John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
If you look at the spectra, it's interesting how much it looks like a multi-tone test signal at a fairly high frequency. The guys from Lexicon told me the reed sound on sax was excellent for judging A/D 's or DAC's.

When I was a teenager I was urged to join the Robin Hood Band, an youthful outfit sponsored by the Foresters (basically an insurance company masquerading as a fraternal organization). My teacher wanted me to get some ensemble experience with good players. The first chair alto sax player was Fred Selden, who went on to a musical career which continues to this day.

At one point, seeking I guess to encourage us, the leader of the group, David Baskerville, told us about this fine player in NYC (Al Gallodoro) whose tone was described as sounding like six flutes.

As Fred rather favored a sound resembling Bud Shank's, he took exception to this flute-like tone being necessarily a good thing :D

Hi Jacco,

Mr Simon,

that is somewhat amusing.

It took me less than a hour to read this paper

Given one of my talents I could probably read it in less than that (as in having taking in all the words and equations).

However, READING something in record time does not reliably provide an indication that what was read was also understood.

Often I have major BFO's# several month (sometimes years) after reading a paper that finally illuminate a thorough understanding of the topic and content of the paper, previously closed to me.

It is comforting to know there are those who have majorly superior abilities to mine and completely and thoroughly understand complex papers in less than a single hour.

Ciao T

# BFO = Blinding Flash of the Obvious

As i said..almost every day I read something new on this, that breaks the glass ceiling.

Superluminal:Faster-than-light (also superluminal or FTL) communications and travel refer to the propagation of information or matter faster than the speed of light. Under the special theory of relativity, a particle (that has rest mass) with subluminal velocity needs infinite energy to accelerate to the speed of light, although special relativity does not forbid the existence of particles that travel faster than light at all times (tachyons).

On the other hand, what some physicists refer to as "apparent" or "effective" FTL[1][2][3][4] depends on the hypothesis that unusually distorted regions of spacetime might permit matter to reach distant locations in less time than light could in normal or undistorted spacetime. Although according to current theories matter is still required to travel subluminally with respect to the locally distorted spacetime region, apparent FTL is not excluded by general relativity.

Examples of FTL proposals are changing the "frequency" of mass to a higher state by applying high-frequency waves of energy, the Alcubierre drive, and the traversable wormhole, although the physical plausibility of some of these solutions is uncertain.

Faster-than-light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, fast, and faster:

Scientists in PML's Quantum Measurement Division have produced the first superluminal light pulses made by using a technique called four-wave mixing, creating two separate pulses whose peaks propagate faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Laser Cooling and Trapping Group researcher Paul Lett and colleagues report in a forthcoming paper in Physical Review Letters that this new method of generating “fast light” has resulted in a pulse that travels up to 50 ns faster over the length of a 1.7-cm cell than it would if it were moving through a vacuum.

The findings could have a significant impact on optical communications systems in which signal quality may be improved by speeding up or slowing down pulses. In addition, investigation of the quantum-mechanical correlations between the seed and conjugate pulses will provide fundamental insights into quantum coherence, with potential implications for future quantum information-processing.

Many methods of generating faster-than-light pulses involve sending a pulse composed of multiple wavelengths into a non-linear gain medium. The dispersion properties of the medium (that is, the way it changes a wave’s phase velocity depending on its frequency) rearrange the pulse components so that the pulse peak is shifted forward, producing apparent superluminal velocity for the entire group of waves. Conversely, “slow light” pulses can be generated by adjusting conditions so that the peak is shifted backward.

In the PML four-wave mixing experiment (see Figure 1), researchers send “seed” pulses of laser light into a heated cell containing the gain medium, atomic rubidium vapor, along with a separate “pump” beam at a different frequency from the seed pulses. In the medium, the seed pulse is amplified and its peak is shifted so that it becomes superluminal. At the same time, photons from the inserted beams interact with the medium to generate a second pulse, called the “conjugate” because of its mathematical relationship to the seed. Its peak too, the scientists found, can travel faster than an unaltered reference pulse would in a vacuum. Or it can be tuned to travel slower.

First, fast, and faster

~~~~~

Oh. the 'gain medium' is a gaseous - ionic....fluid. Never would have guessed.

Last edited:
Mr Loesch,

my point was not whether it takes an hour or a day.

Most on the math on that paper is notation and definition.
Without the math exercise, such a paper is comparable to equations on chalkboards in movies : very "impressive", but zero subtle stuff.
I'm not into competition bragging, btw.

Definitions, boy do they take me forever to understand. Really.

I read through it 'rather quickly', however, completely understanding what I read, and comparing the original from the Heaviside model, or even the NEWER models: That is the challenge.
A small aside, just think of me, 50 years ago, 1/2 asleep in class and CURL is mentioned as part of the classwork. I certainly got 'jogged to full awakeness' on a regular basis. '-)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
http://staff.polito.it/domenic.dambrosio/index_file/DAmbrosioGiordanoBruno_AIAA-2009-3910.pdf

The effects of the interaction between electromagnetic fields and partially ionized gases are interesting for atmospheric
reentry applications because they can potentially reduce the heat flux to a space vehicle surface and allow
for aerodynamic control.
Dear Jacco

If you get the chance to have a closer look on the aerodynamically critical fuselage nose and wings L.E. areas of Space Shuttle, (areas, in front of which a thin layer of plasma is developed during atmospheric reentry), you will probably think that the quoted text from the Introduction of your linked document, does not hold water (besides, Proff. Arghiris from university of Stuttgart had done his job adequately well).

I would hazard the guess that the linked research has to do with what goes on inside a Hall effect thruster (westerns are strangling to catch up). There, it certainly does matter whether – and where- plasma is electrically neutral.

I too need only an hour to read this work (using the analogy of the: “God created the universe in 7 days”). :D

George,

When you get a paper like the one you posted, it is a summary of lifetimes of work. Keep in mind it took more than hours and more likely weeks or months to write. That is from someone who is an expert in the field.

So it is reasonable to expect to spend a month really reading and examining the material.

Although with a good engineering math background you might be able to do it faster, I suspect doing so will miss a lot of the subtle stuff.

ES

Well, I take it as a request to postpone Monday’s exams. Am I correct?

Even going slowly through high math formulas makes me feel disoriented. Who spoke about speeding up? :wchair:

George

The recording I just put up was all Scott's equipment- he was here visiting me for a few days to coincide with Jan Didden's visit, and we just set up the mikes and let Southpaw rip. My own mikes (used on the Lee Barber recording) are ribbons, so the preamp design is quite different than Scott's, which is for electret condensers. Very different polar patterns, very different sound. Both recordings made my dog howl.

You keep implying that any of this applies to some paper or plastic cones flapping in the breeze.

When ions get closer: New physical attraction between ions in quantum plasmas

Prof. Dr. Padma Kant Shukla and Dr. Bengt Eliasson found a previously unknown phenomenon in quantum plasmas. A negatively charged potential makes it possible to combine positively charged particles (ions) in atom-like structures within the plasma. In this way, current can be conducted much more quickly and efficiently than before, opening new perspectives for nanotechnology. The researchers report on their findings in Physical Review Letters.

An ordinary plasma is an ionized electrically conducting gas consisting of positive (ions) and negative charge carriers (so-called non-degenerate electrons). This is the chief constituent of our solar system. On Earth, such plasmas among others can be used to produce energy in controlled thermonuclear fusion plasmas similar to the sun, or even to fight disease in the medical application field.

Quantum plasmas extend the area of application to nano-scales, where quantum-mechanical effects gain significance. This is the case when, in comparison to normal plasmas, the plasma density is very high and the temperature is low. Then the newly discovered potential occurs, which is caused by collective interaction processes of degenerate electrons with the quantum plasma. Such plasmas can be found, for example, in cores of stars with a dwindling nuclear energy supply (white dwarfs), or they can be produced artificially in the laboratory by means of laser irradiation. The new negative potential causes an attractive force between the ions, which then form lattices. They are compressed and the distances between them shortened, so that current can flow through them much faster.

Nanotechnology Now - Press Release: "Nanospire’s Cavitation Re-Entrant Jets Useful in Micro-Nano Fabrication"

The founder and CEO of Nanospire, Mr. Mark. L. LeClair examined the cavitation machining for jets in early 2004. He found a crystalline form of water created by cavitation. The faceted jets had enormous electrostatic charge. By applying electrostatic charge, the crystalline jets etched lengthy semi hexagonal trenches which resulted in increased removal of substances.

The crystals were accelerated due to their attraction towards the supersonic bow shock produced by the Casimir Force. This acceleration resulted in the relativistic speeds of crystals in extremely short distances. This phenomenon was called the LeClair effect. High elemental transmutation was witnessed due to the bow shock.

~~~~~~~~~
the 'propagation rate' of a Brown's gas flame, if the gas is 'ignited' (it is actually an electrical function in the case of browns gas, it is an IMPLOSION)..is mach +25, or over 8900m a second. The flame, is on record, when applied to different materials... it is on record as transmutating elements. independent correlation.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going back to the other point about the 4 wave mixing as creating superluminal waves, well, in the case of the audio cable being of a truly fluid nature at the molecular level, the cable is on record as having a few picofards of capacitance.

So, you can take the cable and measure it in the normal sense of using a LCR meter and get a number. A different one. If you try a different signal and methodology of testing, you'll get a different number again. If this is indeed true and the above three aspects are true, then it is a change in the transfer medium that is responsible for the change in results. Results coming from knowing how and where to look. a true and fundamental differential.

In this case, one of a molecular or atomic fluid. (water, for example- the human body anyone?) Which could be considered to be a 'quantum mass aggregate', ie, gaseous in response, quantum in response, but of high mass. Bridging the gap, so to speak. The signal and the transfer medium in a state of mutual interaction which is much more favorable to the signal. And thus, showing standard thinking and methodology around the idea of electrical systems, in the newtonian sense...showing those aspects to be incomplete and coming up short. In the real world. Today.

The cable was tested by differing firms, and overall, it exhibits all of the above effects and conditionals.

Yet, it is just an audio cable, isn't it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.