John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Technocrats" may view that there are quite a few.

Quite a few of what?

Anyhow, I have no interest in technocrats' views. Each is eligible to ones' own view, though I have no personal interest in all views.
There are people who use the verbal coin "audiofools", so what? Whatever other people view me as, have no impact on who I am and what I am. I'm not into wanting to be liked and appreciated by as many people as possible. I prefer better enjoying listening to music than others liking me.

If you're that much into music I suggest taking piano lessons.
Much more musical satisfaction than any HiFi system, let alone DIY/Audio forums.

Thank you.
Apparently, people who don't know me personally have no clue about the degree I enjoy listening to music at home.
I go often to live concerts, however I can do it only once or few times a month. Listening to reproduced music I enjoy almost every day.
I'm too old to start piano lessons, I don't own a piano and I cannot afford one. I thought of taking recorder lessons, however music lessons have nothing to do with my sound setup.
Possibly you confuse the joy of making music with the joy of listening to music.
As for me participating in forums, I do it in order to gain knowledge and information, not in order to derive joy from it.

If you're that much into music I suggest taking piano lessons.
Much more musical satisfaction than any HiFi system, let alone DIY/Audio forums.

I took piano lessons as a youth. The satisfaction of playing piano is indeed rewarding but of a different kind to the satisfaction of developing one's own audio system. They're complementary in a way - I use the recordings of the masters to inform my own playing. The better the system, the easier it is to listen deeper into the particular pianist's rendition.

And quite often (though not exclusively) its picking at a caricature of an audiophile.

Audiophiles are very different. For example, about 5 years ago when I told to one audiophile that I am engineer he started using me as a bad example in front of his potential buyer. He almost was spitting on me telling him how bad are engineers who don't understand magic of sound reproduction. Telling that he pointed finger on me, as if I am guilty in all sins of audio design engineers.
Other audiophiles who I met an year ago gave very positive review to my Gubernator amp prototype, despite it contained semiconductor devices. And their reaction on presence of semiconductors was totally different than reaction I expected reading this forum. Actually, there was no reaction except curiosity.

Thank you.
Apparently, people who don't know me personally have no clue about the degree I enjoy listening to music at home.
I go often to live concerts, however I can do it only once or few times a month. Listening to reproduced music I enjoy almost every day.

We all do.
It's just that some go to great lengths to describe how much they love music to justify their consumerism/big_boys_with_expensive_toys hobbies.
Others are more honest about it - at least when their wife isn't present.

I'm too old to start piano lessons, I don't own a piano and I cannot afford one. I thought of taking recorder lessons, however music lessons have nothing to do with my sound setup.

So you can afford an expensive HiFi and not a piano or piano lessons?
I doubt it, unless you really want to buy a Steinway and have a world renowned piano soloist as a private tutor.

Possibly you confuse the joy of making music with the joy of listening to music.

I don't confuse anything.
If music is your number 1 priority, there are other more effective ways to bring you "closer" to it than any HiFi system ever will.
And if a song/performance means anything to you, it'll still "touch" you, even if you listen on a cheap car stereo or through crappy TV speakers...
That's if you're interested and can focus in the artistic essence of music and not the "instrument separation" or "singer's breath on the mic" and other audiophoolery...

I took piano lessons as a youth. The satisfaction of playing piano is indeed rewarding but of a different kind to the satisfaction of developing one's own audio system.

True.
One is art, the other is a technological hobby.

Last edited:
What is wrong in desire to have as best as possible sound quality reproduction? Should we be ashamed of such desire?

Nothing wrong - that's why I never said that.
It's just funny to see some trying persuade the rest that those who make their gear are "artists" or trying to attribute their huge HiFi investment and constant "upgrades" to their love of "art"...

Nothing wrong - that's why I never said that.
It's just funny to see some trying persuade the rest that those who make their gear are "artists" or trying to attribute their huge HiFi investment and constant "upgrades" to their love of "art"...

What if somebody likes equipment you made for them, and call you "artist", would your efforts to make such equipment be rewarded? What if somebody invests in your work, so you can do it better?

Hi,

This thread has lost ANY sense. It would be best to lock it, IMO, and go ahead elsewhere.

The threat is a massive META thread with more off topic posts than on topic.

However if it was locked, would that resolve the debate?

Would it reconcile the opposite views?

Would it produce synthesis from thesis and antithesis?

Or would simply restore the same futile argument, the same senseless debate (which lacks any resolution as both sides would need to adjust their positions and neither is willing to do so) in a different location?

Locking this thread would serve no purpose.

I previously suggested a few options that may be taken by the Moderation team to cut down this waste of time, gigabytes of hard drive space and human effort, non have been considered acceptable.

As long as we have both opposite side debating in the same thread one will invariably challenge the other sooner or later when their tolerance to what they consider BS (be it the sound of wire or relevance of ABX tests) has been exceeded.

Anyone in favour of locking this thread should be in favour of ways to contain this debate and leave those who wish to debate things from a so called "subjectivist" viewpoint to do this peace and those who want debate things from a so called "objectivist" viewpoint to do so in peace. Neither side is interested in the other sides point of view, neither wants to know. Some from either side may wish to break a lance, go proselytising and so on. This is what causes friction.

An excellent example on what I would suggest makes sense here was the position, that the Zamorin of Calicut took in antiquity on the subject of religion. As Ibn Battutah related in his chronicles, he not only declared complete religious freedom for Calicut (unheard of in the 14th century in any other area), he even build temples, mosques and churches out of his own purse, to allow anyone to practice their religion freely and with any hindrance.

The only thing religious that carried heave sentences in Calicut was public proselytising and public religious debate. These where absolutely banned. From what I read it was a very happy place where everyone got on with each other fabulously.

Ciao T

Last edited:
Hi,

Audiophiles are very different. For example, about 5 years ago when I told to one audiophile that I am engineer he started using me as a bad example in front of his potential buyer.

He sound slike some 2nd hand car sales people I know. Are you sure he was a real audiophile, or just a 2nd hand car sales man posing as one?

:D

You would not believe what 2nd Hand Car Sales men and Encyclopedia Sales men will do for a sale...

Monty Python Burglar Sketch - YouTube

Ciao T

If music is your number 1 priority, there are other more effective ways to bring you "closer" to it than any HiFi system ever will.

Other than attending live concerts, my primary priority is the degree I enjoy reproduced music. I enjoy listening to music through my car radio, but I enjoy better listening to music on my living room. Should I put in my living room a portable radio-CD instead of my present setup, I'd still enjoy listening to music, but to a degree far lesser than at present. It's about how close to live music the reproduced music is.

Status
Not open for further replies.