Research SCP-2, 5th place in the 'The 12 most significant preamplifiers of all time'. It isn't just the placement, but the commentary, such as: "The SCP-2 set a new standard in phonostage clarity, transparency, dynamics, and sheer musicality. Moreover, the SCP-2 was by far the quietest phonostage ever produced. ..."
And I hardly know the guy!
Now, we know, specs are specs, and good specs help, but did I achieve such a place in history with just specs? No, it was also the human effort of 'doing everything as good as possible'. Cleaning, scraping, both physically and chemically (Freon was available then) each and every part before soldering with the best possible solder for the application, with the best board layout, the best connectors, and the best wire available to attach to those connectors, again soldered with a minimum number of 'contacts', etc, etc.
No short cuts, nothing was done to get around 'doing it right'. It paid off, didn't it?

Last edited:
Folks with Bentleys don't usually worry about that. You could ask the local Ritz Carlton if they wanted to use the extra as a prop. When we stayed at the Ritz Pasadena there were three parked in front.

Great idea I'll try it! :)

If you have ever been to the Corvette Museum they have the Handicapped spaces right by the door, next to them are the spaces reserved for Corvette owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.